• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] How to Counter Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Objekshin

Smash Cadet
I've been up against quite a few roys lately, and I don't know how to fight against him, which way to DI, etc.
I need to know how to counter the down throw combo, and how to approach. Any suggestions?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
First off, he suffers against projectiles. Second, he is easily gimped if hit while offstage.

DI wise, his d-throw combos into fair if you DI away
Uair, Blazer if you DI up
Jab-DED if you DI down
Uair, if you DI back
Fsmash if you airdodge
Jump might be the safest option but at the same time it can still be punished with Uair

So your pretty much doomed in that part, however, if you can read his option then you can airdodge out of most of these. But, if he reads your airdodge then you get hit with Fsmash

Approach is difficult on account of his standard b and dtilt. but it is not impossible.

If you are playing fox(which looks to be your main) then you might want to spam lasers to force Roy to approach you, which is far less favorable to roy.

Anyways, this is my opinion. Take it as you please. This is just how I approach the MU.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The best way to avoid the Dthrow combos is to avoid getting grabbed in the first place. So yeah don't throw unsafe moves on Roy's shield and play smart.

Other than that you'd probably find more answers on the boards of your character where people with experience against Roy will give you more meaningful advice than Roy players.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Well, since I assume you main Fox, I don't have a lot of knowledge against him in general. I'll try, though.

You want to try to avoid Roy getting in on you in the first place. Fox has lasers, which would be very good against Roy since he suffers against projectiles, especially on FD. Lasers can also help you approach. Out of D-Throw, your best option is to jump, although you can be chased with U-Air. It allows for minimal damage and the least amount of follow-ups. Honestly, just keep away from Roy. Go in when you're absolutely sure you can get a grab or start a combo. Your best move is your lasers for basically everything as long as you have a nice wall going with them. Try to ask Fox mains as well, they can give you insight on the other side of the matchup (what to look out for, optimal options, etc.).

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Best, simple advice from me would to bait. Roy's strong attacks are slow enough to punish. With Fox's speed, you can dart in and out of his range, and if you can trick him into an F-smash, f-tilt or dash attack, you can grab him and go to town with air combos. If you're good enough, you can gimp his mediocre recovery with a N-air off-stage. If he's in the air, just be sure not to get nailed with counters. Shield grabbing is probably one of the best options against him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom