• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone up for sparring?

Chappy

Smash Cadet
I'm still fairly new to Smash and I've been mainly been playing Shulk and Link. I have been struggling and I would really appreciate it if anybody would be willing to spar with me and give me some constructive criticism. My friend code is 3050-8063-8530.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm still fairly new to Smash and I've been mainly been playing Shulk and Link. I have been struggling and I would really appreciate it if anybody would be willing to spar with me and give me some constructive criticism. My friend code is 3050-8063-8530.
I'll add ya and spar. My friend code is under my avatar on the left. Won't have time tonight, unfortunately, but during the week and on weekends there should be more time.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
I'll add you and make a room.
I've been playing since Melee and was lucky enough to buy the original on VC, so I've played all the Smash games.
I'm not good though, so don't expect my advice to make you win every match ever.
3668-8991-2947

Last edited:

MidnightLover

Smash Rookie
I don't want to make a new thread like this, so I hope OP isn't mad if I ask for the same, anyone up for a few rounds? I plan to main Falco and Shulk, but im not really sure about the latter because it always feels like a hassle to activate Shulks monado modes. And considering the Shulk section here it seems to be pretty important if you want to use him properly. Or at least it would be stupid to not use them. Well, after writing that I guess i better focus on Falco for now. So it would be nice if a experienced Falco player would play with me sometimes.

Last edited:

Chappy

Smash Cadet
Too be honest, the only thing your doing wrong with Shulk is using the Arts.
The Arts are a waste of time.
The MArts aren't a waste of time. They do help him. I would like it if the Shulk boards did put more emphasis on Vanilla Shulk though, since that is ultimately Shulk at his basics.

Last edited:

Chappy

Smash Cadet
Feel free to leave your Skype info as well and I'll add you guys on there.

Chappy

Smash Cadet
I'm on now if anybody is up for some sets. Just let me know your friend code and your Skype if you want to talk.

Windmaster012

Smash Journeyman
NNID
masterefra012
3DS FC
0473-8259-2427
I'm on now if anybody is up for some sets. Just let me know your friend code and your Skype if you want to talk.
I can spar with you, but I dont have a skype :/

My FC: 0473 8259 2427

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'd love to fight your Shulk.

My Skype is basedkirby. I'll give you my FC through Skype if you add me.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Ooh, we had some really nice matches.

Shulk: You have a pretty nice Shulk, probably one of the best I've seen. You were really good on spacing, and had lots of control over your character. However, you got very predictable after a while, allowing you to get punished. Also, while it may be character dependent, I was able to rack up damage using the Monado Arts a lot faster than you. I don't really think Shulk has as much true combos on Kirby as Kirby does on Shulk, though. You seemed to use the Monado Arts very well, knowing when to change, how to counter Kirby's weaknesses, how to get kills, etc. which is great. When I was at high percents, instead of going straight for "Smash" to try and K.O. me, you instead went for Jump and got me into the air for kills. You're a bit prone to SDing, although this was only the last match we had. Another problem is that you used a lot of Shulk's laggier moves, which allowed you to get punished.

Toon Link: Damn, I did NOT expect that. While the match-up is a bit hard for Kirby, as you're faster than him, have projectiles, and have better range, you still were really great. You had great control over your character, kept track of quite a bit of things (bomb placement, boomerang location, etc) which let you take control of the map. You kept your shield up for a bit too long, though, as I was able to punish you quite a bit from that. You also had a bit of trouble getting kills, letting me survive for quite some time. You seemed to survive for quite a while, too. If I am correct, one time, you survived until 200%.

Any critique on my Kirby?

Windmaster012

Smash Journeyman
NNID
masterefra012
3DS FC
0473-8259-2427
Ooh, we had some really nice matches.

Shulk: You have a pretty nice Shulk, probably one of the best I've seen. You were really good on spacing, and had lots of control over your character. However, you got very predictable after a while, allowing you to get punished. Also, while it may be character dependent, I was able to rack up damage using the Monado Arts a lot faster than you. I don't really think Shulk has as much true combos on Kirby as Kirby does on Shulk, though. You seemed to use the Monado Arts very well, knowing when to change, how to counter Kirby's weaknesses, how to get kills, etc. which is great. When I was at high percents, instead of going straight for "Smash" to try and K.O. me, you instead went for Jump and got me into the air for kills. You're a bit prone to SDing, although this was only the last match we had. Another problem is that you used a lot of Shulk's laggier moves, which allowed you to get punished.

Toon Link: Damn, I did NOT expect that. While the match-up is a bit hard for Kirby, as you're faster than him, have projectiles, and have better range, you still were really great. You had great control over your character, kept track of quite a bit of things (bomb placement, boomerang location, etc) which let you take control of the map. You kept your shield up for a bit too long, though, as I was able to punish you quite a bit from that. You also had a bit of trouble getting kills, letting me survive for quite some time. You seemed to survive for quite a while, too. If I am correct, one time, you survived until 200%.

Any critique on my Kirby?
Will you have a match with me?

Chappy

Smash Cadet
Nothing that I really have to say about your Kirby other than you're pretty good. I feel like I may be able to give you some good suggestions once I get a good understanding of Shulk and the Kirby MU. For now, I'll just tell you that you're good.

I will probably get better with my mix-ups as time passes. Especially after fighting windmaster today, I really began to focus more on changing my approach and trying to bait him out for a punish. I tried to use Jump because once you were in the air, it was difficult to jump up high enough to hit you. I couldn't really do anything with Smash. A lot of Shulk's moves are pretty laggy. I feel like the best way to get around this would just be to play mind games with my opponent and keep from getting predictable. Also (scrub question), what is SDing?

As for Toon Link, I definitely feel like he is my best character right now, although I do want to main Shulk. I knew coming into Smash that I would probably have the easiest time picking up one of the Links, and I chose T. Link for his speed. From what advice you gave it also seems like I need to work on being safer and less predictable with my T. Link as well.

Thanks for the advice, GGs!

Top Bottom