• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air game or ground game?

Which is better?

• Total voters

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Lets talk about ariel game first. Everyone know Kirby's back air, one of his best Ariel moves, and one of the most spammable moves, Kirby also got a decent up air, a damage building meteor smash, and his triple kick forward air, his neutral air isn't that good though. Now to ground games, all I need do say is grab, forward grab and down grab, his best grabs, now the question is(if you didn't read the topic) which is better? His Ariel game or ground game?

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Isn't it dependent upon the character your opponent is using and the percent they are at? Like Kirby's throw combo at really low percent and kill moves on ground if hard reads at mid percents. Bair kills at upper.
If I had to pick one I'd say air game. When I play Jigglypuff I often wish I never had to land. I imagine it's the same to some degree with Kirby as you are pretty much Puff with a bunch more options/a better version of her.
I'd put kirby about middle of the pack in my knowledge of it so I could be completely wrong.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Air is better for edgeguarding, fencing, and etc.
Ground is best for combo strings along with aerials, especially nair if you can read correctly. Jab and grab is also nice.

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Most of ya chosen ground game? I think Kirby's back air camping isn't bad either.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
Ground game since that is where Kirby players can actually make some nifty mix-ups and combos. Air Kirby is just a tad too straightforward and easy to adapt to for it to be the superior option.

hyoipear

Smash Cadet
It think DC covers why Kirby's so miserable in the air (with perhaps some exaggeration) in his amazing post The Problems with Kirby.

EDIT: Kirby's aerial moves are, due to the way he is played, used mostly as a part of the ground game; after having spaced a bair or w/e, you'll more often than not let Kirby land again, where he will shield, grab, tilt or just dash about if not jump up for another bair or aerial. Aerial camping, the Jiggly way, doesn't really happen as it isn't sufficiently... anything, really.

One also wants to stay low for the simple purpose of not ending up above the opponent and being pressured by him instead of vice versa

Hipuru

Smash Rookie
Kirby has a "Great" ground game with his f-tilt having good range and quick startup, d-tilt having long range and a chance to set up trip grabs, and his u-tilt having great startup and recovery making it a good combo move and just a good move in general, although it's range is not good. Also not to mention his pivot grab is one if the best in the game like really you guys should utilize it more it truely is rediculous.. Kirby has a great ground game it's just a matter of how well you can mix up your opponent. Now his air game is ok because you have more options for mixing up your opponent. Kirby is just an incredibly average character, overall it's just how good your patience and tech skill and mixup game is..but his ground game is actually pretty damn good..

Top Bottom