• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An idea i had for the opening.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I still find some of the character choices as not being "good enough". Heihachi was a logical choice since Tekken was exclusive to the PS and arcades for years. All the other third parties didn't scream Playstation to me. Also, the roster was desperately lacking in Crash, Spyro, and Cloud, but those might've been incredibly hard to get.

Anyway, I thought the opening was pretty good with the effects, but it seemed... kind of off. While I do like that they had characters fighting each other by pairing them up, I didn't like that it was in the midst of blue, pretty strokes and a black background. Felt like they could've gone for more. That being said, it's definitely something I don't think Nintendo would do so that's a plus on their part.

And I'm still iffy on unlockable characters in this day and age.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I still find some of the character choices as not being "good enough". Heihachi was a logical choice since Tekken was exclusive to the PS and arcades for years. All the other third parties didn't scream Playstation to me. Also, the roster was desperately lacking in Crash, Spyro, and Cloud, but those might've been incredibly hard to get.

Anyway, I thought the opening was pretty good with the effects, but it seemed... kind of off. While I do like that they had characters fighting each other by pairing them up, I didn't like that it was in the midst of blue, pretty strokes and a black background. Felt like they could've gone for more. That being said, it's definitely something I don't think Nintendo would do so that's a plus on their part.

And I'm still iffy on unlockable characters in this day and age.
Im not saying something that has to be just like it. (Also, the background and smoke effects are something that represents the PS3)

I'm saying something that could be animated just as well. If not better. (in a faster pace)

So they would fight in a place that could represent the Wii U and 3DS. (The place in the opening i posted, once again, represents the PS3)

Also, unlockable characters was just something i threw in there since im expecting it to happen in SSB4.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I wouldn't mind them going for a Street Fighter IV/x Tekken styled intro. Only showcase a few of the major characters, probably the most recognisable veterans and the most hyped newcomers, and spend time actually focusing on them, as opposed to SSBM's quick snapshots of each character just doing their own thing like the old Street Fighter Alpha intros. Heck, even something like Dissidia 012's intro could work, although that'd require rivalries.

If the series was aimed at an older target audience I wouldn't mind something like Mortal Kombat Armageddon's intro; just all the characters fighting one another in one place.

I'm not that bothered about there being hidden characters in the next Smash, even though its pretty much guaranteed that there will be, I'd just sooner them not announce a few of them beforehand.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I also wouldn't mind seeing a scene, near the end of the opening, where the third party characters (if there is any) fighting each other in a ramndom area during the cinematic.

@Jimnymebob I agree with you on the hidden characters. And a Dissidia 012 style opening would be pretty epic.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah Brawl's opening had an epic soundtrack but the scenes were random, even if good.
PSABR has amazing cinematics but the music is ****.

Reyson

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure most of the Brawl intro is CGI aswell. I don't see the benefit of having "this but for Nintendo" when "this" is just characters fighting on an undetailed map. I always loved the fact that the intros to Smash showed the characters in their own worlds and then have them cross over.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
As long as they put a scene reminiscent to DK getting his belly zapped by some random electric ball, I'd be happy.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Pretty much this. (Although, i liked the song)
Yeah well I didn't express right.
The music is fine, I mean it's decent.
What I wanted to say is that it doesn't fit at all with the game, with any game.
Still better than Assassin's Creed III's ad anyway.

I'm pretty sure most of the Brawl intro is CGI aswell. I don't see the benefit of having "this but for Nintendo" when "this" is just characters fighting on an undetailed map. I always loved the fact that the intros to Smash showed the characters in their own worlds and then have them cross over.
Yeah it's CGI, the point is that they're mostly scenes taken from the Subspace Emissary. Which were awesome don't get me wrong, but not having original scenes for the OPENING of the game was kinda lame. Melee's one was better, but the orchestra for Brawl was just epic. I hove Sm4sh gets a mix of the two: epic soundtrack + original cutscenes.

