• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips on my marth?

scal4prez

Smash Rookie
Just wondering if you guys would be able to point something out that I am doing wrong.(I am the red marth) Thanks, appreciate it.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
@0:08- avoid approaching with aerials like that. Rule of thumb that i go by with marth is to strive to stay on the ground in neutral until i get a grab or i catch them into a combo setup. I saw a lot of spots where you were aggressivly trying to pull something out of a fair approach, which worked sometimes against him. Against someone who sees that and actually shield grabs you'll run into a lot of issues. If you were gonna fair or nair in neutral i'd suggest them probably being more defensive retreating fairs or crossover nairs.

@1:20- there was a spot where you went for the bair reverse into what looked like an attempt at a dair? I think instead of jumping offstage with a bair to reverse direction you just as easily could have edgeguarded with a jab or dtilt to keep him off stage, maybe even have just wavedashed to get yourself really close to the edge quick and SH dair to get the back end of the hitbox.

as an example for this...if you got the jab on his phantasm he would have dropped. depending on how low he got you could either drop low and rising fair swat him away to his death or even drop low and reverse upB kill him. Boom, there's a stock. If you dtilted and sent him and a lower angle you could've wavedashed quick to ledge and rising Dair back onstage for the spike kill

@2:15- If you do a side-b and dont finish it/fail it, try to pick that out and not do it consecutively in a row.

I guess overall i think you've got the hands for stuff like wavedashing/lcanceling/etc. Try to pull out that upthrow chain grab for an extra regrab or two, saw you upthrow only once every time and go for the uptilt and either wiff or not pull him back up because of the lack of percent to followu. You could probably work on running toward the ledge>turnaround wavedash to ledge>fastfall>grab ledge for edgeguarding and getting the ledge faster than the bair reverse stuff. Could also probably work on general stuff like spacing with fairs/Fsmashes/dtilts as well as spacing with dash dancing. saw you dash dancing in some spots really close to him and he didnt really punish your spacing. Against a better fox i think you'd probably notice more of the flaws i mentioned as you'd get punished a lot more cleanly and more often from mistakes.

Overall keep up the practice! All this stuff gets better over time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom