• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any old Roy mains use Lucina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
Back in the days of melee, when I was a youngin, I used to always play with my older Brother. We always had a constant rivalry going, He would always choose Marth and I would pick Roy. Roy was my favorite character in Melee and was my first step into the Franchise of Fire Emblem. Unfortunately, Roy was not implemented in Brawl Nor smash 4. And I really don't want to start playing PM just for Roy (though I kinda do...but that would require me to repurchase brawl)

Anyway, My question is this: Would using Lucina be a decent character to use as an alternative to Roy? I really don't want to pick Marth because my brother still uses him. I know Lucina plays almost exactly the same excluding the tipper mechanic, would it be worth it to choose Lucina

Dammit Sakurai, Give us back our boy

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I Guess? I dunno if you recall, but because of..... a lot of things, Roy was pretty bad in Melee, and because moving in too close with Roy was extremely unsafe in Melee (Mewtwo's grab lol), Roy's optimal playstyle was pretty much a worse Marth anyway. Lucina is okay from what I recall (too early to say), but nonetheless, she pretty much plays like a poor man's Marth, though not near as badly as Roy does though. She does have some things going for her though, such as her jab being a slightly better poke tool, and Upsmash being a better covereage option.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
I never considered Roy bad, but then again, that's an 11 year old's POV, and I never really understood Smash to a competitive level. I could try giving her a shot

DarkBlueSpark

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-2076-2551
Lucina and Roy aren't as similar to each other as Lucina and Marth are. That said, I main Roy in PM and Lucina in Sm4sh

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Lucina and Roy aren't as similar to each other as Lucina and Marth are. That said, I main Roy in PM and Lucina in Sm4sh
Well, I knew that, but I was referring to similar playstyle since Roy getting close in Melee was always a bad idea. He mentioned he never played PM, which is why I didn't bring it up, since Roy is a completely different beast in that game.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ Dinotard Dinotard . Welcome to Smashboards and to the Lucina character boards! First of all, Melee and Smash 4 are games with crazy differences in terms of general mechanics. Additionally, Roy and Lucina are mechanically different as well.

On another note, if you have questions like these in the future please post them in our general thread. If you want to connect with other users who support Roy for Smash 4 there is a thread dedicated to that in the general Smash 4 Character Discussion Board. Click here to access that thread. If you decide to use Lucina, our character board has a lot of information that can help you develop your game-play. If that is the case please refer to the Lucina Boards Table of Contents to access those threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom