• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any good combos?

Redemption

Smash Cadet
I'm looking for new ways to improve my Olimar all the time. I main other characters, one being Ness, and on the Ness board they have a HUGE section of Ness AT's and combos. Now, I'm just wondering if there are any like that for our little Olimar? Does Olimar have any Ats? What are good follow ups to his Dthrow and Uthrow? Can he chain grab? What are some of his best combos? And what exactly is a Pivot grab?

Oh and I know there aren't *true* combos in brawl, but you get what I mean.

asob4

Smash Champion
well there's a d-throw flow chart with all the things you can do after d-throw
heavy characters you can chain grab with d-throw to ~30%
it works well on wolf hehe

all of oli's combo's are true combos

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman

There's no way that's true. Chars can Jump away/DI/air dodge to escape many of Oli's Dthow "combos"...

asob4

Smash Champion
from 0% it's very hard to DI away from them and many are inescapable

i've been able to get them on some of the greatest players that i know, many of which place VERY well at regional tournaments and are very very good.

and if you can get them on level 9 computers, who have perfect DI and insane dodging skills, pretty sure they're inescapable.

the only ones who can get out of them easily are the floaty characters who go too high

bdance23

Smash Cadet
i dunno why the **** ppl say there are no combos...just look @ olimar...so many combos

shrinkray21

Smash Ace

Totally False!!!! Olly has 2 true combos.

i dunno why the **** ppl say there are no combos...just look @ olimar...so many combos
...depends on how you view combo's...if you view tech chases as combos, then everyone has plenty.

Rocann

Smash Lord
well the 'all of oli's combos are true combos' comment is sort of impossible to even respond to because, well, obviously he has combos that aren't "true combos!" so the only way to really say it is "all of oli's true combos are true combos, and there are multiplę."

asob4

Smash Champion
i'm referring to the ones at 0%
many of them are "true combos"
they are inescapable even with DI
after that certain percent, they become tech chases

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Some of you guys may find this stupid, but I like to name combos that I find work really well. It helps me remember them. Hey, the masters of marshal arts named their combos, so it's not that stupid, and it's sort of fun.

I just started with Olimar, I've got some low percent combos named:

Bulborb Spiker (d-throw, short hop, d-air)
New Day (d-tilt, d-tilt, u-tilt, u-air)
Crash Landing (f-fall, auto-canceled d-air, d-smash)
Snitchbug's Bane (u-smash repeatedly until escape, u-air)

Sure, they're not all true combos, but they work pretty well nonetheless.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
i'm referring to the ones at 0%
many of them are "true combos"
they are inescapable even with DI
after that certain percent, they become tech chases
only 2 are inescapable...If you read them(opponent) correctly, you can hit them with something, however, that doesn't mean that if they were prepared, they would have been hit, that's what makes olly effective.

He's hard to read!

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Some of you guys may find this stupid, but I like to name combos that I find work really well. It helps me remember them. Hey, the masters of marshal arts named their combos, so it's not that stupid, and it's sort of fun.

I just started with Olimar, I've got some low percent combos named:

Bulborb Spiker (d-throw, short hop, d-air)
New Day (d-tilt, d-tilt, u-tilt, u-air)
Crash Landing (f-fall, auto-canceled d-air, d-smash)
Snitchbug's Bane (u-smash repeatedly until escape, u-air)

Sure, they're not all true combos, but they work pretty well nonetheless.

O_O

Those are the most awesome names for combos ever. You win. Do more.

P.S. Auto-cancelled... wha? >.>

Pikminmaniac

Smash Cadet
Kyas FTW! I like it when people actually know something about the series the characters they use come from. I don't chose characters based on my skill with them, but because of the series they com from. Olimar is my main because Pikmin is a classic and Pikmin 2 is my favorite game.

This might not be a real combo, but I do this to rack up some damage.

Dthrow, short hop forward smash, pull away from oponent using pikmin toss while they get knocked back and are lying on the ground. Most people don't expect it. I shall name it "The Ravenous Whiskerpiller" For no real reason other than I love the name.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
O_O

Those are the most awesome names for combos ever. You win. Do more.

P.S. Auto-cancelled... wha? >.>
The situation is normally that your opponent has knocked you into the air. If you fast fall and time it properly you can auto cancel a D-air by finishing the move just as you land. The hitbox lasts until right as you hit the ground: the move will only stun your opponent at low percents, launch them at higher percents. The best thing, however, is the fact that if you pull it off properly, the auto-cancel gives you a perfect window for another move. In fact, I think there could be some true combos with this :)

Oh, also, if you short hop and immeadiately d-air, you should stay airborne long enough for it to auto cancel, as well.

You see, D-air is one of my favorites of Olimar's moveset. I use it tons and have alot of combos based off of it. Eventually, I intend to make a full list of my favorite combos, complete with names!

asob4

Smash Champion
only 2 are inescapable...If you read them(opponent) correctly, you can hit them with something, however, that doesn't mean that if they were prepared, they would have been hit, that's what makes olly effective.

He's hard to read!
you would think that but the people who i play with all the time know all my combo's, and they still can't get out of them no matter what they do

PS i play with some of the top in so cal

Olimarman

Smash Ace
you would think that but the people who i play with all the time know all my combo's, and they still can't get out of them no matter what they do

PS i play with some of the top in so cal
It doesn't matter who you play against... some characters can and some can't. The skill level of the player doesn't matter at all.

asob4

Smash Champion
how does skill not matter? they know what's coming and what they can do to get out of it (SDI) yet they still can't.

Top Bottom