• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alternate costumes and DLC.

NeroRevolver

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeroRevolver
With Zips announcing that Fierce Deity Link being one of Link's alts, I am extremely excited. More so excited than I should be, like a new character was announced or something.

Regardless, there is a lot of potential for alternate costumes and I am HOPING that every character gets at least one. If they can I would like the dev team to compensate by giving them 16 colors instead of 8, but I know that's asking a bit much for something so simple.

I want you guys to tell me and give me some ideas of alternate costumes youd like to see. BUT AS WELL--

As DLC you would like to see. Before I am crucified at least realize that DLC is a way of always supporting a game post launch. Sure its not needed but the cosmetics help give a breath of fresh air whenever it comes around. This doesnt even have to be limited to costumes or colors though. (which I personally would love to see the most considering I am happy with the existing roster)

There could be characters, stages, music tracks as well new modes that could be added.

When it comes to this what would you enjoy seeing?
----------------------​

TL;DR- What alt costumes/colors would you like to see and what kind of DLC would you buy if there was any?

RockTheCasbah

Smash Rookie
I'd like some Outset Island clothes for Toon Link, as an actual costume and not just colors based on it. Zipzo said it wasn't there when he played it. He also said this, which makes it sound like Link has three colors that are essentially the NES colors with slight variations, so I don't get it.

If not full alt costumes, some colors based on his ALttP Red and Blue Mails would be nice.

Zenitho

Smash Cadet
To be truthful, I'm willing to throw my wallet at nintendo for whatever comes as DLC

gamer8

Smash Lord
DLC alts would be great, I'm really excited for a lot of what we've heard about so far but I feel like they still missed an opportunity to put in a lot of other great costumes.

I personally just want every Yoshi color to be in, which would be 10 in total which honestly would be doable considering little mac has 16. Still not sure how I feel about that tbh when everyone else gets 8. I don't think anyone would have minded if Wireframe Mac got his default. I was also pretty excited hearing news about Dry Bowser, Mr. L and Pajama Toon Link so it's kind of disappointing they're not really in (don't know about Luigi for sure, have barely heard anything about him).

Still not really sure if we're even getting dlc though, it kind of doesn't feel like something we'd get in smash. Did KI Uprising get any dlc?

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I would have liked the following costumes, but I don't know that I'd actually PAY for all of them:
- Metal Sonic/Shadow for Sonic
- Proto Man
- Ms. Pac-Man
- Dr. Luigi & Mr. L
- Sunshine Mario (Sunglasses/weekend at bernie's style outfit)
- Outset Toon Link
- Skyward Sword Zelda, Hilda
- Medusa for Palutena
- Full Daisy alt for Peach (not a recolor)
- Dry Bowser
- Masked Dedede
- Lucas & Commercial Ninten for Ness
- Louie & Brittany for Olimar
- Justin Bailey for ZSS
- James McCloud (w/sunglasses) for Fox
- Ravio for Toon Link
- Black Shadow for C.Falcon
- Hero's Shade for Link

Most importantly, I want N64 models of all the characters. Similar to, I think it was a Virtua Fighter on PS2 or something, or how Snake or RE6 have had PS1 models. I want that, but for everyone in SSB.

RockTheCasbah

Smash Rookie
>N64 models

That's actually a pretty funny idea. I'd use that a lot. Mario would probably not look so angry all the time.

NeroRevolver

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeroRevolver
DLC alts would be great, I'm really excited for a lot of what we've heard about so far but I feel like they still missed an opportunity to put in a lot of other great costumes.

I personally just want every Yoshi color to be in, which would be 10 in total which honestly would be doable considering little mac has 16. Still not sure how I feel about that tbh when everyone else gets 8. I don't think anyone would have minded if Wireframe Mac got his default. I was also pretty excited hearing news about Dry Bowser, Mr. L and Pajama Toon Link so it's kind of disappointing they're not really in (don't know about Luigi for sure, have barely heard anything about him).

Still not really sure if we're even getting dlc though, it kind of doesn't feel like something we'd get in smash. Did KI Uprising get any dlc?
I do not think KI Uprising got any DLC, Ive been hearing rumors of a wiiu HD port though.

