• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anybody use the "Watch" function yet?

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
I've always guessed from these boards and due to Fire Emblem popularity that Ike would be a common pick for players in the WiFi matches. I ALSO guessed that because of the fact that there would be so many of them, that the number of good Ike players would be high...

I was wrong.

I'm not sure exactly why or how it's come to be like this, but out of the hundreds of "WATCH" matches I've just observed with my friends while we did something else, it's as if all the Ike players currently on WiFi are playing Brawl for the first time, or if it's just lag completely destroying their gameplay... Though it's completely understandable since Brawl's still a relatively new game, I'm pretty sure I don't remember a single player whom I thought did relatively well at all.

Of course, then again, aside from all the suicide-idiots, griefers and actual newcomers playing on WiFi mode, that there are probably plenty of 10 year-olds =/.

I can't wait for Brawl to come out in the US so I could get a hand at playing WiFi matches myself; even if most of them will turn out to be like the halo-tards (I'm praying not, but it's inevitable), the prospect of having human opponents available when my friends aren't around is gold.

Kiederen

Smash Cadet
How exactly are you "watching" matches. On youtube or other internet video sites? At first I thought you were referring to Brawl's spectator mode, but it sounds as if you don't have the game yet otherwise you'd be playing rather than watching. In my opinion, that's what I think will tend to happen: most people would rather play than watch, so I don't think spectator mode will get a lot of use.

Now then, that said, what do you mean by the "watch function?"

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
How exactly are you "watching" matches. On youtube or other internet video sites? At first I thought you were referring to Brawl's spectator mode, but it sounds as if you don't have the game yet otherwise you'd be playing rather than watching. In my opinion, that's what I think will tend to happen: most people would rather play than watch, so I don't think spectator mode will get a lot of use.

Now then, that said, what do you mean by the "watch function?"
Here's an outrageously silly thought: Brawl hasn't come out in the US yet, and there are times when me and my friends get sick and bored of playing it. During these times, we usually go for some drinks or return to melee for a while, and there are plenty of times when we just use the "Watch" function (Or spectator mode as you'd call it- the announcer shouts "WATCH!" so we call it that) to observe other matches.

Though we can't WiFi connect to play games against other people, the Watch/Spectator function strangely seems to work... and proceeds to burn our eyes out.

So yes, I do in fact play the game often (It's probably the only game I play at the moment), it's just that most of the time we need to take a break from playing it so long.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
I like the coins part too... except for the fact that in some of the matches, we bet 100 coins on an Ike in an Ike vs. Bowser match where they decided somehow that they'd have a suiciding contest.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
We bet 9999 coins on several matches already, playing Coin Launcher takes so long. XDD

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Mhm, with as much as we play, we get coins hella fast, and playing Coin Launcher with a full 9999 set takes several hours. =)

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
We bet 9999 coins on several matches already, playing Coin Launcher takes so long. XDD
9999 Coins? I'm not sure if I haven't figured out how to bet more for the Watch games, but isn't 100 the max? After putting 100 coins down for betting it scrolls back to 0 then starts over again from 1. How do you bet more coins?

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
100 is definitely the maxt
in case you guys don't know, spectator mode isn't people playing at the moment
you are actually watching replays of past wifi matches
and i'm pretty sure upwards of 90% of people who play the game don't give a crap what you think, nor do they seriously play to win

if you want to choose what matches to watch, go youtube
otherwise accept that you're going to watch matches of people that like smashing.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
100 is definitely the match
in case you guys don't know, spectator mode isn't people playing at the moment
you are actually watching replays of past wifi matches
and i'm pretty sure upwards of 90% of people who play the game don't give a crap what you think, nor do they seriously play to win

if you want to choose what matches to watch, go youtube
otherwise accept that you're going to watch matches of people that like smashing.
Who said I cared what the "upwards of 90% of people who play the game don't give a crap what you think, nor do they seriously play to win"? I simply said that compared to the discussions on this board and even with the hundreds upon hundreds of Ike users out there, that none of them seem to know how to use him well in retrospect to all that.

Read carefully before shooting your mouth off, I guess? It's just a suggestion.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I'm not 100% sure on how the watching works but assuming you can only watch just random matches, you wouldn't get to see how people were playing WiFi that go to these boards. (aka the good players)

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
there are only about 4 people that participate in discussions on this board AND actually have the game
most people in japan don't care about smashboards, only the ones that want to compete internationally even bother

so when watching replays, please consider the people you are watching
just a suggestion

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
there are only about 4 people that participate in discussions on this board AND actually have the game
most people in japan don't care about smashboards, only the ones that want to compete internationally even bother

so when watching replays, please consider the people you are watching
just a suggestion
I do consider the people playing, and you forget that there are plenty of people in Japan among the 1.2 million who've bought the game by now who play Brawl to get better, excluding those that play simply to pass the time.

Smashboards isn't the only website out there that has players attempting to better their metagames, so I think you're forgetting to mention the fact that compared to a community of prospective pros for Brawl, Japan is already full of people that are on their way up that ladder.

Why the games we've seen in WiFi seem completely ridiculous I'm not quite sure, but here's another suggestion for you: Don't try and sound knowledgeable about something you don't have a firm understanding of.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I didn't mean 9999 on ONE match, I said on matches; meaning we used several sets of 9999.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
I've always guessed from these boards...
oh.

matches on wifi are just about the equivalent of walking into someone's room you hear brawl music coming out of and watching the match
what are the chances you'll find a good player?
i don't see what's hard to understand about this

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman

Oh. At least I can attest to having seen at least one Ike player for every (or every other) match on 'Watch'- that's what I'm basing my observations on, if you haven't noticed. Please explain your reasoning for the above.

