• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air footies?

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
Sometime I see people randomly jump for no reason. just do empty sh hops when pressuring. I don't really understand this or air Air footies in general. can someone please try to teach me this fundamental.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
When people short hop fast fall constantly in neutral, you should think of it like dash dancing in melee or proximity blocking in Street fighter. They're moving in and out of your space trying to bait you into doing something punishable. When people SHFF they're trying to get you to enter within range of their attack, and then retaliate with an aerial of his or her choice. What aerial you retaliate with out of short hop depends on the start up, landing lag, range, and power of your aerials. For example, :4cloud2: may want to SHFF his Nair, :4sheik: would prefer her fair, while :4dk: may prefer his Bair.

if you want to do this with Pit, I suggest you use fair due to its range and low landing lag.

If you want to see this in action watch some of Ranai's sets, and pay attention to when he short hops, you should notice how whenever the opponent attempts to move in he pops them with a sling shot. (He's a :4villager: main, in case you don't know)

:150:

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
When people short hop fast fall constantly in neutral, you should think of it like dash dancing in melee or proximity blocking in Street fighter. They're moving in and out of your space trying to bait you into doing something punishable. When people SHFF they're trying to get you to enter within range of their attack, and then retaliate with an aerial of his or her choice. What aerial you retaliate with out of short hop depends on the start up, landing lag, range, and power of your aerials. For example, :4cloud2: may want to SHFF his Nair, :4sheik: would prefer her fair, while :4dk: may prefer his Bair.

if you want to do this with Pit, I suggest you use fair due to its range and low landing lag.

If you want to see this in action watch some of Ranai's sets, and pay attention to when he short hops, you should notice how whenever the opponent attempts to move in he pops them with a sling shot. (He's a :4villager: main, in case you don't know)

:150:
So when they empty sh it's to get your opponent to think you have much more range, and what your opponent does to avoid it is punished by what you do in the ground

knepsis

Smash Rookie
When players do empty sh are trying to get you to make an approach and then punish you with an aerial or a quick move as they land.
For pit I think his best way to punish an overcommit from pit's sh is falling bair, or land and jab

Last edited:
Top Bottom