• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any way to play Smash online with a Closed NAT type?

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
I love smash, obviously.

I ended up moving to a University dorm room a few months ago, I brought my Wii U and games with me.

I can't play Smash Bros or anything else online with my Wii U and as far as I can tell its because the school's wifi has a closed NAT type. The Error Code is 118-0516. This is not a general internet problem, I use the wifi every day, I'm using it to post now. When my laptop was broken I even exclusively used my Wii U as my internet browsing machine for a few days since I do not own a smart phone, it worked fine.

I have already spoken to IT, they are both unwilling and unable to change the NAT type.

Do any workarounds exist? Yes, I have already googled the **** out of this. I thought the pain would go away but it's been two months and I still wish to play smash almost every day.

Please, its bad enough that I don't have a single friend to play the game with locally. I hope someone is able to help me.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
I love smash, obviously.

I ended up moving to a University dorm room a few months ago, I brought my Wii U and games with me.

I can't play Smash Bros or anything else online with my Wii U and as far as I can tell its because the school's wifi has a closed NAT type. The Error Code is 118-0516. This is not a general internet problem, I use the wifi every day, I'm using it to post now. When my laptop was broken I even exclusively used my Wii U as my internet browsing machine for a few days since I do not own a smart phone, it worked fine.

I have already spoken to IT, they are both unwilling and unable to change the NAT type.

Do any workarounds exist? Yes, I have already googled the **** out of this. I thought the pain would go away but it's been two months and I still wish to play smash almost every day.

Please, its bad enough that I don't have a single friend to play the game with locally. I hope someone is able to help me.
Do you know someone who has access to the router page settings? have you asked them to put your console's IP to port forward? you're in a very annoying situation and there's not much else you can do, other than to tell them to allow your Wii U's IP/connection through the firewall via portforwarding

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
Sadly, I have already tried that and it does not work. I am not sure why honestly, I don't know anything about internet stuff.

On the positive side I found a game shop about 10 minutes away from where I live that occasionally holds smash tournaments. While I won't be able to play against other humans more often then once a month or so unless I make some good friends there, I do now at least have some way to play with people.

Also I see you're from New York, I'm in Hyde Park going to Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie. Do you happen to be in my area?

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Sadly, I have already tried that and it does not work. I am not sure why honestly, I don't know anything about internet stuff.

On the positive side I found a game shop about 10 minutes away from where I live that occasionally holds smash tournaments. While I won't be able to play against other humans more often then once a month or so unless I make some good friends there, I do now at least have some way to play with people.

Also I see you're from New York, I'm in Hyde Park going to Dragon's Den in Poughkeepsie. Do you happen to be in my area?
Well.. I do have one more thing you could try, if your school allows it, you could try saving up on money and get yourself your own internet, with a provider such verizon fios, optimum online, or even something cheaper just so you can play smash. that way you don't have to deal with NAT types being strict, since you'll be in charge of your own internet. And if it's possible, you could go with ethernet connection, if the router is near a tv.

I live in Yonkers New York, near White Plains, I checked and you're 1 hour away from me :p maybe if I'm around there we could play smash

Top Bottom