• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Am I the only one who find the 3DS version... satisfying?

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
I'm more accustomed to the 3DS version as I tend to play that more than I do my Wii U. Plus as someone who grew up with Kirby Air Ride and it's "City Trial" mode, Smash Run holds limitless appeal for me whereas I still haven't played on all 3 maps of Smash Tour even though I've had my Wii U since Christmas.

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
I agree fully. It's weird to explain, but on the 3DS it just feels more..better. My win rate is higher on the 3ds version, and that's why I always use my 3ds as a controller. Well, at least till I get a GC adapter.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
I can't explain it. But compared to the Wii U version, there's something satisfying with it, not sure if it's the smaller screen (which would be weird, I like big screens and good graphics), if it's the controls - I don't know. It's the experience.

Maybe it's the fact that there's no HUD in the screen where the action happens, which makes it feel more... I don't know, directly? Eh, I don't know how to explain it. I'm just wondering if someone feels the same. I prefer the Wii U version, because of better controls and better graphics, but there's something about the 3DS version that I find very satisfying while playing compared to the Wii U version.
With the 3DS version, the game was cheaper and 3D. You satisfaction is coming from having bought the game so much cheaper and still in 3D hehe

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
What I like about the 3DS version, and also what makes me prefer it over the Wii U version, is the convenience. To play the Wii U version I have to go to the living room, turn on the television, turn on the Wii U, pick up the Gamepad, boot the game (for some reason, it takes longer than it should to boot) and then play.

To play Smash 3DS, all I need to do is open the 3DS and play, because thanks to sleep mode, I don't need to close the game/turn off the system. I can't even remember the last time I turned off my 3DS. Plus, since the 3DS is really small, I carry it with me to a lot of places, so I can usually play one or two online matches when I am bored, then close the system, then play it again in a few hours and so it goes on.

So I love the fact Smash 3DS exists, so much that people saying it shouldn't have been developed/it is/was a waste of resources used to truly annoy me. The 3DS version might not be useful for le competitive tournament players, but for a lot of others it's really great (otherwise, the online would be dead by now, but it isn't). Personally, I have 3x more time clocked on said version if compared to Smash Wii U and I doubt I would have played Smash 4 as much I have so far if the 3DS version wasn't a thing.

Soul.

Like many others, I wouldn't have been playing Smash 4 so much if it wasn't for the 3DS having a steady install base and good enough specs to run Smash. Having Smash in your handheld was long overdue, and even if the Circle Pad may be seen as a nuisance it's more than enough to play the game if you don't break the grip with say, a coin. Even to this day, I still prefer it over the Wii U version because what's not to love about playing Smash anywhere, or instead of turning on your Wii U you can turn on your 3DS and play pretty much the same game.

I'm pretty sure that because of its install base, a small competitive scene may see the light. Unless of course, more people play the 3DS version 'competitively,' which would then increase the number of players in that scene. That's if people were to give it a try instead of ignoring, hating, or what have you. Being unable to run technically demanding characters was a hard task, but it is what it is. It would have been possible if the thing had better specs; the New 3DS is only slightly powerful than the 3DS itself.

I've said before that the Wii U version is a good game, yes, that much is true, but I don't think hating the existence of the 3DS version solves anything when it was something people have wanted for years. Smash on a console is still tried and true, whereas having it on a handheld offers a new experience. The 3DS might have weak power, but again, it's more than enough.

In the end, it's nothing more than a preference thing; with more people having a 3DS than a Wii U, it really made sense to make Smash enter the handheld spectrum.

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I believe I've found at least one of the reasons I love it now: It's because there's no HUD. When the HUD is gone, the match feels more direct, it feels more... eh, how do I explain it? The match feels more intense and important than when the HUD is there.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Like many others, I wouldn't have been playing Smash 4 so much if it wasn't for the 3DS having a steady install base and good enough specs to run Smash. Having Smash in your handheld was long overdue, and even if the Circle Pad may be seen as a nuisance it's more than enough to play the game if you don't break the grip with say, a coin. Even to this day, I still prefer it over the Wii U version because what's not to love about playing Smash anywhere, or instead of turning on your Wii U you can turn on your 3DS and play pretty much the same game.

I'm pretty sure that because of its install base, a small competitive scene may see the light. Unless of course, more people play the 3DS version 'competitively,' which would then increase the number of players in that scene. That's if people were to give it a try instead of ignoring, hating, or what have you. Being unable to run technically demanding characters was a hard task, but it is what it is. It would have been possible if the thing had better specs; the New 3DS is only slightly powerful than the 3DS itself.

I've said before that the Wii U version is a good game, yes, that much is true, but I don't think hating the existence of the 3DS version solves anything when it was something people have wanted for years. Smash on a console is still tried and true, whereas having it on a handheld offers a new experience. The 3DS might have weak power, but again, it's more than enough.

In the end, it's nothing more than a preference thing; with more people having a 3DS than a Wii U, it really made sense to make Smash enter the handheld spectrum.
I think the point you made about the 3DS' install base is a good one. I have some friends who don't have a Wii U and seemingly aren't that much into console gaming, but do have a 3DS and picked up Smash 3DS. I've enjoyed being able to play Smash with them online, something I wouldn't have been able to do if Smash 3DS hadn't been made. That's really one of the main reasons why I continue to play Smash 3DS on a regular basis and don't consider it the inferior version or a mere demo of Smash Wii U.

Having a Smash game on a handheld also arguably helps make the series more accessible, which, from what I can tell, seems to be one of the driving forces behind a lot of Sakurai's decisions about Smash Bros. I'd be glad to see more people start playing Smash now that it's available on a system they own since that means more people to play and talk Smash with. Who knows, maybe getting new people hooked on Smash 3DS will get them interested in earlier games in the series too.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I've been trying to get back into 3DS since school's starting up next week for me. Maybe it's because I haven't played the version all summer and played Wii U the whole time, or the controls on Wii U are just far better, but 3DS is hard to get back into if you played Wii U so much. It's still a great game, but man does it feel new after playing Wii U so much.

Top Bottom