As long as they put a scene reminiscent to DK getting his belly zapped by some random electric ball, I'd be happy.
LOL it's true, I didn't notice that. Also, what the hell was that thing in Melee? Never understood it.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
They could still do something that involves the other franchise's stages like a scene where Yoshi is fighting Diddy kong on Yoshi's Island and then it transitions to Link and Zelda/Shiek fighting Ganondorf on the Zelda stage. it doesn't have to be a random undetailed stage. (Go with a Dissidia 012 style opening with an amazing song) The final battle could be Master Hand about to face off against Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby

A scene where Pikachu uses volt tackle on DK. :troll:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
To be sure an endearing quality of Smash has always been the introduction, but I don't think I'd like it like the PSAS intro. The introduction of previous Smash games take on a role similar to the function of silent protagonist, to allow you to fill in the shoes and the blank with things of your own design. The Smash intros have given an image of a grander scale, while it feels the PSAS intro is more personally based. In Smash 64 the first image is a child's room, the fighters are playthings from a toybox, the stage is a simple table with a pencil holder, desk lamp, tissue box, and the like, and there is a hand. The focus of these first few moments is the creation, wrought by 'master hand', who in the most literal and proper interpretation is just a powerful flying hand entity, yet it could be anything. When I was young I thought little of it, it was simply the Master Hand, nothing more, yet later a friend of mine, an English major, proposed to me an interpretation, and then a thesis.
Smash is a game played by a child in his room, making believe grand battles. Smash is a story about a good spirited and powerful multiversal being, who bridges the gaps of reality for the sake of a story, challenge, or glory. Smash is about that kid who is happily playing toys, when the jerk neighbor boy comes over and decides to use his hand against your toys.
Smash is about anything.
Melee, the first image, a human hand, not Master Hand, grabbing Mario in trophy form. After the trophy becomes animated we see Link, opposed to Mario, almost immediately Pikachu and Kirby coming in aerially, the image shatters. The middle sequence is the character's backgrounds, very similar to Smash 64's middle scene. Next is very important, the characters are gathered, ending the scene with an open sense of what is to happen next, you fill that gap.
I didn't like Brawl's introduction as much, many of the scenes where part of the already set SSE story, stealing slightly from that thrill of unknown. There are a few redeeming factors though. The World of Trophies is still undefined and there is still mystery, but much less so now, there is a binding factor, it is very difficult to transfer from the literal to the figurative with all this new knowledge of Master Hand and the world he has.
Most of the introductions have very few scenes of the fight being main focus.

What would I want? I want the unknown, the exciting, the epic, the thrill, Brawl and PSAS introductions just didn't carry those for me anywhere near as the other two did. These are the elements that set them far apart for me, I don't want a 'yeah let's do this fighting!' sort of thing with PSAS, I don't want SSE clips with Brawl, I want my head to spin and my heart to pound.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
@hypercat LOL I knew someone would mention SC2's opening. It is the best opening in a video game in my opinion.

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
When I say PSASBR new trailer, I got super hyped. It made me feel excited and pumped to play the game im about to play. It worked. I agree that smash needs something jaw dropping like melee's and PSASBR'sopening was.

Also, whats everyone's opinion on the intense battle opera that brawl had? It made me feel like the game was a stage play. Is anyone else feel that intense battle opera is being way overused lately? I dont have any proof, but do you feel that way? Im totally open for music that something new and surprising.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
When I say PSASBR new trailer, I got super hyped. It made me feel excited and pumped to play the game im about to play. It worked. I agree that smash needs something jaw dropping like melee's and PSASBR'sopening was.

Also, whats everyone's opinion on the intense battle opera that brawl had? It made me feel like the game was a stage play. Is anyone else feel that intense battle opera is being way overused lately? I dont have any proof, but do you feel that way? Im totally open for music that something new and surprising.
Being a Catholic with a singing voice gives me a natural affection for Latin and epic music, and I loved Brawl's main theme, I just didn't like the gosh darn intro. Pshaw, I guess PSASBR's intro was good now that I got out of my literary head, but I still like Melee's and 64's better (Melee far above). Also, apostrophes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

I'm not sure you would call it opera, but I thought the song itself was great, but the problem is that the intro sucked and they made WAY too many remixes of it.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Being a Catholic with a singing voice gives me a natural affection for Latin and epic music, and I loved Brawl's main theme, I just didn't like the gosh darn intro. Pshaw, I guess PSASBR's intro was good now that I got out of my literary head, but I still like Melee's and 64's better (Melee far above). Also, apostrophes.
I see you point. I guess they chossed Latin to make it international, and it sounded as great as the Death Note theme when...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYNft6tYgx4&t=9m00s
But SSB Melee had better images.
I hope the next one will be like the best of both them.

Top Bottom