• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcing the Dedede Hangout Trial Run!

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Hey all! Ever struggle to find live smash communities near you? Need to level up your game? Or maybe just want to chill with with some of the top players on this board? Then THIS IS FOR YOU.

Some have noticed that the :4dedede:boards are trending more negative lately, and we want to change that. And of course all of us want to git gud, but it's hard to find quality, live, and experienced D3 feedback. So to hit two birds with one stone...

What: a trial run of a recurring evening hangout for us D3 mains/lovers/diehards! Come and hang for however long you can - 15 mins, two hours, whatever. Some structure will be needed to give this movement and purpose. A draft example:
  • Pre-7 PM: friend code sharing + casuals,
  • 7-9 PM: intentional "how can I get better" critique matches (spectators if possible) and tech testing/improv
  • 9-10 PM: a quick tourney to apply what's learned,
  • 10 PM and after: fun junk - custom stages, items, casuals, etc
Of course these are just ideas - if this goes well, there's a ton we could add - like having guest players come in to give us top-level matchup experience, create community videos, etc. The possibilitiessss...

Where
: after some thought, Smashladder will probably serve our purposes best - due to the ease of creating a chatroom, legit matches, and running tournaments. Skype, IRC, and Teamspeak are all OK, but lack the fantastic ease of use that Anther created with Smashladder. Once we get close to the event, I'll post here with the chatroom name, and you can invite yourself in.

When: this is where you come in. Between November 9-13, what nights would you be able to get online for at least part of the event? Personally I'd prefer earliest as possible because I'm pumped for the idea (the 9th or the 10th), but let us know what works for you!

The initial purpose here is to get the event off the ground, see how it goes, and then re-evaluate. So right now, your feedback is huge - what do you think? Would you be up for this, would you find it valuable? If enough people respond, I'll repost here with a set date, and we'll make this thing happen. Thanks a ton, and I look forward to playing with everyone!

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
This is a really cool idea and I definitely want to be involved! Personally, I prefer the air 9th and 13th of November, since those are the two days I'd be able to stay the longest. Definitely keep me posted!

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
I'm down. I'll try to show up on those days if I'm not killed from work. I assume you'll probably be Soultrain on Smashladder.

But a tournament full of DDDitos would be AIDS lol I hate the ditto SO much.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Yes! I would love to do this. Like I said in the social forum though, I only have the 3DS version, so I probably wouldn't be able to compete in the tourney. However, I know that many of you have the 3DS version as well, so I could probably still do friendlies and critique matches if anyone wants to boot up their 3DS.
As for dates, I am best for the 10th, 11th, or 12th (The exact opposite of Jimmy it seems. . . :( )

EDIT: Well, I'm not good for the 10th anymore, so my best days would be the 11th or 12th. I would still be able to play a little bit no matter what day, but not the entire time

Last edited:

BulgeTremmor

Smash Rookie
This is an amazing idea! I cannot wait to have the King Dedede boards shine with positivism like it used to. Count me in for every day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd love to join as well. I'll be free on the 9th and 13th!

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
But a tournament full of DDDitos would be AIDS lol I hate the ditto SO much.
Mannn I actually really like the idea of an all Dedesy tournament. I want to finally learn the MU so I can MM and trash any other Dedede player that comes my way.

Yes! I would love to do this. Like I said in the social forum though, I only have the 3DS version, so I probably wouldn't be able to compete in the tourney. However, I know that many of you have the 3DS version as well, so I could probably still do friendlies and critique matches if anyone wants to boot up their 3DS.
As for dates, I am best for the 10th, 11th, or 12th (The exact opposite of Jimmy it seems. . . :( )
Rip

I still have a 3DS though we could probably just play at some other time. I still love to play the 3DS version for the stages and the graphics. I looooove the 3DS graphics so so much.

Last edited:

Ekkie

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGreatEK
I'd definitely be interested, though my internet fluctuates a lot so I'm not sure what date would be good. Hopefully this ignites new passion in the good king.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I'm down at any date. I likely have the best internet out of all of us, and I'll gladly set up next to my router for this.

