• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Approach Options

MRSU

Smash Rookie
NNID
MRSUNNNNNNNNNNNN
What are the best ways to approach spacies, marth, floaties, etc. From neutral? I'm trying to build on my sheik game as a player that is new to the game, and I know you can choose options such as dashdance grab or waved ash back, and wait for them to throw out a move for you to punish, but I would like to know what other options I have for different situations. Thanks.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
(1) grounded movement to bait something out
(2) platform movement to bait something out
(3) ledge stalls to bait something out
(4) you're already tech chasing

Those are your options. Then you punish with fun stuff. But as Sheik, approaching is always a no-no, unless you've conditioned them and are confident they'll fall for an unsafe approach. That said, you do have safe-ish options on shield to try catch opponents slipping, like shffl Bair/Fair, Nair oos, needles, approaching rnc Bair.

Last edited:

MRSU

Smash Rookie
NNID
MRSUNNNNNNNNNNNN
(1) grounded movement to bait something out
(2) platform movement to bait something out
(3) ledge stalls to bait something out
(4) you're already tech chasing

Those are your options. Then you punish with fun stuff. But as Sheik, approaching is always a no-no, unless you've conditioned them and are confident they'll fall for an unsafe approach. That said, you do have safe-ish options on shield to try catch opponents slipping, like shffl Bair/Fair, Nair oos, needles, approaching rnc Bair.
Thank you so much! This will help me a lot.

Ministry

Smash Ace
i think approaching is a wrong way to look at sheik IMO. she doesn't approach like any other character. she more or less closes distance, gains space and stage position and pressures opponents by holding ground and creating walls. so if you think of it that way, you should aim to take center stage and from then on out, use moves to bait opponents to make positional mistakes in which Ur Ariel is waiting, or to whiff ground moves, which you can grab. shes more of a action reaction character in neutral. its a more about micro spacing and interactions. movement tricks

for example. a situation you can create very easily and has so much impact during the match.

You can stand under a platform and full hop then double jump. then fast fall through back to where you started. many species will assume you will land on the platform and throw out a full hop airel to cover where you were going to land. suddenly they are above you and you are under the platform with frame advantage. that's how to create positional advantage. it may not look like a lot but its huge.

- they are in danger of getting arieled from below,
- if they retreat they are going much closer to the ledge.
- if they jump to top platform they are going way above you.(probably best option)
- if they choose to drop and attack, you can space around and grab or tilt. - if they stay in sheild. u can just run and take center stage.
- if they try to run off platform back to centre you can wall with SH bairs

this is one of many many situations you can easily create. this to me is exactly what sheik is as a character.

Top Bottom