• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adware problems

Gnes

Smash Master
So im having problems with pop-ups appearing. I use AVG for protection and ive had it scan twice and it hasnt found anything. Also, before the pop-ups appeared the computer got really slow for an instance...then several popups began to appear from internet explorer, and kept on appearing until i deleted the process with task manager. I dont know whats really causing the problem or how to stop it, though i do believe its not a trojan.

Any help/suggestions

toon_marth

Smash Ace
I help/suggest you switch your internet browser from Internet Explorer to something like Opera, Firefox, or Safari. Internet Explorer has many weak areas that are easily exploited by adware. Its also possible that something that you downloaded had a bit of adware attached to it. Try individually scanning files you have downloaded recently.

I don't have any experience with AVG, but I have experience with Web Browsers. Again, my best advice to you would be to simply NOT use Internet Explorer after you have gotten this all taken care of.

Also, if your AVG subscription is almost up, I recommend switching to Webroot. They are a solid internet security.

Gnes

Smash Master
Well the thing is im using firefox so i dont think its the web browser. Though i will try individual scans of files and such. The thing is i haven't really downloaded anything recently so i dont really know whats going on. Plus scans of my cpu read nothing so....

HabiT

Smash Apprentice
then several popups began to appear from internet explorer, and kept on appearing until i deleted the process with task manager.
Well the thing is im using firefox so i dont think its the web browser.
Which is it?

If you ARE using Firefox, then you should try downloading Malwarebytes. It's just a trial, but you should just need to run it once. It almost always finds **** on my computer. Gonna go try it actually...

See how that works.

Gnes

Smash Master
Which is it?

If you ARE using Firefox, then you should try downloading Malwarebytes. It's just a trial, but you should just need to run it once. It almost always finds **** on my computer. Gonna go try it actually...

See how that works.
Sorry for not being understandable...i use firefox but internet explorer is still on my cpu. So basically when i was using firefox, internet explorer opened by itself displaying ads.

Gnes

Smash Master
no problem...it started two days ago...yesterday i hardly used my cpu at all except for scanning it in fear of it getting worst...the thing...i didnt know adware could infect u just from looking at a site...i thought u had to download something

Superstar

Smash Champion
IE ads sound like spyware.

AVG free isn't too good with that. Viruses don't often come from just viewing a site, but spyware does. Even with Firefox, less spyware =/= no spyware.

Best shot is to use something like spybot, adaware, or that malwarebytes thing.

Gnes

Smash Master
Well i took my laptop to a IT center at my college and they basically said that AVG doesnt work too well in certain defense zones...basically they gave me a free virus protection site that the school uses. I just downloaded it but for some reasons im receiving no pop-ups at the moment...

Ill wait to see how this new virus protection works. thanks guys :)

Top Bottom