• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any thoughts on the new Sudden Death?

IvyDivyHorkyDorky

Smash Rookie
I'm curious how the community feels about the new sudden death. I really like the idea and hope that it gets excepted into the competitive scene. I'd love to hear reasons for and against it or whether you think competitions would be flexible in revising rules.

Spider-Link

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spiderlink
Switch FC
SW-6997-1119-0302
Personally, I like it. I believe Sakurai had a goal of finding a way to make matches move along in a timely manner when he was developing this one.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Definitely better than the bombs. I think it maybe starts to zoom in a bit to quickly, but, in general I much prefer it since so often Sudden Death turns into camping out until a bomb catches somebody off guard.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
It takes out the randomness factor of the bob-omb spawns and helps discourage camping. I love it. :)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
He finally fixed it isn't what I can say

The screen zooming in and so there's less breathing room for the player and I assume the bombs will still fall while zooming in eventually

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Love the concept. But it starts zooming too quickly. Faster characters and quick projectile characters have an enormous advantage. If you know your character has the edge in sudden death, it could promote stalling when you're down to one stock.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think it looks good enough to make a real attempt at using competitively. The same percent rules were always a pretty poor approximation of who is "really" ahead (heavier characters non-trivially disadvantaged by those rules, also didn't consider at all Nana's state which is super relevant in ICs match-ups), but they were a far preferable alternative to the awfulness that Sudden Death was before. I also firmly believe that it's important to try to play games in their "native" state, and since clearly this is an attempt to make Sudden Death competitive, we kinda need to give it a shot (and everything else clearly designed for competitive play for that matter). If it just ends up playing out badly we can always go back, but it would be a pretty bad call not to give it a real shot.

I'd also point out that fears about who stalls what out aren't particularly on point so far. So in general stalling for a time over is really common in competitive play if the time gets low. The current competitive rules mean that whoever has a lead has a strong incentive to do this, and since you can accurately gauge who wins in the end this way, you can actually take the stall strats really far out if you have a lead especially if it's not a small lead (a lot of Sonic mains make a career of this). Sudden Death when it's not RNG mostly reduces the stalling incentive because if you can win the match straight up it's a lot more reliable so if you know you're probably the stronger player or if you have a good enough lead that your opponent is in kill percents you should just go for it; why would you gamble your ability to win on landing a single blow if you have the ability to just win straight up? If you're losing and time is getting low but the stocks are even you probably try to run away since Sudden Death becomes your only real chance, but the guy who is already losing trying to run away is a lot less problematic. If there's too much time left it's pretty likely giving up offensive momentum just wrecks him, the fact that he's already losing means he's probably the weaker player and thus less likely to actually succeed, and of course the fact that he's losing means he's closer to actually dying off a single stray hit.

Novabella

Smash Rookie
My only problem with it is the start, "GO" sits on the screen so long, an PvAI battle leaves the player at an inherent disadvantage, as the AI can easily sneak an attack in right away that is difficult to counter, as you can't see a thing.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The reason it won't likely see competitive play is that we already have more fair systems set in place when it comes to tie breakers. Not to mention Sudden Death as it is right now gives an advantage to certain faster characters even without bombs.

I do love the new sudden death when playing casually, but I don't believe it should be used in a tournament setting.

Top Bottom