• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Introduction to Conditioning

Novaseer

Smash Cadet
Most agree Marth is a mid-tier character in Smash 4. He lacks the tools that make top tiers great such as Sonic's rushdown or the ability to camp with needles. Instead Marth adopts close-quarters combat which puts him in constant danger of retaliation. On top of this, Marth possesses next to zero practical combos and relies on risks to win the damage race. However, through smart option selection and psychology Marth can minimize his risks and land the big attacks he needs for the KO. This guide will explain how to utilize safe pressure, how to condition the opponent into a guessing game, and how to exploit their doubt to your advantage.

Marth's Safe Offensive Tools

Risky moves are risky because they lose to more options than they beat. At the beginning of a new match, when you know nothing about your opponent's tendencies, you must assume the enemy is capable of anything. Since risky moves fail against the majority of anything, starting off with low-commitment attacks will grant greater success. Tournament player Emblem Lord has compiled a list of Marth's safest options:
  • Jab
  • D-tilt
  • Fast-fall landing N-air
  • Full-jump rising F-air
Each of these moves offer their own pros and cons. Rising F-air is the only one that can be done immediately out of dash, but whiffs against short character like Kirby, and faster characters like Captain Falcon can punish the landing. Jab and D-tilt require a slower approach to get in range, but they work against all characters and they don't require a retreat on block, allowing Marth to keep the space he's gained. N-air grants the flexible mobility of a short hop, but it's the most delayed option as it requires Marth to hover in mid-air beforehand. All these options require proper spacing on Marth's part, with a tipper hit offering the most safety.

Pressure and Conditioning

With a tool chosen, it's time to attack and gauge the outcome. Did it hit? Then do it again until it stops working. Don't worry if the tactic makes you a scrub. "The first step in becoming a top player is the realization that playing to win means doing whatever most increases your chances of winning," says game designer David Sirlin.

Most opponents will learn to counter your tactic by the second or third repetition. The most common response is to shield as soon as you're in range for your attack. With rising F-air I've trained opponents into the habit of shielding whenever they saw me dash toward them. Because habits are predictable, they are also exploitable. This is the point where you switch to the move that counters their reaction. Against shielding, start grabbing. Repetition is key here. Don't be afraid of being predictable. It's worth letting the opponent get a couple of reads, as their underestimation of you will become their downfall later.

After a couple grabs the opponent will learn they need a new counter-measure. Perhaps they'll use F-tilt or jabs to stop your grab attempts. Marth's special attribute is his a sword. His long disjointed hitboxes beat most characters' short limbs, which means the first tactic you'd been using (say rising F-air) now works again. You switch to F-air, the opponent goes back to shielding, so you use grab, they jab, you F-air again, ad infinitum. The conditioning becomes complete and your opponent now expects one of two options from Marth and has to guess ahead of time which one to counter. So far we've created a 50/50 scenario in which neither of the two fighters have the advantage. However, we've now created the ideal situation for defeating the enemy.

Capitalizing on the Situation

Marth has three main powerful attacks that are also risky, his smash attacks. Each of them beat a particular option (F-smash outreaches short attacks, D-smash beats inward rolls, U-smash defeats hi jumps), but they all lose to a plethora of other options (dodges, fast attacks, shield, etc.). At the beginning of the match the opponent could have done anything and these smash attacks had maybe a 10% chance of succeeding. But now we've created a predictable situation where the opponent will always shield or jab. The jab loses to F-smash, meaning our risky attack now has a 50% chance of hitting. The F-smash's great power skews the risk vs. reward in your favor on this coin toss and may cinch the kill after racking up percent all this time.

Whether the F-smash lands or fails, the mere threat of it now changes the situation. The opponent will refuse participation in a stacked guessing game rewarding their death, so they'll likely add their own new moves to fundamentally change the situation. Perhaps instead of shielding the rising F-air, he'll shield or roll, forcing another guess on top of guessing to grab. At this point you might never get to force the same 50/50 situation again, but you can still use safe attacks to cover several of your opponents options, forcing him to give up a few, and thus raising the chances of your riskier power moves.

Conclusion

General fighting game advice says the more unpredictable you are, the better. If the opponent can't guess what you'll do, then how can they defend against it? Smash bros. works a bit differently though, as the nature of the percent system requires a hard read with a risky attack if you hope to end a stock early. If you're 100% random, then the chances of landing a smash attack remains low, prolonging the stock and giving the opponent more chances to return from behind. However, by adding a little predictability to your own patterns, it's possible to condition the opponent into becoming predictable themselves, thus improving your own chances for a successful smash attack.

Works Cited​
Emblem Lord. "Re: Promotion to Great Lord - Marth Strategy Notes." Smashboards. Smashboards, n.d.
Web. 21 Dec. 2014.​
Sirlin, David. "Introducing...the Scrub." Playing to Win. North Carolina: Raleigh, 2006. N. pag.
Sirlin.net: Sirlin on Game Design. Web. 27 Dec. 2014.
P.S. I only wrote this thread as a paper essay for practice (I'll be going back to school after a two-year hiatus). Critiques on the style/formatting or content are both welcome.

