• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All Purpose Donkey Kong Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No, only in an eventual Mario and DK actual crossover. Which I hope will also happen at one point.
The crossover title has to be called “Super Mario Bros. in Donkey Kong Country”.

Playable characters: Mario, Luigi, Toad (red, blue, yellow, green, purple), Toadette, Yoshi (green, red, yellow, blue), Peach, Daisy, Pauline, Nabbit, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Donkey Kong Jr.

Villainous team-up: Bowser and King K. Rool

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The crossover title has to be called “Super Mario Bros. in Donkey Kong Country”.

Playable characters: Mario, Luigi, Toad (red, blue, yellow, green, purple), Toadette, Yoshi (green, red, yellow, blue), Peach, Daisy, Pauline, Nabbit, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Donkey Kong Jr.

Villainous team-up: Bowser and King K. Rool
It basically writes itself. Can be a sort of game similar to Mario Wonder, I loved that game.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given that we're likely going to not have an original DKC on this current system (hey prove me wrong next Direct), I'm definitely left with some bittersweet feelings towards the Switch. It's a console with some well-deserved success that really did justice to a number of great Nintendo franchises... but ultimately didn't really have a Star Fox or Country game to effectively call its own, which is a real shame. Call it petty, but not having a real new Donkey Kong game (and the reliance on ports) might be the thing that will have me rank it as the 2nd best Nintendo system behind the SNES. A wonderful system that just needed a few more franchise releases to make it the best.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With the Switch 2 rumored to be moved to March of next year (with a reveal this June?), Pokémon Legends 2 not being a holiday 2024 release, and supposedly a general Nintendo direct speculated to be coming in April, I have to admit... I think we might see some big DK news this year. Given my previous comments I didn't think I'd have that notion; it's just recent events shifted things for me.

It's probably a case of me huffing the hopium, but I believe a Donkey Kong release could pop up in one of two ways. First some sort of game being shown off for the next system, essentially being a graphics showcase (possibly another 2D game to compliment the likely 3D Mario game to come). The other possibility is (and I know this might be sheer wishcasting on my part) perhaps it's a Donkey Kong release acting as the holiday game releasing alongside a possible Prime 4. Metroid's never done quite the same numbers as other prominent franchises remember, and a major DK release could be the safer title to bolster up this likely last big Christmas for the Switch.

Furthermore, it's one of the few series that fits into the sweet spot of being big enough to do real sales for Christmas, yet not so big that Nintendo would be smarter in saving it for the next system. Mario Kart, Smash, 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, 3D Kirby, Animal Crossing, Splatoon 4, are all likely being pre-produced/worked on/polished right now, Luigi's Mansion is not getting a new game when the Dark Moon remaster is arriving soon, and 2D Mario just came out last year. As far as really notable holiday 2024 options outside DK, it's basically another Pokémon remake (which one would think they would have announced at the recent Presents) or maybe a new 2D Zelda.

Again, this could just be me seeing signs that aren't really there, grasping at straws with rumors, and ignoring the possibility that Nintendo could just release a bunch of HD ports to get good Christmas sales, but I'm more hopeful now than I was just a couple of weeks ago.

Top Bottom