• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice vs. Falco, Link, Luigi, Samus

Copius

Smash Rookie
Hey, my friends play as Falco, Link, Luigi, and Samus, respectively. Does anyone have any advice on techniques that work particularly well against those characters?

Namiel

Smash Cadet
I play Link and can relate expericence from Marth, so take the advice with a grain of salt ;)

First, try to keep the pressure on Link to limit his use of projectiles. If you can, about the only thing you'll have to worry about are shorthop boomerangs. If you're good at catching bombs, I reccomend you do so. Just remember that if your friend is a good Link, he's thinking more about using projectiles as a setup for an attack rather than just an attack themselves, so watch for an advance afterwards. Try not to be predictable with such evasion if you can (like always jumping over them). It makes it all the easier to be set up.

Watch out for spin attacks from shield (<3). Try to limit your laggy moves such as f-smash at higher percentages because it's all too easy for Link to blow you off with a spin attack after shielding. Remember that his shield grab has much range too.

I'd love to post more, but I need to get back to work and will forget about this topic :p

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
(Tried to post this last night, but smashboards was being lame >.< )

These nice walls o' text are assuming that you know how to shield grab/shuffle/wavedash proficiently. If you don't, learn those first. Even if you do, practice shuffling alot, doing shuffles as quickly as you can, roy can move faster than most people think. Running off platform -> fast falled fair is nice and fast.

Falco: A pain in the *** match up. His lazers and pillaring should make it so its super hard to hit him, but when you do, you can seriously put the hurt on him. Spam dtilt; it lead to an easy forward smash, and then you just need a flare blade/counter edgeguard to finish the stock off. Upthrow -> fsmash works wonders, and at higher percent you can fthrow -> tech chase fsmash for the kill. You can duck under his lazers (unless they SHL them super low), so wavedash backwards -> dtilt is super nice, specially with the whole fsmash thing on top of it. Running attack has a nice quick burst of range and pulls you low, so it can hit falco out of a SHL at times, just be extremely careful trying it. You really want to sweetspot the ledge on recovery, unless you want to eat a spike and dump your stock.

Link: This punk has a bunch of projectiles, so most of the match will be you approaching him. You can fair right through his boomerang, just watch out for the bombs. Coming in with fair -> dtilt is really safe; even if he blocks, hes too slow to shield grab you after the dtilt, unless you just sit there and do nothing. Link is a good weight for dtilt -> aerial combos, so get those babies in and put the hurt on him. Hes also a good weight for dthrow -> fsmash. If they try to sweetspot upB the ledge when recovering, short hop and do a flare blade; the hop will make his swings miss, and the arch of the flare blade in the air will still hit him, providing you time it right. Watch out for his grabs, they hurt; at low % you'll be eating a dthrow ->uptilt/upsmash -> various aerial, and at higher pecents they'll dthrow-> upB (make sure you DI towards the center of the stage, and [smash]DI the upB hit, and you should still be fine).

Luigi: His wavedashing puts you at the disadvantage for ground speed, and getting hit by luigi hurts. Dtilt alot to keep him a safe distance away, and after dtilting just throw lots of little taps at him, making sure not to get in n/d/fair range. Your throws are practically useless in this match-up, he can jump out of dthrow -> fsmash even if he DIs it horribly. Maybe its just me, but charging flare blade at the edge doesn't seem to work. Instead, I usually dtilt -> full jump flare blade. It doesn't have as much knock back as a super charged B, but it racks up damage and is easier to hit with. Do not get grabbed; luigis dthrow will get you *****. Dsmash is a nice finisher if you rack him up to 100%+ and can't seem to get that fsmash/edgeguard in (just don't miss, wind down lag sucks).

Samus: Watch out for crouch cancelling; if she starts crouch cancelling alot, start doing more dtilt/grabs. With her rediculous recovery, you won't be killing her untill you get her to a high percent. Dtilt works wonders as always; as soon as you get her in the air, keep her above you with shuffle uairs and fairs and just rack on as much damage as you can. Watch out for he downsmash, it really just screws up your momentum and puts you in a bad position, not to mention racking up assloads of damage. Fair beats her missles, so don't be afraid to approach, just don't be stupid about it. Again, dsmash kills at high percents.

Lol, i totally didn't expect to end up typing this much out.
Any questions? :lick:

Banned via Administration
god **** quit already sethlong jesus christ wtf thats like a ****ing novel on roy no one should be able to write that much on a character who's best attribute is his hairless ******

royinator

Smash Cadet
yeah

god **** quit already sethlong jesus christ wtf thats like a ****ing novel on roy no one should be able to write that much on a character who's best attribute is his hairless ******
that's a good point. that's a whole lot of info. do you actually play roy?

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
that's a good point. that's a whole lot of info. do you actually play roy?
Definitely worthy of the "whats the dumbest thing you ever heard someone say" thread. Although it was long, Sethlon did have some good advice, and i doubt anyone on this thread can top his.

And for 5150, as RagnaRok says, respect the best.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
What NJz says is true. Wavedashing alone is an extremely important skill. Out of all the cast, Roy is the ONLY one I can EFFECTIVELY wavedash with as well as in corperate it into combos and such. IT also helps with spacing, which is need (At least I think) when playing Roy. IT can also help you develop the "mindgame".

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
5150 plays Roy but for some reason spends a good bit of his days lurking in the Roy boards and telling people that he's the worst character.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
i love playing roy! but he sucks!!
in my experience with falco (which isnt a lot...) i like to just spam dtilts, then cg to fsmash.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
When SSB cam out I mained Fox. then When I unlocked C.Falcon I switched to him. once I got into melee, switching to Roy was the worst decision I made related to smash. but it's ok because Roy's really fun.

Top Bottom