• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternates for characters (think Wario's costumes or Squirtle's shades)

TheTTimeLives

Smash Cadet
I know two threads in the same day on General Discussion. I must be crazy! These will be my only two for awhile so don't get worried guys.

While I understand that the custom content support is their for us to add our own content how we please, many of us consider what we get directly to be the "Official" version. With that said, some of the steps to make characters more lore friendly or aesthetically pleasing has got me thinking...

Why can't P:M just add something small for each character on the roster to make them more interesting? Maybe just sub a boring color for a real model swap and only in instances where it's a small enough change to not feel like your essentially creating character clones.

Examples:

Mr.L - Luigi
James McCloud - Fox
The evil Captain Falcon from Melee - Captain Falcon

or in more extreme overhauls

Dry Bones - Bowser
Dr. Mario - Mario
Young Link - Toon Link

I think you get the idea. Anyways what are your thoughts? And what would you like as a theoretical alternate in exchange for a costume?

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
The Frog/Tanuki/HammerBro suits would be pretty sweet alt. costumes for the Mario Bros.
A retro/LttP skin for Link would be nice.
Samus in her full-on Fusion suit, perhaps? (I'm pretty sure someone's done that already)

*Earthbound Spoilers!*
I think it would also be neat to see a Robot Ness alt.

Forlorn Penguin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ForlornPenguin
Dr. Mario - Mario
I still don't understand why this wasn't in vBrawl.

I think it'd be cool to have alternate costumes in P:M. I'm all for it, but it's not really a big deal to me. Balance and solid mechanics are all that I really care about.

Also, inb4 Birthday Suit Samus.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Shadow and Super Sonic for his black/yellow outfit

:phone:

prisoner

Smash Cadet
I might suggest some alternate costumes for snake:

MGS snake (twin snakes style)
MGS2 iroquois pliskin
MGS3 naked snake/big boss (with eyepatch, of course)
MGS4 old snake

I was a little surprised that they didn't have any of these alternates in vBrawl, myself... I thought it would be an obvious next step in character aesthetic. considering that sakurai spent more time making trophies and stickers than he did building the gameplay, you'd think it would top his chart!

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
vBrawl is a big letdown in the callback/canon/meaningful alternate costumes department. It seems that Wario is the only one Nintendo paid more than bare attention to.

I put Lord Ike over my default Ike; anyone who played Path of Radiance knows vBrawl's choice of outfit for Ike (or lack of having the proper one as an alternate) is dumb. It's because Ike wasn't wearing that outfit while he was wielding that sword.

Stuff I think would be great for the official PM set:

Lord Ike (Over any slot that isn't default nor team color)
Shiny Lucario (I'm not feeling the two grey-textured Lucario thing)
Headband Jigglypuff (Yeah, it's a big shame this isn't possible)
Cave Story's Quote-inspired colors for ROB

I agree, Robot Ness would be awesome.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I actually found a really nice looking set of Young Link skins for Toon Link on Brawl Vault, but it disappoints me greatly that his legs are too long, and they sink into the ground. The skin, overall, seems to be slightly too tall. It doesn't seem like the legs are too long for nair spacing though, so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. I just know he looks way bigger than Toon Link.
[collapse="Young Link"]
[/collapse]
Really wish I could use them because I pretty much despise the Toon Link art style, but the legs going into the ground messes with timing wavelands, as well as looking silly.
So instead, I use these
[collapse="LttP"]
[/collapse]
At least it reminds me of a Zelda game I like. Apples is a good man :p

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Headband Jigglypuff (Yeah, it's a big shame this isn't possible)

I agree, Robot Ness would be awesome.
Hey howdy hey!
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=20327
Obviously not in the build already. But you can still use it. I've only used the Mars recolor though. I really like it! I guess it technically has more bones but they shouldn't affect anything.
Also there's a Lord Ike on the Vault. And an even better Vanguard Ike.
Robot Ness would be epic!

:phone:

B.W.

Smash Champion
I've actually been doing personal alternate costumes for characters, making sure they all stay within the game's universe. I also don't like things that aren't perfect and I really prefer if the models are still Brawl styled and that the faces/anatomy of the character is the same as Brawl (meaning if I get Assault Fox, he still has Brawl Fox's face, feet, etc.) so this project stopped going anywhere lol.

Mario = Dr.Mario
Bowser = Dry Bowser
Ganondorf = OoT (Melee) Ganondorf (though I want Demise, the only Demise one out there looks really dumb because his pants stick to his ankles)
Zero Suit Samus = Justin Bailey (Metroid Zero Mission)
Zelda = Skyloft Zelda
Toon Link = Outset Toon Link
Marth = Awakening Marth
Ike = Vagrant Ike (hoping for an Awakening to pop up one day)
Lucas = Masked Man

Ones I want though are:
Link = Ordon Link
Fox = Assault Fox
Falco = Assault Falco
Wolf = Assault Wolf
Ness = Robot Ness or Pajama Ness (no hat, crazy hair, slippers would be cool too)
Sheik = Young Impa from Skyward Sword
Luigi = Mr. L (There are plenty that are the correct colors but not a single one has the scarf)
Pit = Classic Pit (from his original Kid Icarus design)
Dedede = Masked Dedede
Donkey Kong = Funky Kong

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Ness = Robot Ness or Pajama Ness (no hat, crazy hair, slippers would be cool too)
It would be funny if the English PM got Pajama Ness, and the Japanese got Naked Ness, which is how it was in EarthBound.

Does that Headband JPuff actually have a moving headband?

Jandlebars

Still fallin'!
Samus in her Light Suit, or Dark Suit, or <i>actual</i> Fusion Suit, Power Suit Samus, PED Samus...Even Dark Samus...

Gives me chills just thinking of the possibilities. @__@
Also, Metal Mario and different Pokemon Trainers from different Generations (if possible).

Top Bottom