Yeah, Yoshi seems like they could easily throw in all the colors. They did it for Mario Kart 8, why not smash? Also, why not want Boshi? That would be a pretty sick alt for Yoshi.

But honestly, considering the support that Mario Kart 8 is getting makes me truly believe Smash will get its own handful of DLC as well. Nintendo like other company runs off money. Smash is going to be their main sale point. They are going to do SOMETHING for some quick cash and if they didnt they arent smart.

Zenitho

Smash Cadet
Nintendo DLC is DLC done right... Content created after the game is complete, not content taken from the game... Since we got Fierce Deity Link now I'm content with anything else we get

For DLC skins id want: Mr. L, Metal Sonic, Daisy, Hyrule Warriors all around... and dry bowser

Last edited:

NeroRevolver

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeroRevolver
Nintendo DLC is DLC done right... Content created after the game is complete, not content taken from the game... Since we got Fierce Deity Link now I'm content with anything else we get
Too be fair Hyrule warriors is getting like...4 sets of day one DLC lol.

But regardless I think Sakurai mentioned in an interview a while back that DLC wasnt a focus at all at this point.

NeroRevolver

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeroRevolver
I would have liked the following costumes, but I don't know that I'd actually PAY for all of them:
- Metal Sonic/Shadow for Sonic
- Proto Man
- Ms. Pac-Man
- Dr. Luigi & Mr. L
- Sunshine Mario (Sunglasses/weekend at bernie's style outfit)
- Outset Toon Link
- Skyward Sword Zelda, Hilda
- Medusa for Palutena
- Full Daisy alt for Peach (not a recolor)
- Dry Bowser
- Masked Dedede
- Lucas & Commercial Ninten for Ness
- Louie & Brittany for Olimar
- Justin Bailey for ZSS
- James McCloud (w/sunglasses) for Fox
- Ravio for Toon Link
- Black Shadow for C.Falcon
- Hero's Shade for Link

Most importantly, I want N64 models of all the characters. Similar to, I think it was a Virtua Fighter on PS2 or something, or how Snake or RE6 have had PS1 models. I want that, but for everyone in SSB.
While all good ideas, I doubt we are going to get many alts that change the model completely to other characters.

Like Daisy to Peach, Black Shadow, etc.

RockTheCasbah

Smash Rookie
I feel like they probably tried to incorporate a lot of full model alternate costumes and couldn't make the deadline so they're going to sell some as DLC. The fact that some characters have them as just one model with no alt colors, or some characters just have eight colors, and some have 16, just seems weird to me. Like the game wasn't finished in that regard since they spent time on more important things and just figured they could probably sell some of it afterward.

NeroRevolver

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeroRevolver
I feel like they probably tried to incorporate a lot of full model alternate costumes and couldn't make the deadline so they're going to sell some as DLC. The fact that some characters have them as just one model with no alt colors, or some characters just have eight colors, and some have 16, just seems weird to me. Like the game wasn't finished in that regard since they spent time on more important things and just figured they could probably sell some of it afterward.
Seems to make the most logical sense. Considering alt colors are something that isnt required. Aesthetically its really pleasing to have but we could all def pay for it later.

Im sure people wouldnt complain either, if by Nintendos MK8 DLC prices, Im sure alt costume packs would be REALLY cheap.

RockTheCasbah

Smash Rookie
I'd think Nintendo would be cool enough to release colors for free since that can be done easily, and full alt models for a price. I think that'd be pretty fair.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
As much hype as Fierce Deity Link is for me as well, I began thinking it won't be as cool if he doesn't have his sword, I've been hearing it's just a recolour like Link's Skyward sword alt.

A recolour would suggest no new model component.

bekindrewind

Smash Apprentice
With all the love for Pac-Land I'm surprised Sakurai didn't give Pac-Man his hat from the game as an alt costume.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I'm sort of surprised there isn't a Ms. Pac-Man outfit/palette swap, though maybe Nintendo didn't want to pay for both. It's a natural choice.

I'd love Generations Classic Sonic, traditional/Prime era Samus Varia Suit costume as well.

