• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime and Scheduled Air Time

NightStormFox

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1813-8527
For the anime fans of SmashBoards I would like to touch base on a matter of opinion.

Many of you are aware a lot of shows are scheduled for the same day every week exactly one week after the previous episode was aired. I'm aware much of the material is prepared before the show ever even airs, but some shows with say 600+ episodes couldn't possibly be prepared that far in advance working on limited resources and time as well as dividing up work to produce other shows.

So my question is, would you wait two weeks for 45 minutes worth of show provided the impression of doing so would allow fine tuning of art design, story-line, and the overall quality of the show along with other features such as sound tracks, etc?

Quadruple

Smash Rookie
NNID
QuadrupleJMC
Short answer: No

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

But seriously, having another week of time wouldn't benefit anyone. The fans (especially in Japan with the otakus and NEETs) would get impatient only to watch another 15 mins of a show.

The animators will get even more overworked than they are now (and their wage right now is ~11 hours of work a day for $1,000 a month: http://kotaku.com/the-average-anime-salary-in-japan-is-shockingly-low-1700892325). The morale would go down, and thus, a decrease of quality.

Also, fine tuning a story is very hard to do when making a manga adaptatiom, since there is not much to work with. You can't change the story since the viewers expect the show to be an animation of a manga. Nor can you really fine tune an art style (although you can just throw art style out the window, like Jitsu wa Watashi wa, but that will only go bad with the audience and their expectations.)

Finally, not all shows need fine tuning to be good. Look at Gintama. A weekly shounen show that is very shounen-esque, what with the low budget animation, cliche plot, sub-par sound track, and other stuff I can't mention off the top of my head. However, Gintama is one of my favorite shows, making me crack up on numerous occasions.

For anime, it's neither just quality nor quantity. It's the mixture of both that makes an anime "good" and "reasonable."

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Normally, I'd rather prefer to watch anime that is released weekly. However I have experienced watching shows that don't air weekly. I've followed Sailor Moon Crystal and that anime was released every 2 weeks but it was still a regular 24 minute episode or so. It wasn't that bad waiting every 2 weeks for it and I still enjoyed it. Then there's Katanagatari which aired once a month and that was actually 50 minutes per episode and in my opinion definitely worth the wait.

So to really answer your question, I wouldn't mind waiting 2 weeks for anime episodes for higher quality animation and what not.

Top Bottom