• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips on getting out of Dair more quickly?

ZLink

Smash Rookie
Title says it all. Any useful tips or tech to get out of a dair more quickly?

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Are you referring to dair or fair? It says dair in the thread title but fair in your message. Anyways, L cancels generally get the job done. You can L cancel by hitting L or R right before you hit the ground after hitting an aerial. The timing is a bit bizarre at first, but once you get in the lab an practice it becomes second nature. If that's not a fast enough killing move for you, try out edge canceling. You can also edge cancel your dair on the edge of a platform, I'm not sure if you can also do this with fair, but I'd assume so.

ZLink

Smash Rookie
I meant dair (I guess it auto corrected) in the post. Off-stage dair's seem extremely slow to get out of, and I was wondering if there were any tricks to get out of it sooner? I'll try ledge canceling though, not sure why I didn't think of that.

Third

Smash Rookie
If you dair off stage, then there's no real way of getting out of it earlier other than having a bomb explode on you while you're doing the dair. On stage, you can L-cancel, ledge cancel, or just have something hit you out of it.

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Basically you can't get out of an offstage dair, other than stabbing your opponent in the face. If you're worried about your aim I'd suggest going for a nair instead, it's really the only move (along with bair) Link can use offstage without buying a wedding ring to commit to it. Another option for offstage shenanigans are arrows and bomb drops. Arrows can snipe their double jumps. Bombs drops can lead to a much easier setup for your YOLO offstage dair.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Basically you can't get out of an offstage dair, other than stabbing your opponent in the face. If you're worried about your aim I'd suggest going for a nair instead, it's really the only move (along with bair) Link can use offstage without buying a wedding ring to commit to it. Another option for offstage shenanigans are arrows and bomb drops. Arrows can snipe their double jumps. Bombs drops can lead to a much easier setup for your YOLO offstage dair.
I love how you phrased that lol. But yeah, you make a good point. And you would want to at least be a stock ahead if you want to do something as crazy as throwing out a dair offstage. Or it could be a hype end to a four-stock on your opponent.

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
I love how you phrased that lol. But yeah, you make a good point. And you would want to at least be a stock ahead if you want to do something as crazy as throwing out a dair offstage. Or it could be a hype end to a four-stock on your opponent.
Haha thanks man. Definitely some good points here. I can't think of too many instances where it's safe to do except on a Sonic recovering from below

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Haha thanks man. Definitely some good points here. I can't think of too many instances where it's safe to do except on a Sonic recovering from below
No prob. And well, you can do it on lots of other characters other than Sonic (Captain Falcon, Marth, Ganondorf, and D3 just to name a few), so long as you can risk a trade woth some of them. Oh, and welcome to Smashboards. :p

D

Deleted member

The only way you're going to survive a off-stage dair is if you started the dair from a full jump on a high platform or know for sure you're going to hit them with the dair on the way down to get some upwards velocity to make the jump back. Also do not fast fall, you will die for sure.

Bair and nair are much better off-stage edge-guarding options. A better use of dair is as an edge-guard if they're recovering and miss the sweetspot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom