• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aether EdgeGuarding Technique

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing brawl a lot, and my characters are Ike, Zelda, and Marth. I noticed when playing with Ike that Aether is an amazing move, so I starting using it as an edgeguard. I tried to suicide aether my friend by taking him with me only a little off the edge, but I noticed that his Aether is an amazing edgeguard, and against almost every character its an immediate spike with no ability to escape out of it.

I read many threads that has Aether as a good edgeguard but never saw anything about the ability to spike with it off the edge and still recover, so Im posting it for Ike players that wanna use it becuase as far as I can tell there are all pros and no cons.

What you do Is short hop a bit off the ledge, far enough so your aether, WHILE HOLDING BACK, can recover grabbing the ledge and start the Aether. The position you want your opponent in is not high enough where Aether will not bring them below the stage, so maybe between 1 and 2 character lengths above you.

If done right, it should bring your opponent WAY BELOW the able recovery height of almost any character, with exceptions of pit probably(havnt tried it yet), and at the same time grab the edge. This is only circumstancial due to the mindgames incorporated into the game. If someones coming in high enough it won't work, too low probably not, but for mid height its SUPPER EFFECTIVE!!(LoL, pokemon reference). I call it the Ike Spike(LOL, i wanted to call it something cool and not something stupid like SlayerColdKilr's Pattended Spike For Ike, becuase, and this is the important part, I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE THE FIRST PERSON TO FIND THIS. For all I know there is a thread for this and im taking somneone elses thunder.

I jsut wanted to help out every Ike Player outthere, becuase what I noticed can be useful for anyone that wants to use it ^_^.

Please don't leave comments like "I found it way before you did bla bla bla" becuase again Im probably not the first one to find this out, but comments like "Yea it's useful, but theres others that already do it" are cool. SO HOPE YOU ENJOY!!

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
way to own a topic.

also while it could work, it feels too risky to me.

Worldkaos

Smash Cadet
Lol at "Ike Spike" but yeah, this is an amazing ability, I haven't managed to master it yet but it's still great. Oh and walkskyluker115 made a thread actually named Ike Spike just about this at the bottom of the page. ;)

DivinityZERO

Smash Rookie
IMO one of the coolest technique for Ike. I've done it about 2 times every match in a 4 stock game. Even if you don't spike, you can do it close enough sothat he grabs the edge, hogging it from the other player.

Timat the Slayer

Smash Journeyman
I've actually done this multiple times against my friend Renth, and it's not quite as amazing as one would like to think it is. Anybody with a decent recovery (or some people with a crappy one like ganon) can still hit ike off the ledge and recover afterwards if they got fast enough reflexes.

I was sorely dissappointed =(

Edit: Not saying that it doesn't work, but it's not nearly as foolproof as it sounds. It loses it's 'oumph' when you're playing people that really know what they're doing. Or expect it.

Top Bottom