• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Applying pressure with Meta Knight on Omega Stages/FD

superange

Smash Cadet
NNID
superange128
3DS FC
1032-2052-1009
I've been playing Meta Knight a bunch on For Glory

However, compared to my top 3 characters (according to my sig), I've having trouble finding ways to apply pressure and I lose more often than I win with Meta Knight

I read a bunch of topics on this forum and I've tried different things for applying pressure/appraoching (dash attack, dash throw, throwing off stages and gimping, etc.)

I'm aware Meta got nerfed since Brawl which is good, however, with his heavily shortened range, worse priority I'm having trouble apporaching/applying pressure besides using dash attacks and grab/throws

Things I feel like I should do more but just want to confirm:
-Side roll more, especially if the opponent is
-When facing against a camper.. side roll, shield, short hop nair/fair, and shield/grab a lot, try to punish them even if it's tough
-Try Shield > Grab more often, including mixing Dash Grabs
-Only save Down/Side Smash when you can punish/confident it can hit and/or get a kill
-Only use Tornado if they air dodge in a direction where you think you can catch, or after a throw combo
-Don't use tilts much, unless they roll towards you or something
-Outside Dash attacks and rolls, try to use aerials for pressure against certain opponents
-Use good throw combos (D throw to fair, nair or Up B, Side throw off edge into gimp)
-Try to throw/hit people off stage to use your good giming power (using Nair, Fair)
-Don't try to trade hits since Meta has crap range and priority.
-Use Down B sparingly to throw them off

Do I have the right idea? Any other tips you can offer?

Thanks.

Ruminator

Smash Rookie
NNID
quietrepentance
3DS FC
0989-2562-6960
I'll try to offer what I can, but I am an amateur.

I'm aware Meta got nerfed since Brawl which is good, however, with his heavily shortened range, worse priority I'm having trouble apporaching/applying pressure besides using dash attacks and grab/throws
The important distinction here is that applying pressure is really, really different from approaching. You have the right idea with approaching, your dash everything is pretty amazing... but sometimes you don't really have to be the one to approach. You can be winning and continue to have an advantage just by existing - let them take the risk. B-air, f-air, side special, dimensional cape and tornado are all fantastic at punishing poor approaches.

Short hop f/b-air are just pretty good in general. Look at the video I posted in the video thread to see what you can do with it.

-Side roll more, especially if the opponent is
Side rolls have recovery frames so I hate spamming them - it's an online tactic that's gonna get you smacked when you start competing for real. If they're roll happy, both drill and tornado will punish rolls really consistently.

-When facing against a camper.. side roll, shield, short hop nair/fair, and shield/grab a lot, try to punish them even if it's tough
I'm sorry, I just came from traditional 2D fighters (SFIV, KOF, etc). What is a "camper"? Is that a defensive player? Just play footsies if they're not running at you like their middle name is YOLO. You can contest neutral space with short hop f-airs and f-tilts.

-Try Shield > Grab more often, including mixing Dash Grabs
Your dash grab is great. Shield grab is good because people like to use things that are not safe.

-Only use Tornado if they air dodge in a direction where you think you can catch, or after a throw combo
I like tornado for when you absolutely know they're going to roll through you. It can work in combos too.

-Don't use tilts much, unless they roll towards you or something
Your tilts are fantastic! Especially d-tilt. If you confirm a trip with d-tilt you get a dash grab guaranteed.

-Try to throw/hit people off stage to use your good giming power (using Nair, Fair)
My off-stage game usually consists of d-air between a bunch of jumps. Pretty much all of his aerials are good, but that's the one I prefer.

-Don't try to trade hits since Meta has crap range and priority.
Trading is hard, usually you'll just get beat. You need to pick your offenses. MK is a lot more tactical now, he can't just run forward screaming.

-Use Down B sparingly to throw them off
Be extremely careful about using this move. If it doesn't hit, you are probably going to lose that stock immediately or otherwise give them a huge advantage. It is beyond unsafe.

Everything I didn't address seemed either okay or I didn't have anything to offer. If anything doesn't seem right just point it out and I'll try to offer my supporting reasoning.

Top Bottom