• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

After you use your Up+B, do you become lighter?

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
If this has already been answered I apologize, I'll be the first to admit I've not been doing as much research as I should. But as I keep playing I feel more and more like this is the case. I feel like getting punished before I land for a whiffed Up+B hammer swing sends me farther than the attacks normally would. It would make sense since you lose the KCC. Has anyone else felt the same? Is this just in my head, or does Bowser Jr. actually lose weight when he loses the KCC, making him easier to kill before he lands (and not just in a gimping sense)?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
When you get hit on your body (as opposed to the clown car) you take 1.15x knock back and damage.

Reaperfan

Smash Apprentice
When you get hit on your body (as opposed to the clown car) you take 1.15x knock back and damage.
So it's not weight then, it's just the fact that any hit is guaranteed to hit your body at that point because there is no car?

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I've never observed bonus knockback outside of clown kart. It's a visual that makes sense but I don't have any personal experience or data to say he takes increased knockback (only increased damage).
Knockback linearly correlates with the amount of damage taken. While obviously each move has its own kb and kbg values, the amount of damage a move does factors into the final knockback. A good example of this is bjrs fthrow vs bthrow. Fthrow has substantially higher knockback and knockback growth, but bthrow kills more reliably (and measurably sooner) due to the fact it does more damage. The formula for total knockback is a complicated one.

Because of this bjr does, in fact, take more kb if he himself is hit instead of his clown car. Due to the car blocking his hitbox from below normally bjr will die sooner vertically when outside of the car since he completely lacks the 0.8x hurtbox.

Last edited:

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
Knockback linearly correlates with the amount of damage taken. While obviously each move has its own kb and kbg values, the amount of damage a move does factors into the final knockback. A good example of this is bjrs fthrow vs bthrow. Fthrow has substantially higher knockback and knockback growth, but bthrow kills more reliably (and measurably sooner) due to the fact it does more damage. The formula for total knockback is a complicated one.

Because of this bjr does, in fact, take more kb if he himself is hit instead of his clown car. Due to the car blocking his hitbox from below normally bjr will die sooner vertically when outside of the car since he completely lacks the 0.8x hurtbox.

hmm, that does make sense, I just know from all my playing the bonus KB must be really minimal. For example, when someone is charging a smash and they get hit, you can really see the bonus kb from that. I just haven't observed that from jr. Jr. should be living longer from moves that hit only his kart hitbox from below, but most of the time moves hit both your hitboxes cause we got the short end of the ****ty mechanic stick.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
hmm, that does make sense, I just know from all my playing the bonus KB must be really minimal. For example, when someone is charging a smash and they get hit, you can really see the bonus kb from that. I just haven't observed that from jr. Jr. should be living longer from moves that hit only his kart hitbox from below, but most of the time moves hit both your hitboxes cause we got the short end of the ****ty mechanic stick.
Yeah i hate the fact that if both hurtboxes are hit the 1.15x one overrides the 0.8x one. That's total garbage. If you were to measure the difference between being killed off with an attack that only hit the cart vs the opposite youd notice a substantial difference. Unfortunately that's almost never the case. :(

Top Bottom