Also, I have NEVER won a D3 ditto, like , ever. Even those D3's who Fsmash and gordo exclusively beat me. I think its a mental block at this point.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm down for this. Don't have any particular days that work best for me, as it'll all depend on my work schedule, and I won't know how that'll look until Friday at the earliest.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
Ah yea probably discord. Hi (Re) Speedy here i'd be down for this on the 13th. Everything relating Dedede on theses boards and in general have been pretty negative tbh so this would def be good for the community to lighten up a little about our bad character lol. :4dedede: still loves himself despite how bad he is so y not just accept it at this point?

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
For the record: there's nothing forcing people to using D3 in the tournament. Personally I'd probably run my secondary Pika in that matchup anyways, so lulz no need to risk AIDS, Girthquake Girthquake . Unless we do a D3-only, Gordo-only tournament, at 300%...

Wait, Soul Train Soul Train , are we doing this every day next week or just the day that the majority of people can be there?
This will occur just on one night, not a whole week lulz. In fact, I'll make it official: we'll hold the first hangout this coming Monday, November 9th, from 6-11 PM EST. Feel free to come whenever, here's the schedule of the night, reposted from above:
  • 7-9 PM: intentional "how can I get better" critique matches (spectators if possible) and tech testing/improv
While we will evaluate other options, this first event will happen on Smashladder, so please create an account there if you haven't already. Even if you just have a 3DS, Muskrat Catcher Muskrat Catcher - I know lots of us here have one as well (myself included). I'll post here on Monday again with the name of the chatroom once I create it. Come for however long you can! And come with questions/ideas/random crap to try out! Looking forward to it, peeps.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Ok, thanks for working to accomodate me. This Monday, I will only be available for the friend code sharing + casuals part anyways. I got marching band practice taking up the rest of the time. The marching season is ending soon though, so if you want to make it a regular thing on Mondays, I will probably be good for the entire time starting 2 weeks from now.

Aki

Smash Cadet
NNID
Im_Aki
3DS FC
1306-5844-3434
What a shame, I would have loved to show up but 6PM EST is midnight for me and I have an exam on the 10th. Maybe next time.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm going to be at work until 8:30, but I'll try to jump onto Anther's and take part in the tourney. I play a few characters besides Dedede for fun, as far as tournaments go I mainly run Dedede and ROB, with some Doc and Charizard on the side...so, I guess if anyone wants to practice against a mediocre Doc/Charizard user tonight I'll hopefully be around.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Hey all! I'm pumped, because our first hangout is tonight, starting at 6 PM EST! Come ready to have fun and improve!

We'll be running this through smashladder (for now), so if you haven't already please setup your account beforehand! Our chatroom will be "Dedestruction" - just click the "+" at the top left of the main chat box to join. And to save time, please enter your friend code into your profile so others can quickly friend you. I'll be on a bit before 6 to get the chatroom up.

With the tourney, here's the bracket link: http://challonge.com/dedestruction, and you can sign up here. For the record, tourney rules (which will be explained later) are as standard as you get. Double elimination, stage striking and all that, play whoever you want...no need for this to be a D3-only thing. A reminder of the schedule:
Cya'll tonight!

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
TheFlawedOne is my ID. Won't be there at 6:00 gotta pick up wife from work, but 6:30 :D

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Lost at where to find the chat room, etc
Looks like you found it! To reiterate for all: once you get into Smashladder.com and login, just click the "+" at the top left of the main chat box, then enter in "Dedestruction" - and you're in!

To all: try to enter in your NNID on smashladder before making any matches.
  • Click your name in the top right.
  • Hit "Profile", then the "Games" tab.
  • Scroll down to Wii U.
  • Enter in your NNID.
  • Profit!

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
How's it going? Is there a challonge bracket???
Hah unfortunately we didn't really get enough people to do a legit bracket, but definitely had fun. Evidently we have multiple lurkers in the forum from other parts of the globe, they showed up. And we learned that Flawed is great but can't do the D3 ditto. Next time we'll probably just give the board more advance notice, and maybe try to publicize this a little more.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Sorry about not making it. I've been dumping most of my time into my stream. If you ever do this again I'll try my best to make it.

Top Bottom