• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone have any advice for a New Samus Main?

Litt

Samus
Go watch one of the video guides for samus on youtube, melee or PM, it will teach you all you need to know to be the very best... like no one ever was

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
You can gain a lot from watching good melee Samuses such as Hugs, Darrell, Plup, and Duck. Get comfortable with wavedashing out-of-shield and learn your missile cancels.

Litt

Samus
You can gain a lot from watching good melee Samuses such as Hugs, Darrell, Plup, and Duck. Get comfortable with wavedashing out-of-shield and learn your missile cancels.
Thanks for repeating exactly what I said, also WD OoS isnt really an option in PM yet, because you cant hold shield with L and then wavedash with R, and the missile cancels are pretty jank in PM unless we are talking about Yoshis, Pkmon 1 ND 2, or battlefield. Anyway, yes my comment prob came off as probably a little dickish, but dude you just repeated exactly what I said and threw in a few big names with techs that he could have found in any samus guide video.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Thanks for repeating exactly what I said, also WD OoS isnt really an option in PM yet, because you cant hold shield with L and then wavedash with R, and the missile cancels are pretty jank in PM unless we are talking about Yoshis, Pkmon 1 ND 2, or battlefield. Anyway, yes my comment prob came off as probably a little ****ish, but dude you just repeated exactly what I said and threw in a few big names with techs that he could have found in any samus guide video.
WD OoS is still viable man. You can't use the trigger trick for it to be super precise but it's still good for spacing and positioning.

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for repeating exactly what I said, also WD OoS isnt really an option in PM yet, because you cant hold shield with L and then wavedash with R, and the missile cancels are pretty jank in PM unless we are talking about Yoshis, Pkmon 1 ND 2, or battlefield. Anyway, yes my comment prob came off as probably a little ****ish, but dude you just repeated exactly what I said and threw in a few big names with techs that he could have found in any samus guide video.
I can WD OoS fine, although I use L for everything. And all you did was vaguely mention guides in your post, which I'm taking to mean the tutorial posted here and Aftermath's/Phanna's vids? I wasn't sure if he was familiar with melee Samus, so I just gave him some names to look up. And I just wanted to emphasize the importance of those techs (and yes I was mostly referring to your standard platform MCs). Chill out man.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
I can WD OoS fine, although I use L for everything. And all you did was vaguely mention guides in your post, which I'm taking to mean the tutorial posted here and Aftermath's/Phanna's vids? I wasn't sure if he was familiar with melee Samus, so I just gave him some names to look up. And I just wanted to emphasize the importance of those techs (and yes I was mostly referring to your standard platform MCs). Chill out man.
Phanna's vids were more just cool combos with a ton of swd lol, as for the names of top melee samus players i guess i just took it as common knowledge because you can just type samus in youtube and most of their names come up in top results or view counts, so my bad about that one. For the most part, missile spams are rather ineffective against characters with reflectors because it takes longer to spam missiles in Pm than it did in melee, and the zair helps to zone out characters more so than missiles can, at least in my experience so far, and I do apologize, a number of newer players on this Pm board take it upon themselves to flame me whenever I tell anyone they are wrong, or I disagree with someone, and I just got off this post regarding a really asinine debate in another thread before commenting, so really dude, my bad about losing my cool and it wont happen again.

Last edited:

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
I think the majority of new samus players can't really grasp her floatyness. You either kinda have to embrace it or work completely against it. How you interpret that is really up to you; I personally think samus can be played on the faster side but being a floaty safe spacing robot girl can work just as well.

DanlulZ

Smash Cadet
You should mix up your style constantly by charging shot/ missle cancels for a bit then go full melee wd+dsmash is still your friend like in melee just try to use all her moves be unpredictable in your recovery. For example after you do 2 teather recoverys in a row the other play will expect it so try comin on with a fair mix up

Outthere

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3325-3164-3360
Some things that helped me when I was new(er) at Samus:

Short hop -> missile right before ground -> dash and grab -> Dthrow -> U smash -> Uair, Bair, Fair
This is the bread and butter of Samus. Works well, until people realize they can jump instead of shielding the missiles. In this case you can go for other options, like Uair or Nair.
If they don't shield then go for a dash attack or wavedash -> smash, or SH Nair, or any number of things. Basically if you must approach with Samus this is one of the safer options.

