• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Tips For Snake?

BRITENESS

Smash Rookie
NNID
TBUBrony
3DS FC
3797-5874-8219
I used to play project m quite a bit a year or two ago, but never got good at it. Since I played last, I got really accustomed to how well smash 4 controls, and project m just feels quite clunky now. I'm taking a quick break from smash 4 in order to learn some stuff about project m and melee. Out of all the characters in project m, snake feels the most solid to me, in terms of movement and moveset.

What I struggle with is setting up combos, using the explosives efficiently, and recovering. I'm pretty new to this, so if you could help me get started learning snake, it would be much appreciated.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I'll start out by asking you a question: How do you know that you struggle with all the things you say you struggle with? Do you enter tournaments, or are you comparing yourself to Snakes you watch on Youtube? Do you compare your success in PM to your success in Smash 4? Having a healthy frame of mind is very important for this game, and if you're setting unreasonable goals for yourself you're gonna end up frustrated eventually. If that's all well and good and you really are just aware of your inexperience and want to work through it: Read the posts in these forums, particularly those from myself, Professor Pro, BND, and LupinX. There's a massive wealth of knowledge already available here, and discussion and new perspectives only helps to improve that further. So don't just read and lurk, but also post and contribute; just be willing to be open to other interpretations and seek those interpretations out.

This all sounds kinda flippant but honestly: communication is fantastic for improvement. Outside that, you can only practice so much on your own, and even when you play with others, unless they're communicating with you explicitly, it's hard to figure out where to go next. So be vocal as well in your interactions at smashfests, tournaments, chill days with your buds, what have you. I had an experience recently where I played with two HM Melee players in Michigan for around 4 hours. They didn't say more than two sentences to me about my gameplay. I started out doing pretty decently, taking every few sets. But eventually it just felt like they adapted to my gameplay and I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing anymore. It frustrated me a lot and I really don't enjoy those sorts of situations. So don't put yourself or others into those scenarios: call them out on their silence!

Invest in stream equipment if you can afford spending ~$150 (assuming you already have a CPU able to handle it—not that hard really) or find someone that does and make use of it. My setup cost less than $150 and as soon as my splitter cables come in the mail I'll be able to better substantiate their value, but trust me, it's not that costly. Share these videos with the forums so that we may pinpoint exact problems with your gameplay at present and so that you can also view your successes and problems second-hand. It's extremely helpful to be able to watch yourself because you'll notice things in review that you hadn't realized or remembered happened in the moment.

Additionally, practice. Practice constantly and learn constantly. Any time you pick up the game, practice. This can mean tech skill drills in your bedroom or it can mean developing matchup concepts while playing with your friends. Don't autopilot. Don't get lost in the game. Pay attention and interact with your opponent on every level. Do things differently and explore what works and doesn't work: Project M is less forgiving than Smash 4 in this regard I'm sure, but it's still very applicable—I spent my entire first year just playing things by ear and I've done decently well. I've just reached the point where I have to figure out concrete, solid plans to progress further, which is where the real work begins.

Snake is an amazing character with a lot of stuff going on. I'm glad to see a new face picking him up :)

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
http://smashboards.com/threads/top-players-videos-by-character-v3-5.378056/page-35#post-19145250

A Top Player video for Project M as of 3.5. You can find Snake videos here to watch and practice off. Since you are new, Professor Pro may be too much because he plays really fast and close-quarters, so you may feel overwhelmed on what he's doing. Start off with Toronto Joe (a Snake main from my locals) to work on your trap and grenade game since he plays slow and patient and slowly make your way up for different feels for each player to develop you and your main

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Weighing in on this, I would definitely not recommend starting off with watching TO Joe's Snake. I definitely got a TON of ideas from ProPro and Rolex primarily, with my second priorities being FlashingFire and watching my own videos. Watch what they do, how they combo and why it works, how they trap people, etc.

IIRC, TO Joe never impressed me with his play, though I haven't watched his videos in awhile.

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Weighing in on this, I would definitely not recommend starting off with watching TO Joe's Snake. I definitely got a TON of ideas from ProPro and Rolex primarily, with my second priorities being FlashingFire and watching my own videos. Watch what they do, how they combo and why it works, how they trap people, etc.

