• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another approach idea

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I found that air dodging into an opponent is a safe way to approach opponents. Air dodging --> into Zair can lead into many things such as Nair, Grab, Jab (fastest option), dtilt, uptilt, etc.

I would like to know how you guys approach opponents or even your playstyles and even If this approach option has been useful to you

MillionGoldMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MillGoldMan
3DS FC
4699-8722-4893
I found that air dodging into an opponent is a safe way to approach opponents. Air dodging --> into Zair can lead into many things such as Nair, Grab, Jab (fastest option), dtilt, uptilt, etc.

I would like to know how you guys approach opponents or even your playstyles and even If this approach option has been useful to you
I would actually reccomend F-Air depending on the situation. I would definetely use it if the opponent is near the edge as it can lead to an edge guard,

In terms of combos though, i would use D-Air a bit. The other options are definetely more reliable, but D-air can be pretty good.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Lucas' Zair is a little like Link's brawl Zair in that regard, we used to cancel airdodges into it all the time. The problem is you get a lot of lag still this game when you SH airdodge so I doubt canceling it into Zair often is very safe. Keep in mind you can cancel SH airdodge lag with any special -- PSI Magnet and PK Fire being the most useful.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
@ Dumbfire Dumbfire on the subject of Zair approaches do u believe it is a good switch up in terms of approaches? Between approaching with Fair, retreating pk fire and so on, I think it is a Nice switch up to fool your opponent.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I find that a spaced rar bair is safe on block, unless someone hasnt punished me yet for it.

Also, zair close to the ground can hit opponents on the ground.

Its best not to air dodge cancel zair because of the immense landing lag on air dodges.

You can also do retreating pk fires because of the pushback. Like dash forward, jump cancel backwards pk fire.
But yeah, standard lucas stuff....zair to grab, zair to dash attack, zair to jab, zair is just good over all.

Zair to ftilt, sometimes zair to fsmash. Zair to fair.

Falling nair to uptilt or jab or grab.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
For anyone who doesnt know, you can magically(idk why) cancel the lag of your shorthop airdodge by simply SH Airdodge into Back Air

Last edited:

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Ive been playin some lucas the past two days and i really love the zair as said earlier, after ~110% if you hit with the hard hitbox you can lead it to a dtilt jablock to upsmash, saw someone post a video on it on Reddit and actually did it today in a friendly!

MrTeddyBear

Smash Apprentice
Dashing into spot dodge is a good way to approach, you maintain momentum when you do the spot dodge so that you can pass opponents and end up behind them, leading to a variety of opportunities.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
I think i found an interesting way of approaching...
Hold on!
Lmao this reminds me of zap jump, Let me show some footage

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
@ Dumbfire Dumbfire on the subject of Zair approaches do u believe it is a good switch up in terms of approaches? Between approaching with Fair, retreating pk fire and so on, I think it is a Nice switch up to fool your opponent.
Well it's very shieldable because its range is so small, and to use it as usable approach you have to hit closer to Lucas (not the tip) -- if that opening is there you might as well Nair. I usually tip it for spacing, keep pressure up with that and PK Fire then wait for an eventual opening. Zair does go through projectiles (Samus normal missiles, Ryu's things, for example).

Run up shield is versatile too, I get a lot out of just run up shield drop to Jab, and baiting to pivot Ftilts. If my opponent camps more (I've played lots of Links already) I get them the most when they short hop or full hop for something, like Links in their full hop bomb pull. Full hopped Fairs or Zairs work then (Zair then disturbs them in their aerial trajectory and you can get them on landing and it's safe when you miss).

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
For anyone who doesnt know, you can magically(idk why) cancel the lag of your shorthop airdodge by simply SH Airdodge into Back Air
Because back air has less landing lag than air dodge.

Im a zss main and i can air dodge, then up air cuz up air has super little landing lag and can follow up with other options.

Just as a rule of thumb, if you air dodge close to the ground, be sure to throw out your least laggy move before landing if you can. Otherwise you may get punished hard.

Edit: upon seeing your video... that is wierd cuz idk why.

Last edited:

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Because back air has less landing lag than air dodge.

Im a zss main and i can air dodge, then up air cuz up air has super little landing lag and can follow up with other options.

Just as a rule of thumb, if you air dodge close to the ground, be sure to throw out your least laggy move before landing if you can. Otherwise you may get punished hard.

Edit: upon seeing your video... that is wierd cuz idk why.
Yeah, pretty awesome right? :p

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Wow this is some nice tech, can't Wait till I find out more about Lucas. I also find it useful to empty hop into grab to catch opponent of guard when they are expecting you to hit shield

Muddyk

Smash Cadet
NNID
theflyingmud
3DS FC
4656-7708-6477
yes i've been using bair for approaching melee characters and air dodge nair/zair/fair for projectile users. it's gotten me some pretty good mileage though i don't know how safe this actually is as i haven't been punished too hard seeing as no one has PB my fair and they're pretty safe on shield when sweetspotted (i think).

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Also another thing: zair into jump cancel down b
that sounds awesome, gotta try that! Idk why but i rly dig that the down b got a hitbox :)

not an approach per se, but something i've found useful as a mixup is doublejump, jc with down b to pk fire, this makes the pk fire go close to the ground hitting even some of the shorter from the cast! You can allso wavebounce your down B and reverse your PK Fire to get some extra distance between you and your foe!

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
that sounds awesome, gotta try that! Idk why but i rly dig that the down b got a hitbox :)

not an approach per se, but something i've found useful as a mixup is doublejump, jc with down b to pk fire, this makes the pk fire go close to the ground hitting even some of the shorter from the cast! You can allso wavebounce your down B and reverse your PK Fire to get some extra distance between you and your foe!
To get your pk fire closer to the ground try practicing SH retreating pk fires, they will be much easier to throw out in an actual game and quicker

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766

Down b had a hitbox in brawl

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
To get your pk fire closer to the ground try practicing SH retreating pk fires, they will be much easier to throw out in an actual game and quicker
That's why i called it a mixup, retreating sh pk fires is what i usually do, but sometimes ill opt for the fulljump jc pk fire just because noone expects a pk fire when you're doing fuljumps (and the fact that if they rush past you, you have all the time in the world to simply fire the pk fire in their new direction instead).

Down b had a hitbox in brawl
I barely touched brawl, played mellee as a kid and now smash 4, so lucas is still very fresh for me! :)

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat

Ill attach an example from a match i played yesterday( me being P1 with the blue striped shirt). Once again, not a reliable way to APPROACH, but some nice mindgames to mix up your pk fires with!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Yeah, pretty awesome right? :p
I think i have an answer.

As a villager main to, i notice i can down air or up air before the turnips come out and its completley lagless. So perhaps if you do a certain move during the start up frames, before the hitbox comes out, its lagless.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361

As a villager main to, i notice i can down air or up air before the turnips come out and its completley lagless. So perhaps if you do a certain move during the start up frames, before the hitbox comes out, its lagless.
Yep, pretty much like Sheik's SH Airdodge into Fair

MillionGoldMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MillGoldMan
3DS FC
4699-8722-4893

Oh hey! Another villager main :awesome::4villager:

Is his Up smash a good idea to use
For approaching? I dont think it would be...

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
I notice japanese peach players approach by air dodging into float. Can Lucas punish shield grabs with air dodging into psi magnet reliably? :O

Top Bottom