On the ground, practice wavedashing back and forth. Control space by varying the length of the wavedashes, and throw out Ftilts or Utilts at the end of the wavedash. Also get comfortable with shielddashing. The best pure zoning option Samus has is the Zair. Use it like this Jump -> airdodge(you can go forward, forward and down, in place, etc. Mix it up) -> Zair. This is extremely useful, as it has massive range, and can be used to deal with projectile spam. Basically, if the other player is spamming, say, Link's boomerang, Zair it. About grabs: Down throw is the best. You can follow up with Usmash, Nair, dash attack, etc. Also, though you can shieldgrab certain moves, Samus's dash grab is much better and has much less lag, so use that.

Recovering: If you get hit, survival DI as best you can. Then, start spamming down B and float towards the stage. Generally speaking, airdodge -> Zair is the best option for getting to the ledge, because you can mixup with the airdodge and such. Up B is mostly useful if you get turned around. But, you can also missile or Reverse neutral B cancel to face the stage again. On the ledge, you have several options: If they're too close to the ledge, go for a Fair or Nair(you can L cancel Fair to Up B). You can missile back on the stage if the other player is too far away, or simply wavedash on. You can also airdodge -> Zair for mixups, or jump -> bomb, and stuff like that.

Ledgeguarding: You can drop a bomb right on the ledge for people who recover straight up(Marth). You can hop of the stage and Nair, which is dangerous, but effective. Bair is good at killing, especially when you can hit it from a ledge drop. When they've already made it to the ledge, be patient and make sure you keep them off the stage. Use your Fsmash and Ftilt and try and predict where they go, or Uair/Usmash if they jump.

When training: SWD's are fun, but not practical. Learn it if you want, but focus on movement, wavedashing -> tilts, and shielddashing. Focus on taking as minimal damage as possible, and staying alive. Missile -> grab combos work extremely well on CPUs and inexperience players, but against better, faster players they aren't *as* helpful.

General things to keep in mind: PLAY PATIENT. Samus should not die easily. Play safe, play smart. Stay on the ground as much as possible. Learn to DI correctly and your Samus will be living for a long time. Ftilt is your friend, as is the missile. Always use fire instead of ice when you're starting out, and when you are comfortable with fire learn the uses of ice(Usmash kills and Fair edgeguarding). When playing characters that kill of the top easily (Pit, Fox, etc) be EXTREMELY careful not to get hit. Pit's Up b kills so damn well and he can juggle the life out of Samus with Uairs as well.

Litt

Samus
You should mix up your style constantly by charging shot/ missle cancels for a bit then go full melee wd+dsmash is still your friend like in melee just try to use all her moves be unpredictable in your recovery. For example after you do 2 teather recoverys in a row the other play will expect it so try comin on with a fair mix up
^ Don't know where to start with this one so I guess ill start from the beginning...
Constantly mix up your style... Agree with ya here, but basically you don't want to be predictable with any character because it lets your opponent read what you are going to do and punish you hard. However with "charging shot" which I think you mean charge shot, you shouldn't rely on that as the main part of your game, because it takes a while to charge up, and its dangerous especially against characters with reflects along with how easy it is to powershield in PM. Along with missile cancels, which are only viable on a few stages because the stages you need to double jump missile cancel, it takes too long and the missiles are too far apart to be an effective barrage of missiles. Then you go into wd+dsmash... while yes that is effective, what I think you meant to say is crouch cancel dsmash... and its hard to be unpredictable with your recovery when you tether because you can only insta grab the ledge and not the side of the stage like you could in melee. For example after you do 2 tether*** (no a in tether), recoveries, (why would you want to waste 2/3 tethers, if you are going against just a semi decent player you want to conserve them all because samus can and will get gimped in this game.... Coming on with a fair is literally the oldest samus trick in the book and EVERYONE knows its coming, if you want to be unpredictable dj off the ledge into a zair on stage, do an aerial interrupt to save ledge invincibility into a ftilt, fsmash, or dsmash, or just air dodge past the ledge guarder that is on stage. No offense DanlulZ, but you really need some more experience before you start giving advice, and when you do elaborate as to the reasoning behind your advice otherwise it will not always be understood why it is a better option.

Top Bottom