• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another Ness review thread(vid link inside)

Reik

Smash Ace
You rely too heavily on your shield/sidesteps and you're too full-jump aerial spammy when you're not sure what to do. Example of random full-jumpyness gone bad: End of 3rd match with GAwes. Once you're in the air, your options are limited. All he had to do was bait you into doing that predictable doublejump second aerial and punish you for it.

Stick close to the ground against characters with great mobility. When you and your opponent are playing the dash dance game, your best options are dash attack, JC grab, and low DJCs. You should use the dash attack when you know your opponent is going to try to bait you into attacking by dashing away. You should use the other stuff after you've just evaded your opponent's attack. If you're good at DJC B-airs, you can dash away before a shieldgrab and punish.

And learn to untumble air dodge. (Flick the analog stick from left to right or vice versa once very quickly as soon as you come out of stun.) It can save your *** when you don't have your double jump.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Thanks for the tips man. Yeah, I noticed that I full jump waaay too much. It does me a lot of good after djc'ing a bair on the back of someones shield, I can normally catch them with a full jump nair when they try to jump out of their shield to punish/get away from me. When I do it randomly when no ones near me.... Thats bad -_-

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Nice

There sure have been a lot of Ness vids lately.

Anyways, Reik already covered a lot of what I was going to say. Since you cant airdodge while tumbling, tuble recovering helps since recovering with PKT isn't always a good idea especially close to the stage. Get a bit more agressive too. You shield a lot and rely on shiled grabs and DjC nairs out of shield. They're nice, but dont rely on them as often to bring up damage. When trying to sweetspot with an airdodge, remember that you can only sweetspot it after the lag while you fall helpless.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Nice

There sure have been a lot of Ness vids lately.

Anyways, Reik already covered a lot of what I was going to say. Since you cant airdodge while tumbling, tuble recovering helps since recovering with PKT isn't always a good idea especially close to the stage. Get a bit more agressive too. You shield a lot and rely on shiled grabs and DjC nairs out of shield. They're nice, but dont rely on them as often to bring up damage. When trying to sweetspot with an airdodge, remember that you can only sweetspot it after the lag while you fall helpless.
Thanks for the tips as well :p I didn't realize I try to shield grab so much, i'll work on it.

BTW, I wasn't trying to sweetspot the ledge with an airdodge... For some stupid reason I was trying to wavedash onto the level, even though I was under it. Dont ask me why I did it, lol ;p Just stupid nervous mistakes I guess.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Watched the Phanna set.

Your manuverability is excellent, and you used it to create opportunities abundant; very good, Samus is tough to get in on. Good use of PK thunder in edgeguarding as well, but watch those whips when your opponent can easily recover. With Samus it's not so much about edgeguarding as it is racking damage, and thunder does that well enough. Can you edgehog and drop down with an N-air when she recovers low like that, then use your 2nd jump and airdodge to regrab?

You could use work on your Fair combos; you seemed to stop chaining at about 40%, when you need to switch from a second f-air to slightly slower up-air to gain that height (vs. Samus anyways), but you had good pressue, and you followed Phanna really well, considering he's known for his flashy moves.

Good work defensively overall, actually, but you could work on your recovery against those missiles; it's what got you killed in the end, and IMO, it's where you lost the set. You can use your airdodge and fastfall to cut through them and hit the ledge before she can hog it, usually, as well as otherwise using your fastfall to dodge.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Watched the Phanna set.

Your manuverability is excellent, and you used it to create opportunities abundant; very good, Samus is tough to get in on. Good use of PK thunder in edgeguarding as well, but watch those whips when your opponent can easily recover. With Samus it's not so much about edgeguarding as it is racking damage, and thunder does that well enough. Can you edgehog and drop down with an N-air when she recovers low like that, then use your 2nd jump and airdodge to regrab?

You could use work on your Fair combos; you seemed to stop chaining at about 40%, when you need to switch from a second f-air to slightly slower up-air to gain that height (vs. Samus anyways), but you had good pressue, and you followed Phanna really well, considering he's known for his flashy moves.

Good work defensively overall, actually, but you could work on your recovery against those missiles; it's what got you killed in the end, and IMO, it's where you lost the set. You can use your airdodge and fastfall to cut through them and hit the ledge before she can hog it, usually, as well as otherwise using your fastfall to dodge.
Thanks man, yeah I got hit by a LOT of missiles. I was really dissapointed in myself from that aspect, cause i'm used to fighting samus.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
Too bad (Thank goodness) the vids of you wrecking MY falcon aren't available.

My G&W was so close :urg:
Nah man, if I remember right all our matches were pretty close.

Seriously though, I got so much falcon practice at this one. I played you, Gawes, and Derf all in a good amount of matches at that tourney :p

thabettaplaya

Smash Apprentice
what's up angry?! yea i already know you've got a great ness. i got some vids of my ness on youtube now. i'll post the link a little later. you need to give me some advice.

Nemba

Smash Cadet
I noticed a few things, and although I've never fought in actual tournaments and the like I do try a few things that tend to work pretty well. I suggest when you use PK to return to the stage, be sure to aim for the edge unless y'know you can clear it above the opponent or hit them directly. Also, keep an eye on their shield. I noticed a lot of chances where the opponents shield was low and you could easily fit in a Usmash to the feet, PK Fire to the feet, (or if they are standing above you) a PK thunder to the feet. And...since their shield is so reduced they can't block it. In addition, keep an eye on repetitive attacks. I noticed w/ Samus that there was a lot of edgeguarding to beam blasts which you could've easily absorbed. Though most people say not to absorb energy, when it's obvious you can get away with it- do it. Sometimes it will go faulty, but if it doesn't it's that much more rewarding. Sometimes you gotta take risks. I suggest practicing w/ the Yo-yo too, especially in cases where there is a lot of DD goin' on. If you time it right you can usually trip the opponent while their Dash Dancing if you throw the Yo-Yo out unexpectedly. However, more DjC to Meteor. On a light note: You got potential, good defense, and good combos once you get it goin'.

Top Bottom