I didn't know that if you walked into somebody's room or watched a WiFi match that the chance of the player being decent and doesn't suicide for fun or griefing was supposed to be minimal. As much as you're entitled to your own opinion, it's generally advisable not to go around touting them as if they're set in stone: it just makes you look that much more stupid when the actual statistics comes out.

Edit:

Zar- Oh, I see. We don't bet often on 'Watch', since it's usually more fun tilting back some drinks while letting the game auto-wait and play the next match without us having to interfere by pressing any buttons.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
kirk and zaladriel are the only two on this board who have the game AND want to talk about it
everyone else just wants to talk about it

you can go around calling everything i say an opinion, but you don't have any objective backing for your posts either
for all you know, all the WATCH matches ive seen have been between pros playing the metagame from 2010
so please base your "facts" and "statistics" on real facts or statistics

the only real figure i've seen from you is the population of japan, which i'll assume is correct
the rest is just you wondering why you haven't seen any good players and acting like you're some kind of qualified gameplay critic

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
kirk and zaladriel are the only two on this board who have the game AND want to talk about it
everyone else just wants to talk about it

you can go around calling everything i say an opinion, but you don't have any objective backing for your posts either
for all you know, all the WATCH matches ive seen have been between pros playing the metagame from 2010
so please base your "facts" and "statistics" on real facts or statistics

the only real figure i've seen from you is the population of japan, which i'll assume is correct
the rest is just you wondering why you haven't seen any good players and acting like you're some kind of qualified gameplay critic
Actually, unless some of the people in the forums are lying, there are far more than just them as an example of those that have the game and want to discuss it, myself is another example of that.

I suppose you still haven't learned about reading carefully, since aside from the number of sells in Japan, the statement about the large number of players actually PLAYING the game compared to the very few in the states that play (and among this board the many that discuss it) is indeed a true fact. Never have I said that my opinion is fact and tried to push it upon you, which I can't say the same for your belligerent/passive-aggressive posts from the start... and of course, on the other hand, you have yet to come up with a single base or source for any of your proclamations: perhaps you should run a poll and see for yourself just how many people in this forum own brawl before saying that around 4 do?

If you're saying on the other hand that you'd like to see this 'Watch' function for yourself, I can't say I'm willing to help you there- sorry, you'll just have to wait for it to see for yourself. Who knows? Perhaps you'll have different luck than I do and actually see matches that are flawless and filled with advanced players... but judging from the dozens of matches we've watched, I'd be willing to be that as a no.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
you're new and bring the count to three
besides you, kirk, and zaladriel, no one here both discusses ike and can play wifi
elliot has wifi but he doesn't actively discuss ike's play

i don't even know what point you're trying to make with that last post, but

the rest is just you wondering why you haven't seen any good players and acting like you're some kind of qualified gameplay critic, running around trying to make yourself out to be too good for the people that you catch in spectator mode

btw if you've ever seen or participated in skilled play in the states, you'd know that most of them play in person

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
you're new and bring the count to three
besides you, kirk, and zaladriel, no one here both discusses ike and can play wifi
elliot has wifi but he doesn't actively discuss ike's play

i don't even know what point you're trying to make with that last post, but

the rest is just you wondering why you haven't seen any good players and acting like you're some kind of qualified gameplay critic, running around trying to make yourself out to be too good for the people that you catch in spectator mode

btw if you've ever seen or participated in skilled play in the states, you'd know that most of them play in person
Maybe you should make the poll and actually find out for yourself instead of continuing to dote on that guess?

Acting like "some kind of qualified gameplay critic"? Tell me a few things about that particular comment. What exactly gives you the idea that gameplay critics need some special "qualification" in order to be taken seriously? Considering the fact that sites like IGN and Gamespot with the treasured "pro critics" still love to instill their opinions in their reviews and critiques, one can hardly say simply putting an opinion in a forum is a mockery of that. I don't know what got it into your head that I was bragging, but I certainly wasn't; I said pretty clearly that it wasn't something I'd expected, not that I could take every one of them blindfolded and with my ears plugged. Just as in half your other responses, tell me where you're getting these creative ideas of yours?

And on another note, just because a player is good doesn't necessarily mean that they must "play in person"; just like you were saying that I couldn't tell if you were watching only pros, you can't say that you know for certain whether or not if someone is getting mileage out of his WiFi functions.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
1. qualfied in regard to how good play should be made in brawl
2. good players don't have to play in person, but they usually do. i don't have to live in their houses to know this(though i just might)

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
1. qualfied in regard to how good play should be made in brawl
2. good players don't have to play in person, but they usually do. i don't have to live in their houses to know this(though i just might)
Being that I've been playing Brawl since it's initial release and have been participating in discussions with this board about the developing metagame (and doing my own testing and playing with some equally dedicated friends), I can indeed say that I'm qualified, or at least more than a person who hasn't touched the game is at the moment, to make such observations.

You can't tell if good players play in person or not, since predecessors such as Melee didn't really offer any WiFi option (therefore players would have to play face to face no matter what). Because there's no ranking system or anything else that distinguishes pro-play from casual play on the WiFi feature, you really have no basis of saying that pros in brawl will decide to "usually" play in person over WiFi.

Top Bottom