• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

And another thread talking about cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've been thinking about what character were cut last time. I know that looking for patterns is no garuntee they'll be followed but thinking about them might give us some insight.

Dr. Mario: Apparently he was made after the awesome Fever remix when they were padding the roster. His loss was logical.
Young Link: Was replaced by Toon Link. Not much else to say.
Pichu: He was a weak light clone of an already weak, light character. With a self damage gimmick. Someone didn't think that one through.
Roy: Only clone to be dropped that wasn't an actual different version of a playable character (Young version of Pikachu/Link, Mario in a lab coat), Roy was dropped in favor of Ike's heavy hitting style.
Mewtwo: the only non-clone to be dropped. His moves and attributes were lacking and consistently ranked bottom on tier lists. After his exclusion he shot up the tier list because... the people who made them felt bad for it? "Replaced" by Lucario, Generation 4's cool, bipedal Pokemon.

Post your counter points and add any arguments.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
UNDER CONSTUCTION

So with this in mind, what does this mean for Brawl's cast?
Sakurai confirmed there would be cuts, noting that it was very hard for him to do, knowing how even unpopular characters have fans.

The ones confirmed to return for Smash 4 are Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Fox, Kirby, Pikachu, Bowser and Pit. 7 of the original 8 and one from Melee and Brawl each. What are the chances of the rest?

So let's go through them one by one, game by game.

[COLLAPSE=Original leftovers]
Yoshi: The only one of the original 8 not confirmed but don't take this as a sign against him. He was likelyleft out so that there wasn't too much Mario stuff what with Mario, Donkey Kong and Bowser already there.
Luigi: Luigi has always been an unlockable so his return may take some time but will happen.
Jigglypuff: Similar but more uncertain to Luigi. Jigglypuff is not as popular as it was but she(?) has seniority and still is a force to be reckoned with. As long as the Rest is de-nerfed.
Captain Falcon: There's been no F-Zero game since the last Smash Bros but Captain Falcon has been more closely linked to this series rather than his own.
Ness: The Mother Series has officially ended but has a close link to the Smash Bros series and a WiiU re-release. Some worry has come with Ness and Lucas's similarity and if one of them would be dropped. I honestly don't know which one would be kept if that was the case.
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE=Melee Veterans]
Peach:
Zelda:
Sheik:
Ice Climbers:
Marth:
Falco
Ganondorf:
Mr. Game and Watch:
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE=Melee Rejects]
Dr. Mario:
Young Link:
Pichu:
Roy:
Mewtwo:

[COLLAPSE=Brawl Cast]
Wario:
Meta Knight:
Pit:
Zero Suit Samus:
Ike:
Diddy Kong:
Pokemon Trainer:
Lucas:
King Dedede:
Olimar:
Lucario:
ROB:
Lucario
Wolf:
Solid Snake:
Sonic the Hedgehog:
[/COLLAPSE]

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Mewtwo: the only non-clone to be dropped. His moves and attributes were lacking and consistently ranked bottom on tier lists. After his exclusion he shot up the tier list because... the people who made them felt bad for it? "Replaced" by Lucario, Generation 4's cool, bipedal Pokemon.
As if Mewtwo's absence from Brawl had anything to do with his placement on competitive tier lists that Sakurai could care less about?

This seems like just another anti-support topic that'll get locked soon.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Can we please stop with these stupid "lets cut some characters" threads? It's getting kinda silly now. Let's just wait and see what Sakurai is going to do instead of trying to predict what is going on in his head and who he decides to leave out.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's not an anti characters thread, I'm trying to look into it and be objective. I just need some help with more points.

Give me enough time and I'll get round to why Mewtwo should come back.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think I need to explain this, but anti-support threads are a flame war threat, regardless of their intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom