• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti-Lucario Help

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
Hiya, folks. My friend plays Ike, and I'm an ardent Lucario main. In our daily smash sessions ever since the release, we've been doing Ike/Lucario battles, and he's just about at his wit's end. He can't think of any way to counter Lucario's range, wide hitboxes, fast dodges, counter, huge roll distance, high priority vs Ike, large AoE with his attacks, difficulty in dodging attacks, good recovery, and resistance to being KO'd. (his words, not mine)

So thus, I come to all ye pro Ike folks. What's the best way for Ike to utterly destroy Lucario?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Wait for him to miss, because most of his attacks have a lil lag, and will leave him open.

He flies far, Ike shouldn't need too many hits to put him down.

Still, Lucario is a ***** to fight.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Strange...most Lucario players would agree that Ike is a difficult match up. His sword out-ranges and out-prioritises the aura, and Lucario rarely can survive long enough against Ike to get the full benefit from his special ability.

Lucario's only fast attacks are his tilts, aerials and grabs, most of which come out at mid-close range. Either way, you still have an advantage in range and priority with that big sword, so trying to stay just out of his reach and using Ftilt and jab combo to close in as well as Quick draw should do nicely. Lucario also has pretty poor recovery with his up B, and if he's not sticking to the side of the stage or grabbing the ledge, he has enough lag for you to land any kind of strong hit against him.

Try not to use too many moves that will get you in range for his grab throws. When you're at low %, don't let him get too close to you, as he can chain throw with his >B move until about 50%. However, if he misses (as in you roll behind him when he tries to use this move) you get a free Ftilt or Aether because the firing animation has quite a bit of startup time and lag.

Don't be fooled into rushing in and attacking after you block an Fsmash. Luc's Fsmash has lots of startup time, but surprisingly small lag afterwards, and he'll probably hit you with an Ftilt or AAA combo. If he starts throwing a bunch of Aura spheres at you, just stand back and dodge them, or make your way over to him carefully. You can cancel them by hitting them with an Ftilt or whatever to make them go away.

Also, don't use any slower moves without careful planning. So don't jump towards him and try to hit with Fair. A good Lucario player can use Double Team to stop moves like this on reaction.

DivinityZERO

Smash Rookie
Agreed.

Lucario isn't much of a hard match for Ike if you stay on your toes. Move around a lot. If he starts aura ball spamming you, SH over them and approach with >B. Considering Ike's lag and Lucario's speed, I tend to use his jab combo and Bairs constantly.

Be unpredictable as possible.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'd have to say I find it weird that Ike is having a problem with Lucario. Don't get me wrong, Lucario is a pretty nice character but... Ike should beat him in Range, Priority, and as stated above, kill him before he makes use of his special ability.

He must be really predictable with Ike or you are REALLY good with counters. I really don't see why he's constantly losing personally.

Top Bottom