• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Man's Unbeatably Fun U-Air Analysis Thread

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Not sure if this will work but, when you get launched off stage and your recovering from the bottom blast zone, if your opponent is over you, you can try U-air > Rush Coil > D-air. Someone should give it a try
That seems quite dangerous. Do you need to have your second jump available for that to work?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Hey BBC7 BBC7 , I'm pretty sure that updates did some Ninja-changes on Air Shooter. Let's look at what I've found !

• :4olimar: can now get killed by an UAir from the ground at around 140%. Weird, but it happened in training mode without needing Olimar to jump.
  • I tried it on :4mewtwo: and it worked ! Then I tried it on :4jigglypuff: and it was much, much harder. Still worked tho. I guess that UAir's KB is weight-related.
  • I proceed to test it on fast fallers. :4fox: died from the ground too, at around 160% if memory serves right. The same applies to :4falco:. I follow with :4samus:, and surprise, it worked ! Guess the falling speed has nothing to do with UAir.
  • I test it on :4mario:, and it doesn't work. What could have happened ? I tried it on :4luigi: afterwards and it worked, but Mario escaped his death, unlike :4marth: and :4sheik:.
  • I decided that :4bowser: was going to be next, since bigger hitbox = easier to see what's going on. He gets hit, carried up, then falls after getting that 20%. That's when I notice something (at last, should I say) : Bowser's head was inside the Air Shooter. His whole body was already in there, but as the projectile rose, Bowser's body was being completely engulfed, to the point that his head was under the tornado's top. I decide to try it again and to UAir him again while he is in the air, and the hitboxes kept pushing him upwards to the point where he was still over the tornado when it dissapeared. Joy !

This was a long path, but it explains why Jiggs kept living while Mewtwo didn't.

And for Mario you ask ? Well, the fun thing is that after he takes a hit, his body flips over, which makes his hurtbox go into the tornado. This is pretty huge in my opinion. I would have never thought that it would be so simple.
All the projectile's hitboxes lack knockback growth from what I've seen, but it does get affected by the character's weight. :4rob: cannot die from a grounded UAir, yet just send one while he is over you and he might just die, so I guess falling speed still has some influence.
I guess that's why Airdoging when the weak Hitboxes connect is so important : you might get carried upwards, but you might get safe from the windbox too.

(Sorry for the wall :nervous:)

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
It's an interesting wall to read. No apology needed. This move has baffled me forever (it still does, honestly). I can't say exactly when it will KO, but I've been doing it so long that I can FEEL when it will/should KO.

All I can add is that this move will never produce the lightning "this will KO you" effect because a move has to do damage to generate that effect. It's the final windbox on Air Shooter that KOs. It has 260 knockback growth! The only thing that comes even close to that is the final hit on Little Mac's grounded up special at 190. Air Shooter's windbox does no damage. The actual damaging part of the tornado has little knockback (5 base knockback) but it is possible for it to KO...but you'd never see the lightning effect because the opponent would be too high for Mega Man to see it.

Fun fact: Jigglypuff suffers 300 units of knockback when her shield is broken (at least that was the number in Brawl).

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I can't say exactly when it will KO, but I've been doing it so long that I can FEEL when it will/should KO.
This.

Sometimes you can literaly hit them with it and say "Yep, you're dead", cue the off the top KO.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wow this is a huge bump. But I guess I'll allow it. lol

If the OP owner doesn't respond I'll edit this new info into it and add it to the Q&A thread list.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Air Shooter is Mega Man's troll move. It's incredibly weird, but it's also one of his best moves, maybe even his best ariel.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Maybe not his best aerial(generally that might be Slash Claw), but no doubt that Air Shooter is a fantastic move if you can nail your target with a clean hit. Either way, it's still a ridiculously fun move to use that can net you some hilarious kills, definitely my favorite move in his entire arsenal.

Also, people still come here?

Megamang

Smash Lord
I'd say its hard to classify 'best aerial' when they both cover different ranges.

Either way, they are extremely complementary to eachother and both would suffer without the other. I really like falling and dropping uairs as an aerial trap, especially when i still have my double jump. If they airdodge the tornado, I slap them with another tornado, or double jump bair. The mixup between all of these means they are never safe. I truly believe it is an area we have a huge potential in, megaman is currently seen as a low risk low reward in neutral character... But if we add horizontal pressure by expanding our gimp and ledge pressure game, and add huge reward vertically by improving our airshooter and bair juggles, he could become a low risk high reward character, which is historically super powerful in smash.

Anyways, I thought I noticed myself getting more clutch uair kills than normal, but just chalked it up to using the move more. It seems to benefit heavily with rage (most windbox/multihitbox moves really do) and this is wonderful for clutch situations, comebacks, or sealing an early victory when they get greedy and try and fight you high up.

Top Bottom