• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Tips to Improve my Lucina Game?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Welcome to the site, for starters. Your best bet would be searching/posting here:

http://smashboards.com/forums/lucina.492/

I've moved the thread to this section for the time being, but as there are already multiple other topics covering a variety of subjects, I feel you would be best off searching around for anything in particular you need help with (this thread in particular seems like it'd be a good start).

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Hey dude. As much as I'd love to help your game, we kinda need a starting point or some indication of where you are so we can point you in the right direction. Though I believe this thread ought to help you out for starters:

http://smashboards.com/threads/marths-competitive-resource-thread.382874/

It says Marth's competitive resource thread, but a lot of Lucina's fundamentals are the same as Marth's. I'd recommend either Emblem Lord's strategy notes or my guide as a starting point for yourself, then when you can identify some areas you need help with, feel free to ask on either or sections.

Lastly, welcome to SmashBoards ^^ hope you enjoy your stay

ShadowGrey

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShadowGrey
3DS FC
3840-7817-5459
As I main Lucina, I personally feel that my air game needs a step up. I just can't get the spacing of the jumps just right. I personally feel that getting the air strikes correct is a huge step into fully unlocking her potential, (as she's moderately lighter than half of the other characters) especially with the meteor down strike.

With the new patch, Shulk is decently faster and is one of the hardest rivals I now face with Lucina (followed by Little Mac with his ridiculous one hit K.O. if you're over 50 damage or so). Something I like to do when I feel I'm getting sloppy is Cruel/Rival Smash. Granted, the "computer" isn't as creative as actual people, but it still makes for a decent challenge. Some angry hours in Cruel smash helped me "master" counter whereas you start to see and anticipate moves a little better, group enemies together, and and avoid attacks from afar like the gunner mii.

Since you weren't too specific, I don't know if it's what you were looking for, but I hope it helps.

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
Like others have said, we will need somewhere to start on how you play Lucina to help you improve. But basic advice that I can give you for any character in general is to go to training mode and practice hitting the sand bag, and ask what you want from the character. Practice the spacing of their moves and look at the lag of each individual attack and what would work best in each situation.

Lucina is a character that plays in what I have heard refer to "aggressive passive" as opposed to "passive aggressive" where you want to bait out openings to string together some attacks and then once they are done, you want to reset to neutral and go back to baiting out the opponent to make a mistake and give you an opening. In my opinion, Fairs and tilts are probably going to be your biggest ally in this, and utilizing different timings on dancing blade is a really good way to catch your opponent off guard and rack up some damage. Down throw is also a really good way to string together attacks at lower percentages. Up B out of shield is also a great tool that a lot of people don't expect. It is almost instant, and as long as you get the spacing down, you aren't going to be punished for it most of the time because it has a decent launch distance. Last but not least, try to fake them out with a shield breaker every once and awhile. If you condition them to shield your attacks, they are either going to end up getting their shield broken which is a near guaranteed kill above around 60% depending on your stage position, or take heavy damage from it because they drop their shield or don't dodge in time.

From there on out, it is all about getting either a good read with a smash attack/countering a strong hit, or utilizing her range in the air to gimp the opponent if you can get them of stage. Keep in mind, that while she does have a spike, unless you can get a really good read on where they are going to be, then an FAir or BAir is probably going to be more beneficial to you off stage than her DAir is because it is one of the harder spikes to land in the game, and if you miss the sweet spot at the bottom of her feet, they aren't going to be going as far away from the ledge as they would have if you hadn't tried to be flashy. The DAir also has a considerable amount of lag on it, so using it off stage can be incredibly dangerous as well.

That is really Lucina in a nut shell. There are good guides on the site that go into more detail, I think Eternal linked you his, so if you have time you should go ahead and read that, as well as watch some of the videos in the Lucina video compendium.

Last edited:
Top Bottom