• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice?

Burgy

Minion Lover <3
NNID
BurgySama
3DS FC
2766-9016-5287
So I've been playing Smash since the Nintendo 64 game and am absolutely enamoured with with the franchise but I've never entered a tournament!
All the players in my town are usually not as good as me as they play the game a little more casually than I do and I've been wanting to get into tourneys. Do you guys have any advice for my first tourney?
I'm thinking of entering a Smash 4 tournament because I'm a pleb and Melee scares me since I have very little tech skill haha

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
...Just have fun. I haven't been to a tournament yet, so I hope this at least helps you. I play Smash to have fun.

Burgy

Minion Lover <3
NNID
BurgySama
3DS FC
2766-9016-5287
...Just have fun. I haven't been to a tournament yet, so I hope this at least helps you. I play Smash to have fun.
Thanks pal. I have fun playing Smash whether I win or lose but I'm just looking for more of a challenge really so that's why I want to enter a tournament, to meet more competent players than i've met before :)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If you go to a tournament without prior experience, you will get bodied.

This is good. It inspires you to practice harder and go back next time to see how much you've improved.

Win or lose, if you have fun, that's the important thing. Trust me, a good beatdown will make you better if you focus on why you were beaten and exactly where you need to improve.

Don't worry about it. Just go for it, I'm sure it's gonna be a fun time.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
yeah just have fun with it. you'll probably get messed up a bit depending on how good your region/your competition is but if you can stomach that then tournaments are generally a good experience. you might even want to go to more of them after your first one and that's how you really get into the game

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
You should try WSGrandPrix. You can go to his smash boards page for more details, but he hosts online tournaments via Twitch. I tried it as my first tourney, and I had a lot of fun. I would call it a more casual kind of tournament, and if your wifi's good enough (doesn't lag badly most of the time in online mode), then I would highly recommend it.

Burgy

Minion Lover <3
NNID
BurgySama
3DS FC
2766-9016-5287
You should try WSGrandPrix. You can go to his smash boards page for more details, but he hosts online tournaments via Twitch. I tried it as my first tourney, and I had a lot of fun. I would call it a more casual kind of tournament, and if your wifi's good enough (doesn't lag badly most of the time in online mode), then I would highly recommend it.
Thanks man, I'll definitely check it out soon. Do you know where most players are located or is it just all over the world?

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
Thanks man, I'll definitely check it out soon. Do you know where most players are located or is it just all over the world?
A lot are on the Pacific coast I think, but I'm from the east coast, and I know that people in Europe play in the tourneys too. So it's international.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
Go in with a winning attitude and learn from the other competitors. Watch their matches so you may see some decent strategies that you can apply to your skill set. Of course I don't really play in tournaments so my advise is most likely moot, lol.

Top Bottom