Last edited:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
First off, welcome to SmashBoards dude xD Conditioning a player is certainly an interesting topic, and from what I read it was pretty good overall. Considering the work you went into with citing and stuff, I'll critique it both by uni essay mindset and by a Smash player mindset.

Essay critique:
In terms of an essay, the way the paragraphs are broken down is key, especially depending on the professor's preferred citing style. It looks like you went for MLA style citing, and for the most part it looks correct to me in terms of just citation. Though you may want to pay attention to when you listed the Marth's safest moves, as in terms of presentation, it would be better to indent them if you are going for bullet points. If you do that, citing Emblem Lord should be as you've done it, though I'd recommend a sentence to introduce the bullet points and stick in Emblem Lord's name there so you don't need to do the parenthesis citation at the end (as I'm a little unsure of how that citation really works for bullet points).

eg.
Emblem Lord explores a number of safe options, which include:
. . .​

Moving right along, there are a number of short paragraphs you could stand to put together instead of separate. An essay after all, is broken up into the introduction, 2 - 3 body paragraphs (this is ignoring post grad level essays/thesis, that go much higher than that), and one conclusion. If they are pretaining to a single idea, it is better off in a single paragraph, though the problem lies in the points you have made mostly make 1 paragraph, or a number of them needs to be expanded upon greatly to constitute its own point. Like if we were to break down the points based on what you've written as your thesis:

Body 1 - Risk vs Reward

Body 2 - Conditioning the player

Body 3 - Using the tug of war to throw in riskier moves
Under each of those headings, you would need at least 3 points to expand upon under each heading to make each part worthwhile. Its a brainstorming process, and as much as I usually don't like doing it, its really key to writing a great essay paper no matter the subject. I'll talk more on what you could add over on the Smash player critique section xD

Oh, a small nitpick here, but this sentence:
". . . let's say, 9 out of 10 of the opponent's possible options--a 10% chance of success."​

is a bit redundant xD You'll need to be careful that you don't repeat the idea unless referencing it to another idea, especially within the same sentence. Also, you may want to consider how you break up certain sentences like this one:

"The next step is much like the first: keep doing what you're doing, in this case, grabbing. Don't be afraid of being predictable."
The former may need to be rewritten, since the usage of the colon is a bit too sudden I think. A semi colon may serve this sentence better, but even then the first part of that sentence I feel could use some lengthening (I say that as the way you used it I'm not too familiar with, so I can't say is is 100% incorrect). Also, the latter part of the sentence is rather short too, but you may want to check with your professors if this is ok to do, as some may be just fine with it, while others will throw a nitpicky hissy fit over it. To be safe, I would recommend not leaving a sentence that short though.

From those points you would need to write a conclusion that will sum up everything you've written, and you slowly go towards concluding thoughts based on the info you've written on (avoid adding any new ideas in the conclusion btw). Also, you will have to choose if you will want the indented or block paragraph breaking styles (which it seems you prefer the block paragraph style), though keep in mind that your professors may ask for one or the other.

Smash player critique:
Conditioning is a really important tactic for any player to use. Getting your opponents to act as you want them to is a great way to maintain control over the match (which both Marth and Lucina need greatly). The conditioning you've written on covers a general aspects of it, but every character has different perks that will certainly add more complexity to their conditioning. Like Rising FAirs won't work on those fast enough to catch you after blocking the initial hit, or your opponent may try to outspace your poking with some of their own. It would be a good subtopic to explore, as knowledge of your opponent's character and playstyle also come into play when trying to condition them a certain way.

Perhaps exploring more of the riskier options would also help, since just offhandedly mentioning them will leave people with questions on what riskier moves are used where. The way you wrote it is more of an example of conditioning, but I'm sure you recognize that there is more to it than just that. Of course, the purpose of your essay is to teach people how to condition, so you don't need to go very in depth about every single option.

One other thing we should consider is the conditioning done to yourself and how players should deal with it. You mentioned it as a tug of war, but it would be good to know how exactly a player can recognize that they are being conditioned and how to break out of it. Mixing up your options is usually good for this, but you've already mentioned it in a sense by telling people to use something else once one thing has stopped working. Big thing people need to recognize is that repeated usage of one move can actually be conditioning on your opponent's part, and constant readjusting will occur throughout the match. All of those safe options should be understood well and used to varying degrees based on your own playstyle and how that reflects on your opponent's playstyle.

Anyways dude, that's all I've got for now. I hope this helps ya out, especially with returning to school and all ^^

Last edited:

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
Very nice I like it

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
One of your "their"s is spelled like "there." One of your "rolls" is spelled like "roles." Thanks for making this. Well written.

One thing that is perfect for conditioning and mind games is shield breaker. If I find my opponent shielding (something I try to condition them to do like you mentioned) it's almost my automatic response to try to break that shield. They get really scared after this and then I get free hits because of their reluctancy to shield thereafter.

If I break that shield they likely die because I'm sure you have noticed how super early the full charged tipper kills.

Top Bottom