NeroRevolver

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeroRevolver
As much hype as Fierce Deity Link is for me as well, I began thinking it won't be as cool if he doesn't have his sword, I've been hearing it's just a recolour like Link's Skyward sword alt.

A recolour would suggest no new model component.
I think It could be done well depending on the amount of work put into it. Apparently the markings on his tunic are visible. The only difference really is his chain-mail and undergarments should be black while his actual tunic is a faded pale grey/blue color.

I never expected for him to have his divine curved blade as the size of it scaled down would look way worse than him using the master sword.

Zenitho

Smash Cadet
Either way, It's cool Majora's mask gets more representation.. skull kid and the moon arent enough for one of my favorite games of all time

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
:4sonic:

:rosalina:

Luma:

Also a Luigi hat too

:4bowser:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There is actually a Tumblr blog that has made N64 style models of newer characters:

Yeah some are meant to look realistic as jokes.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Classic Sonic. I'd pay up to 15 bucks for that.

Definitely a 64-bit pack.

Anything Little Mac or Megaman related.

Justin Bailey ZSS
Power Suit Samus

Costumes that represent other characters:
-Roy for Marth (big maybe)
-Wolf for Fox (if not in, I likely would)
-Krystal for Falco (would)
-Any shape or form of Young Link (most likely)

EXTRA CHARACTERS:
-All of them! Couldn't stand the thought of having an incomplete roster!

EXTRA/PAST STAGES:
-See characters.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd buy basically any kind of DLC, though I would be most interested in stage packs, costume packs, music packs, and things like that. I'd buy characters in a heartbeat, though I really feel like they should be free, as a significant balance-altering entity.

As for costumes, hooded Robin, Not Biker Wario, Blood Falcon Black Shadow for Captain Falcon, Ocarina versions of the Zelda characters, Shadow Metaknight.

RockTheCasbah

Smash Rookie
Somewhat Reasonable Possible Alts:

SNES Fox
Outset Island Link
Helmetless Mega Man
NES Pit
Powerups like Hammer Bro outfits for Mario/Luigi
Classic Varia/Power Suit for Samus
SNES Captain Falcon

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I just want to see hooded Robin and Grandmaster Robin, plus multiple hairstyles for him/her.

ArabrockermanX

Smash Journeyman
With Zips announcing that Fierce Deity Link being one of Link's alts, I am extremely excited. More so excited than I should be, like a new character was announced or something.

Regardless, there is a lot of potential for alternate costumes and I am HOPING that every character gets at least one. If they can I would like the dev team to compensate by giving them 16 colors instead of 8, but I know that's asking a bit much for something so simple.

I want you guys to tell me and give me some ideas of alternate costumes youd like to see. BUT AS WELL--

As DLC you would like to see. Before I am crucified at least realize that DLC is a way of always supporting a game post launch. Sure its not needed but the cosmetics help give a breath of fresh air whenever it comes around. This doesnt even have to be limited to costumes or colors though. (which I personally would love to see the most considering I am happy with the existing roster)

There could be characters, stages, music tracks as well new modes that could be added.

When it comes to this what would you enjoy seeing?
----------------------​
TL;DR- What alt costumes/colors would you like to see and what kind of DLC would you buy if there was any?

I'm hoping we'll get alts to complement actual character/map DLC like the MK8 deal or just part of a DLC bundle(with characters and maps).

After MK8's DLC I'm really looking forward to this game, Nintendo is doing DLC like it should be done if they keep up the MK8 way. I know its not the best deal on DLC out there but it is fair deal unlike most DLC releases these days...

ArabrockermanX

Smash Journeyman
:4sonic:

:rosalina:

Luma:

Also a Luigi hat too

:4bowser:

I think Dry Bowser should be an alt, but Cat Bowser and Cat Rosalina should be unique characters with their own move set :D .
And use a Cherry for their FS... The epicness of such a FS would surely destroy the 3DS :p

Metal Sonic would be a great candidate for a clone character but I think a lot of people would get mad if that happened...

I'm someone who would be happy with 10+ DLC characters :p .

Top Bottom