• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anybody here a fan of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I think it's one of the better Japanese cartoons out there, despite appearing as weeb-trash.

If anybody else here is a fan of Haruhi, that would be great, although I'm not expecting that.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
no but i do like lucky star,that is relavant because the main character konata is voiced by haruhi's actor.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
no but i do like lucky star,that is relavant because the main character konata is voiced by haruhi's actor.
I suppose in some contrived way it's relevant.

I think it's one of the better Japanese cartoons out there, despite appearing as weeb-trash.

If anybody else here is a fan of Haruhi, that would be great, although I'm not expecting that.
Why wouldn't you expect Haruhi fans here? My unofficial sources tell me that Smashboards is 50% weeb, and weebs love Haruhi.

I'm still patiently waiting for the anime to come back and continue the rest of the story, while ignoring the spin-off The Disappearance of Yuki-chan because I hear it's no where near as good.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2

Why wouldn't you expect Haruhi fans here? My unofficial sources tell me that Smashboards is 50% weeb, and weebs love Haruhi.

I'm still patiently waiting for the anime to come back and continue the rest of the story, while ignoring the spin-off The Disappearance of Yuki-chan because I hear it's no where near as good.
While I haven't finished the Disappearance of Yuki Nagato, I hear it has an arc towards the end that's worth the slice-of-life theme, but I can't say anything for myself.

And just because I like Haruhi and Japanese cartoons does NOT make me a weeb

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
While I haven't finished the Disappearance of Yuki Nagato, I hear it has an arc towards the end that's worth the slice-of-life theme, but I can't say anything for myself.

And just because I like Haruhi and Japanese cartoons does NOT make me a weeb
No you're right, it makes you a Super Weeb that's ascended beyond the level of Super Weeb, or you can call it Super Weeb 2.

Hmm... I guess I'll check it out then. Although when I'll check it out is the new question, not that I actually follow my backlog, but I still gotta finish KanColle, Katanagatari, Bakemonogatari, Nichijou and a bunch more. I'll probably just squeeze it in somewhere.

Ignoring the Endless 8 (cause WTF was that?), I would actually have to put Haruhi up there as one of the better anime, especially when you add in The Disappearance of Hurihi Suzumiya. Most anime movie adaptations lead to not adding anything significant to the full story, or when it does, you get FMA's Conquerer of Shamballa. Which wasn't bad mind you, just not as satisfying as it could've been. Disappearance was just amazing though.

bound_for_earth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theflaminglefty
lucky star has so may references or flat out images of haruhi in it.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
I used to be a Haruhi Suzumiya fan... Then I took an Endless Eight to the knee.

But no for real, Endless Eight was a mistake I can't ignore. Ruined the whole series for me. Kyoto Animation has done some amazing stuff, namely Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shltai and Hyouka, which I would watch over Haruhi any day.

Last edited:

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Haruhi is one of my favorite anime out there. (Except for the endless eight, but we can all agree it was bad.) It's one of the first ones I recommend to people if they ask me for stuff to watch. (Even if they've already watched it.) The first season is also brilliant with how it's out-of-order. Watching them in chronological order doesn't even drop the appeal of it for me though.

D

Deleted member

I used to be a Haruhi Suzumiya fan... Then I took an Endless Eight to the knee.

But no for real, Endless Eight was a mistake I can't ignore. Ruined the whole series for me. Kyoto Animation has done some amazing stuff, namely Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shltai and Hyouka, which I would watch over Haruhi any day.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Loved Haruhi until the Endless Eight reared its ugly head.
I still liked the first season though and I was obsessed with it when I was 18 or so. I heard the movie was pretty good too.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Took the words right out of my mouth. Loved Haruhi until the Endless Eight reared its ugly head.
I still liked the first season though and I was obsessed with it when I was 18 or so. I heard the movie was pretty good too.
You know, if you dislike the Endless Eight, you don't have to watch all of it. I recommend skipping all of the Endless Eight besides the first and last episode of it, because the movie is work watching.

D

Deleted member

You know, if you dislike the Endless Eight, you don't have to watch all of it. I recommend skipping all of the Endless Eight besides the first and last episode of it, because the movie is work watching.
I already watched, too late. xD

But yeah I might watch the movie someday.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
I already watched, too late. xD

But yeah I might watch the movie someday.
Same here. I tend not to read reviews in case of bias or spoilers. Thus I was unprepared. Either way, the rest of the series could be 10/10 (which I don't think it is. Maybe 8/10), but I would still not consider it on overwhelmingly good series. Yes it had good parts, but "The Mistake" is too large to ignore. When rating or reviewing something, by definition I can not ignore one section and just "not watch it". Even for enjoyment, If I'm watching a series and I'm forced to skip a section because its utter garbage, it will spoil my mood and excitement for that series

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Same here. I tend not to read reviews in case of bias or spoilers. Thus I was unprepared. Either way, the rest of the series could be 10/10 (which I don't think it is. Maybe 8/10), but I would still not consider it on overwhelmingly good series. Yes it had good parts, but "The Mistake" is too large to ignore. When rating or reviewing something, by definition I can not ignore one section and just "not watch it". Even for enjoyment, If I'm watching a series and I'm forced to skip a section because its utter garbage, it will spoil my mood and excitement for that series
I wouldn't call the Endless Eight "utter garbage", because some might argue that it shows character development in Yuki Nagato.

But I'm pretty uneducated in this subject, so I can't really say anything.

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
I actually liked the E8, or at least the idea. It's supposed to put you in the shoes of Yuki, who has to live all of it. It's supposed to stress you out and draw on and on and on and on and on. I liked the idea...

But I did skip after the third episode

Top Bottom