• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aether spike best choice

ike-brawler567

Smash Cadet
when it comes to meteor smashing or spikes, i prefer the aether spike. the timing is relativly easy,has SAFs, and instantly makes you edge hog. dtilt's timing is hard to pull but a great spike, but if playing competitve, its probably useless. dair is a awesome meteor but the timing and recovery options( i use both jumps when using it) are hard to pull off. any opinions?

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Sorry.. love the Dtilt... because it is a spike and not a meteor... I can get it off most of the time when i try.

My friends have learned the timing of getting away from the aether spike if they are on the ledge so that doesn't work as often.

Dair still works with great accuracy. Try running off the ledge.. immediately jump then Dair while you are still rising.. if done correctly with DI you should land back on the ledge and not have to do aether to recover.

Couldn't tell you which one is better.. I love and use them all.

ike-brawler567

Smash Cadet
Sorry.. love the Dtilt... because it is a spike and not a meteor... I can get it off most of the time when i try.

My friends have learned the timing of getting away from the aether spike if they are on the ledge so that doesn't work as often.

Dair still works with great accuracy. Try running off the ledge.. immediately jump then Dair while you are still rising.. if done correctly with DI you should land back on the ledge and not have to do aether to recover.

Couldn't tell you which one is better.. I love and use them all.
You make a ton of great points, i'll use your advice. thanks!

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
If you ever do the dtilt spike, it's rediculous, absolutely no chance of them making it, however, extremely hard to use.

I'd probably agree that Aether-Spike is the best meteor/spike, simply because it has SAF and Dair doesn't, so it's a lot "safer".

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Ike is a jerk when it comes to spiking. He has so many great options. Like his KO power wasn't enough! xD

I always find dtilt hard to use. It is not like Marth d-tilt in melee, where you sat in the right spot and spammed it. You have to make it hit RIGHT on the FIRST time. That takes awesome timing, and poor plannng on your opponent. Especially if they KNOW about it. >.>

Krath

Smash Cadet
Dtilt is usable. I've spiked a Pit at 0%.

I posted this before, but I guess it didn't work...

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
Yeah, it's usable, I mean, if it hits, the opponent is basically dead, but that's a big "if" right there. I mean, how often is somebody gonna be a little above the ledge and like inches away without instantly sweetspotting? Also, even though it has SAF, annoying things like Marth's dolphin slash still get around to both avoiding the attack and making me flinch.

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
If you are standing at the very end of the ledge, it goes a little past the sweetspot I think, but most times, characters will come at the sweetspot from below, at least from what I've seen, if somebody is stupid enough to try and "jump" back to stage without sweetspotting, you might be able to get em with the spike.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
The Dtilt also hits below the stage a little... it is more of an angle from the edge down. It is past the sweetspot stage and can punish when perfected. I love it... i have yet to find the SAFs.. but when i do.. my friends are in trouble.

Really stupid opponent... mistake by them.. or lucky on your part all help.. but if you can get it off.. it helps to kill at 10%.. have done it to my friends Pit that doesn't sweet spot too easy.

If you find it inconsisent or can't land it at all... trying running off.. jump then Dair before they reach the sweet spot... i'm gonna start incorporating this into my move set cuz its a more reliable spike to pull off... but basically to keep my opponent guessing at which spike i am going to pull off... .... maybe do Eruption too... too many mind games... its awesome.

metroid1117

Smash Master
The only problem with the Aether spike is that it's very easy to predict. If you're playing a tether recovery character though, it's probably the best choice of interception.

Top Bottom