• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An Analysis on the Character Updates + Approximation on the Total Character Count

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
There are other ways to get Mewtwo and Game and Watch than playing 200 hours. You could probably unlock every char in 10-15 hours.
Done it before, wasn't hard.

Sakurai himself said he was hoping for at least 40 characters in the game. With 19 confirmed characters right now(im including metaknight and snake), that's 19 characters so far. To be on the safe side let's assume Ganon, Iceys, G&W, and Falco, Sheik, Falcon, Mewtwo, Jiggly, Luigi, and Ness, are staying. That's 29 characters. That means 11 characters yet to be confirmed. If you ask me that sounds pretty wicked.

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord

Sakurai himself said he was hoping for at least 40 characters in the game. With 19 confirmed characters right now(im including metaknight and snake), that's 19 characters so far. To be on the safe side let's assume Ganon, Iceys, G&W, and Falco, Sheik, Falcon, Mewtwo, Jiggly, Luigi, and Ness, are staying. That's 29 characters. That means 11 characters yet to be confirmed. If you ask me that sounds pretty wicked.
Sakurai said a lot of things. I'm hoping for 50 characters, doens't mean it's gonna happen.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord

I would like to know when and where he said that. Link please.

Inkslinger

Smash Ace
Sakurai actually mentioned he wanted to double the roster of melee, thus 50 characters, but also found 40-45 more probable. The direct quote is old (months after the first trailer i believe), but i'm sure it can found

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They said they'd add less characters to this than Melee so I think around 34 is a perfect estimate...It was mine but based off other evidence...

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
in ssb to melee the roster adds about 12 so im gonna say the same for this which is 37. im fine with 34 because there is alot of other things on this disc. with the bigger more adventure like adventure mode and who knows what other modes. yeah the disc is bigger but anything around 34-37 I think is an ok number.

I think Sakurai will show all the starting characters first. he will show the unlockable ones a little later just before the release. I dont think he will spoil them. so he will put them on the dojo but block them out so we cant see who it is unless we want to.thus we can know tht number of characters without actually having to know who it is.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Actually there were only 20 movesets in Melee, although there was 26 characters. Clones shouldn't count in the total roster production time, because of how fast the clones are produced, rate the number of characters by how many movesets there are.
That means there were 9 additions to Melee from Smash64.

I would expect around 15 additional movesets added to Brawl from Melee, which puts the number at 35. Of course, Sakurai will not release it unfinished, so if he wanted 20 additional, I wouldn't doubt that either. That puts the roster to 40, not counting if he adds clones. I'd say that's a pretty darn fine number.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
You are forgetting that Sakurai was rushed last time so that he could make the launch of the gamecube. Now, he was given as much time as he needed to make a perfect game.

This may be weird to say, but I would rather him had worked on more playable characters than adding a full single player. I would've been happy even without it. I won't be happy if the roster is really small.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
And anyways He can always have downloadable content
Possible and I hope!

Yes because the Wii had such a big storage space like the PS3 :/ Sorry I don't think it's going to happen.
IyourO...but it can be done just fine...

They said they'd add less characters to this than Melee so I think around 34 is a perfect estimate...It was mine but based off other evidence...
Not "less" characters. It was stated more along the lines of regarding to proportions. In a sense that they wouldn't go for over a ridiculous 100% increase like form 64 TO melee. They very well could add "as many" characters

Sakurai actually mentioned he wanted to double the roster of melee, thus 50 characters, but also found 40-45 more probable. The direct quote is old (months after the first trailer i believe), but i'm sure it can found
He didn't want to "double" the roster, just not as great an increase (see above^) but doubling from the # after the elimination of those not-returners would probably be more accurate. So chances are more aroung 40 to 48 yes.

in ssb to melee the roster adds aboutI think Sakurai will show all the starting characters first. he will show the unlockable ones a little later just before the release. I dont think he will spoil them. so he will put them on the dojo but block them out so we cant see who it is unless we want to.thus we can know tht number of characters without actually having to know who it is.
Yes, censord would bay noice...never thought a thut. o_0

Actually there were only 20 movesets in Melee, although there was 26 characters. Clones shouldn't count in the total roster production time, because of how fast the clones are produced, rate the number of characters by how many movesets there are.
That means there were 9 additions to Melee from Smash64.

I would expect around 15 additional movesets added to Brawl from Melee, which puts the number at 35. Of course, Sakurai will not release it unfinished, so if he wanted 20 additional, I wouldn't doubt that either. That puts the roster to 40, not counting if he adds clones. I'd say that's a pretty darn fine number.
it's a good number yes, no clones, 40 or more. They could push the envelope a little considering below\/

You are forgetting that Sakurai was rushed last time so that he could make the launch of the gamecube. Now, he was given as much time as he needed to make a perfect game.

This may be weird to say, but I would rather him had worked on more playable characters than adding a full single player. I would've been happy even without it. I won't be happy if the roster is really small.
Yes, don't worry, single player will be great...the multi player didn't need much for altering really...just new things to add and change. Same process of creating it as melee so no big deal really...

dan smith

Smash Champion
I don't really agree with that number of characters, because some people will be disappointed. Sakurai wants to make this the best smash ever, since he says it's the last. This means he wants to satisfy as many people as possible. This is my predictions for the final roster from my old thread (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=106023)

This was, a great number of franchises are represented, a good number of the characters on the poll are fighters, and most people will be happy. Sorry, no Lucario, Toad, Petey, Bowser Jr, etc. If you don't count Sheik and Zamus as their own characters, that is 43 characters. This is a very believeable number. I think Sakurai has the resources to complete this roster, and will do it to create one of the most robust fighters ever.
Ness out? He's one of the original 12. I both hope and think he will remain. If he is removed however, why would Sheik make the list? A character from OoT who is essentially one of Zelda's special moves. Zelda who is no longer going to be OoT Zelda. There is no Sheik in Twilight Princess, how would Zelda transform into her?

Had to throw that out there.

Hoping for 40+ characters...including Ness...

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
Let's see, we have 17 characters so far.
Luigi, Ness, Ganondorf, and Captain Falcon will be confirmed by October.
Up to 21.
Add Jigglypuff, Metaknight, and Snake.
Add Dedede, Ridley, Krystal, Olimar, Lucario, WW Link, Sonic.
Now for the controversy.
Mewtwo, Wolf, Bomberman, Bowser Jr., Wolf Link&Midna, Paper Mario.
Something's missing here...
Fire Emblem Character, Retro Character 1, Retro Character 2.
For fruther improvement:
Falco, Ice Climbers.
PERFECT.

Snap

Smash Ace
I personally think there will be an even number of characters because an odd number would be harder to place nicely on the screen

Keku

Smash Apprentice
I personally think there will be an even number of characters because an odd number would be harder to place nicely on the screen
I don't really think that's the first thing to pop into the developers' minds when thinking of designing characters. They'll make the number of characters that fits them the best and think about fitting them nicely on the screen later. For example, if you had three rows of 8 characters, and one row of just 7 characters, you could just set the lowest row in the middle, leaving two empty half-character-squares on each side.Problem solved.

Trust me, that assumption was quite far-fetched.

Top Bottom