• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Idea I Had.... The Smash Tracker

Would this be a cool thing that you would use?

• Yes

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Maybe, see response in thread.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something like this already exists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

themickeynick

Smash Rookie
NNID
themickeynick
A couple of weeks ago I had an idea. This idea is to create a Smash Brothers Statistics tracker. I've already started setting up the initial designs for how the database and some of how tracking the stats will work. Let's go over how I'll accomplish this.

Backend Setup
First, let's look at how I'm going to accomplish this. I will be using a Ruby on Rails with a MySQL database. I will present this with HTML5 and CSS3. I have designed the database around the user and have somewhat of an idea where I'm going with this. This is to make sure the code makes sense and follows a smart path. I will be using Microsoft's TrueSkill to determine who has the truest skills of all. TrueSkill is based off a normal distribution graph and Bayesian statistics where it has a mu(average mean) and sigma(standard deviation) that allows us to determine after about 3 matches where people are lying in terms of skill. The following picture I will describe below. I will attempt to build it in such a way that it is easy to build an API based on this for external sites to use.

Database ERD:

Involving the community
I want this to be a community effort, where we are all submitting our stats through the organizers and tournaments we invest so much time in. So to do this I have setup players in a very specific way. First of all here is how the structure of administration will go SuperAdmin(Me) > Admins > Organizers > Players/Users > Non-User. Non-users will have the ability to sign up for the site and look up communities to join, compare players, and view upcoming tourneys. Players can do all that and look up personal stats, customize account and attache VODs onto their matches. Organizers are able to do that and more. They are able to add their tourneys to the listings(with challonge brackets or by uploading Tio later on), create Smash IDs, organize their community through the page, and possibly more(I have more ideas, just need to see if they are viable). Admins will control the goings on of the site making sure that users are using it appropriately and aren't trying to destroy the site. And I can control everything.
The regions will be changing to Country and States/Provinces.

Let's go over how this'll work in tourneys
So this is how I'm picturing this. A tourney will be setup with a bunch of brackets, at least one for like Melee and Smash. They will setup the tournament, add the games they are playing and then provide a bracket, or select Tio to upload later. This makes sure we can go to one place for the tournaments and see the various brackets.

So if this becomes a thing, How can I be an organizer or get a Smash ID without an organizer/organization near me
So to become an organizer, you must sign up for the site without or with a smash ID and then request to become an organizer. Those users without a smash ID will not be able to see stats since they will not have an ID to associate themselves with, but if they request to become an organizer, they will receive one automatically. If you don't have an organization that's in a convenient location, then there will be a special form for you to sign up with that will be reviewed automatically to ensure that there are no duplicates of you in the system and then we can go from there.

What are your thoughts? What can I do to make this a product that someone will use? Ask your questions below and I'll do my best to answer!

Last edited:
Top Bottom