IIRC, TO Joe never impressed me with his play, though I haven't watched his videos in awhile.
I recommended TO Joe considering how slow his Snake is, while in turn is easier to study. Though Rolex does the same too lol.

BRITENESS

Smash Rookie
NNID
TBUBrony
3DS FC
3797-5874-8219
I'll start out by asking you a question: How do you know that you struggle with all the things you say you struggle with? Do you enter tournaments, or are you comparing yourself to Snakes you watch on Youtube? Do you compare your success in PM to your success in Smash 4? Having a healthy frame of mind is very important for this game, and if you're setting unreasonable goals for yourself you're gonna end up frustrated eventually. If that's all well and good and you really are just aware of your inexperience and want to work through it: Read the posts in these forums, particularly those from myself, Professor Pro, BND, and LupinX. There's a massive wealth of knowledge already available here, and discussion and new perspectives only helps to improve that further. So don't just read and lurk, but also post and contribute; just be willing to be open to other interpretations and seek those interpretations out.

This all sounds kinda flippant but honestly: communication is fantastic for improvement. Outside that, you can only practice so much on your own, and even when you play with others, unless they're communicating with you explicitly, it's hard to figure out where to go next. So be vocal as well in your interactions at smashfests, tournaments, chill days with your buds, what have you. I had an experience recently where I played with two HM Melee players in Michigan for around 4 hours. They didn't say more than two sentences to me about my gameplay. I started out doing pretty decently, taking every few sets. But eventually it just felt like they adapted to my gameplay and I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing anymore. It frustrated me a lot and I really don't enjoy those sorts of situations. So don't put yourself or others into those scenarios: call them out on their silence!

Invest in stream equipment if you can afford spending ~$150 (assuming you already have a CPU able to handle it—not that hard really) or find someone that does and make use of it. My setup cost less than $150 and as soon as my splitter cables come in the mail I'll be able to better substantiate their value, but trust me, it's not that costly. Share these videos with the forums so that we may pinpoint exact problems with your gameplay at present and so that you can also view your successes and problems second-hand. It's extremely helpful to be able to watch yourself because you'll notice things in review that you hadn't realized or remembered happened in the moment.

Additionally, practice. Practice constantly and learn constantly. Any time you pick up the game, practice. This can mean tech skill drills in your bedroom or it can mean developing matchup concepts while playing with your friends. Don't autopilot. Don't get lost in the game. Pay attention and interact with your opponent on every level. Do things differently and explore what works and doesn't work: Project M is less forgiving than Smash 4 in this regard I'm sure, but it's still very applicable—I spent my entire first year just playing things by ear and I've done decently well. I've just reached the point where I have to figure out concrete, solid plans to progress further, which is where the real work begins.

Snake is an amazing character with a lot of stuff going on. I'm glad to see a new face picking him up :)
I haven't had a chance to enter any tournaments actually. Not even for smash 4. I do use ander's smashladder to set up some matches, though. I had played project m in the past, but never got good, and stopped playing. Now that I'm more into smash 4 competitive, I thought it would be fun to start learning about project m and melee a bit more. So, I'm inexperienced because I'm new and don't have much knowledge of how to play a faster paced game like project m or melee. I asked for snake tips specifically, because that's who I'm going to start maining in project m. Other than that, I at least want to know some basics before I finally find a tournament I can actually enter without interfering with my schedule much. I'm more of a casual player trying to get to more competitive level play. I joined up in a smash group on facebook for my state, just in case anyone ever announced anything closer to me. I just need to work on switching over from an online-based setting.

I play project m on dolphin, because I it is easier to use with smash ladder that way, and I have dxtory to record gameplay with. but I have no choice with smash 4, but I have an elgato game capture HD for recording my smash 4 gameplay. I don't have any recordings set up for PM quite yet, aside from a match with a level 9 CPU. Practicing is no issue, either. I play smash pretty regularly every day, except for the days when I work 10+ hours. So, I'll start recording some things, watching over them and try to share them when possible.

Top Bottom