• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any info on Samus' crawl

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
In the video I saw some quick movement that looked like a Boost Ball zip, but it's hard to say for sure. Any Back-roomers willing to share some info about Samus's new old mechanic with a veteran smasher? Or is it under wraps until the 9th?

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
Samus's crawl is just her turning into her morph ball and rolling around, what you saw that looked like a "boost ball zip" was just the player performing a technique (exclusive to Samus?) called a super wavedash.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Samus's new old mechanic with a veteran smasher? Or is it under wraps until the 9th?
New Old? So is this like so old that people think it`s new or is it so new that people confuse it for being old?

Horrendous jokes aside, that was a super wavedash. A super wave dash is a technique from Melee that only Samus could use, it has nothing to do with the crawl mechanic.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
What about at the very beginning of the crawl? She flashes yellow (like she did in the games) and appears to move quickly, then slows down after she gets behind Donkey Kong but before doing the super wavedash.

It wouldn't really surprise me if the crawl has fast initial movement but it's max speed drops after about a second.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
What you initially see from Samus as the "Samus can crawl" text comes up is actually her boost ball crawl tilt (like how Snake has his crab stab crawl tilt). Samus' crawl otherwise works like every other crawl. She tucks into a ball and can roll around. What you saw right afterwards in the video at 2:44 was Down B into super wavedash. She super wavedashes again at 3:17.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
What you initially see from Samus as the "Samus can crawl" text comes up is actually her boost ball crawl tilt (like how Snake has his crab stab crawl tilt). Samus' crawl otherwise works like every other crawl. She tucks into a ball and can roll around. What you saw right afterwards in the video at 2:44 was Down B into super wavedash. She super wavedashes again at 3:17.
#BASEDSDOOM

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Samus's crouch after initiating a crawl also retains the morph ball state, so if you initiate a crawl, then hold straight down, she stays in the morph ball.

br8k

Coolkid
Samus's crouch after initiating a crawl also retains the morph ball state, so if you initiate a crawl, then hold straight down, she stays in the morph ball.
Ohhh, I was wondering about that. So she still has her regular crouch too. Cool. And she can instantly come out morph ball to do her actual down-tilt?

hhhhh samus is going to be the most fun. Of all time. I'm going to ice uppercut everybody, forever. New side-smash animation looks cool, and like it more accurately reflects the hitbox. I hope I can still angle it so far down that it hits below the edge... and hit below the edge with the up-tilt. Samus looks incredible though. I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to play any other character for a long while after 3.0 releases.

:samus:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
And she can instantly come out morph ball to do her actual down-tilt?
I'm wondering about this too, the animation for that (or rather, lack thereof) might look really strange though. Instantly uncurling with no transition into dtilt. Or any other move for that matter.

br8k

Coolkid
Hmm.. maybe her crawl-attack functions differently, seeing as she has an "alternate crouch" and can stay in that alt crouch by holding down after starting to crawl. So maybe even if you're holding down, and not down-forward, but you're in morph ball mode, you'll do her crawl attack. So maybe you'll have to return the control stick to neutral, coming out of the morph ball in a quick uncrouch animation, and THEN input the down-tilt.

Maybe maybe.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
From a reddit thread ama thread, I heard that Samus does NOT have a crawl tilt attack and can dtilt from morph ball.

Is Samus' roll dodge going to be 50x slower than her crawl? I hope they're the same speed for mindgames.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
From a reddit thread ama thread, I heard that Samus does NOT have a crawl tilt attack and can dtilt from morph ball.

Is Samus' roll dodge going to be 50x slower than her crawl? I hope they're the same speed for mindgames.

She definitely does have a crawl tilt. It's shown in the trailer. Though you can also DTilt out of morph ball since, as ph00tbag mentioned, you can stay in morph ball as opposed to normal crouch if you stop moving after crawling. Also, Samus' roll is no longer the morph ball roll. She has more traditional rolls that are significantly faster now (think something similar to Ike's rolls).

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
IIRC, Samus's new rolls are roughly based on Other M's SenseMove.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, the Boost Ball tilt is what I was looking at. I recognized the Super Wavedash afterward (played Samus in Melee).

As for "new old mechanic", I was just referring to the fact that continuous Morph Ball rolling is an ability Samus has had in every game BUT Smash, so it's only new here. It was a dumb joke. Laugh. D:<

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Those aren't mutually exclusive though, she can and does have both, just like snake.

well she's got that new SenseMove dodge (from Other M I think?) that's faster than her old roll and doesn't involve her going into a ball.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
To be fair, the animation in Other M's gameplay segments was gorgeous. It's just that the experience of seeing it wasn't worth the pain of playing it.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Why are they reminding us of that game?

Because visually it looks ****ing awesome. I'm not going to argue with or against the other elements of the game, but I feel in terms of animation quality Other M does a nice job of essentially evolving upon games like Super Metroid. She's quick, fluid and acrobat yet in Smash she's portrayed as more robotic. I changed a number of animations to reflect Other M/Smash 4 whilst keeping a bunch of them the same as their previous incarnations to try and create a Samus that visually reflects the best of all games.

Just so you know, I worked on every new/remade Samus animation barring her rolls (haloedhero), crawl (Yeroc) and her ice USmash (jiang).

GeZ

Smash Lord
In case this needs any more confirmation, having tried 3.0 Samus, she definitely has a Morph Ball forward attack. You do it by holding down forward while in Morph Ball and it can not be performed backwards. So if you're moving forwards and you want to do it behind you you have to start rolling the other way before it'll work. Also it crosses through characters super easy and ducks a lot of ****.

Burning Boom

Smash Apprentice
In case this needs any more confirmation, having tried 3.0 Samus, she definitely has a Morph Ball forward attack. You do it by holding down forward while in Morph Ball and it can not be performed backwards. So if you're moving forwards and you want to do it behind you you have to start rolling the other way before it'll work. Also it crosses through characters super easy and ducks a lot of ****.

That raises two more questions: Does she need much momentum to attack in a direction? How quick and responsive does she turn in the Morph Ball? Can it perform an equivalent of a DD?

cmart

Smash Lord
Morphball is extremely responsive, and you just need the game to recognize you as moving forward to do the boost ball - you can do it almost immediately out of crouch for example.

Top Bottom