• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti-Pikachu help plz

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
I know I cry a lot about bad matchups but right now there are no vids for me to watch of better people doing these matchups so I'm lost on tactics.

I recently went up against a Pikachu in a tourney (never fought a serious Pikachu before) and he pretty much shut me down. I lost 2 stocks (of 3) in the final round to Thunder at 50% because Cypher sends you high over the stage and apparently my airdodging sucks.

Basically how the matches went is he spammed thundershockboltwhatever (standard B) while jumping and spacing, and the only approach I had was walk-powershield-walk-powershield-walk-powershield until I got close enough to actually start fighting. Looking for tips on other approaches to use here.

When it actually got to the fighting, my jab combo for some reason did not work. After the first hit, he could duck at any time and make the kick whiff, following up with a dsmash. If I hit him offstage by whatever means, he would up-B to ledgehog which is as far as I know unstoppable in Brawl (mortars and Nikitas did not seem to stop him) so I couldn't bair his face or anything.

HLP PLZ

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Vertical KO's. KO him off the top, that'll nullify his Up-B recovery.

Also, small characters in general give Snake a hard time, as most of them are hard to hit with a number of your attacks. Try Dtilt to nair, or if he's spamming thunderjolt, throw grenades a him. They'll cancel out his thunderjolts and blow him up in the process if he's close enough to the grenade.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
That's one thing I know I screwed up. I didn't dtilt at all, despite it being a perfectly good move to use. I forget about it too often.

Nairs seem to set me up for a thundershock to the face.Grenades also get stopped dead by thunderwhatever.

He wasn't just spamming thunderthing like an idiot, he was using it in the air and retreating after the attack, making retaliation difficult.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
First, try going to a platform stage. That'll help with the thunderjolts. Next, pull some nikitas off, and get them into the sky. Then, aim them towards Pikachu. This will force Pikachu to move. When he's close to you, cancel the missile and use a dtilt to get him of the ground (you have a bigger range, as well as a better priority than a number of his attacks. That's the goodness of dtilt). Once he's off the ground, uair, nair, dair, or ftilt. Or, whatever, it's all you from there.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
If you fire a Nikita, Pikachu can up-B next to you and dsmash before you get to cancel it. Pikachu is too fast for Nikitas to help much.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
That's what the platfoms are for. The problem is, now, to bait Pikachu to coming towards you. I have yet to figure out an idea of how to bait a spamming Pikachu.

Kamaji

Smash Ace
every pikachu I play against spams the down b and down smash, so all i do is pull a grenade and shield to up air... problem solved. Also i've found short hop-nair to be a good approach.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
What we're discussing is a Pikachu that spams neutral-B. I suggest platforms, so that you'll always have clean floor to stand on to avoid the thunderjolts.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
What we're discussing is a Pikachu that spams neutral-B. I suggest platforms, so that you'll always have clean floor to stand on to avoid the thunderjolts.
He stood to the left of the left platform in battlefield and did aerial thunderjolts. I couldn't approach from above because he would just double-jump and hit the platform with thunderjolt, or thunder, and I couldn't approach from below because of the thunderjolt spam. The only thing I was left with was walk-powershield until I got close enough to scare him out of spamming.

Firing a Nikita is just asking for a dsmash. As soon as you fire it, he can up-B next to you, and a good Pikachu will go around platforms etc. No way to avoid that.

Standing on the other platform was my only defense, and that just boils down to who gets tired first.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
against pika you wanna always have a nade in hand and you always want to be in close. pressure him. camping is a no go. with nade you can shield nade him in close and you can pressure his shields and go in for grabs, natural combos and f-tilts.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
wow i am having the same problem with my cousin. he loves pikachu but he spams thunderbolt and side b like a mad man. it drives me crazy although i guess it is good practice in the end

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Nade in hand is also a no-go. If he spaces you and does thunderjolt effectively, you can't approach (or at least not by conventional means, still looking for help with a good approach), and the grenade is just ticking away in your hand.

This Pikachu player was not spamming B moves in the corner, he was staying in the air and properly using his height advantage on the ground to avoid hits. What I'm really looking for is a better way to approach thunderjolt spam.

Mura

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...by any chance, did this happen to be a GATech Game Tourney that happened March 8th-9th? >.>

Whateva

Smash Rookie
i was having the same problem with the yellow rat most of them like to stay on one side and spam those lil bolts, for those one grenade usually throws them off forcing them to move or stop sheilding, then you have those yellow rats that jump in the air and only attack behind the those lil bolts, once again a grenade helps, i usually pull out a grenade and roll so that i drop the grenade in place once again throwing them of. and a very important thing to remember is the nikita missle cancel out the electricity and keep goin

Whateva

Smash Rookie
thought this might be of help

"Yes, I'm not the best, but I don't suck.

I just played a ridiculous match vs a snake on Battlefield. Grenade spam, a dash attack that crosses the level and immediately covers all the air above him, a dash attack that hits you into mines on platforms, and an utilt that out prioritizes anything coming down from above a platform.

How do you fight that? All what it was was me (Pikachu) running around getting owned by a grenade here or a mine there. All what he did was dash -> usmash back and forth and throw in a few ftilts. this was interesting"

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...by any chance, did this happen to be a GATech Game Tourney that happened March 8th-9th? >.>
Lol yeah that was me.

I just expected to not lose so badly to you, since you hadn't played as much, and there's nobody who plays Pikachu to practice on so I thought the forums might help.

Top Bottom