• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on how to beat Mario

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
Any advice on how to play against Mario. I'm having a hard time landing hits because his rolls seem to be long enough to dodge D-smash and anything else i seem to throw. Matches tend to run with Mario having both lives at the end. I had originally asked this question in the match-up thread but no one answered me

T.B. Player

Smash Rookie
NNID
T.B.Player23
3DS FC
0001-4141-2460
I had a match recently with a Mario player. I lost the match, but I did have a good amount of momentum for the duration of the match. The problem with Mario is that he is good at dealing with floaty characters. The main thing you want to watch out for is his fair spike. My strategy was to limit edge combat on the stage. At the beginning of the match, I felt it was my responsibility to control the center stage by any means necessary. Use your best judge of character depending on the situation. If Mario rolls a lot, I think it would be best to have a turnip in hand so you can punish him even if he shields it. I think I did too many short float dairs. That's what cost me the match. But I'm still a strong believer in this strategy.

Also, I recommend using turnips as your primary edge guarding tactics. Only go off the stage if you're 100% certain you can get the kill. Watch out for his fair.

When you recover, you definitely don't want to be out of Mario's range for his fair spike. Either recover super low or super high. I say this because Mario doesn't jump very high and he can't afford to go too deep.

I hope this helps. I think controlling center stage is a good strategy for all characters with spike moves. Perhaps consider this for really good Yoshi, Donkey Kong, or Captain Falcon players.

Last edited:

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Any advice on how to play against Mario. I'm having a hard time landing hits because his rolls seem to be long enough to dodge D-smash and anything else i seem to throw. Matches tend to run with Mario having both lives at the end. I had originally asked this question in the match-up thread but no one answered me
I agree what @ T.B. Player T.B. Player . Yes you really need those turnips, but also doing dair while moving forward and backwards is a challenge to him, because after they roll they will mostly jab or dsmash which won't work since Peach is going to be up in the air. If he keeps on rolling do pivot grabs and attacks too. Using counter is also good because if they hit after they roll they'll be countered. Oh and the Dsmash might not work, because you let it go too early. Try to charge a little when you see him roll behind you, but if he rolls away let go of it. Using side B is also good for rollers. Throwing turnips up in the air is good too. I just realized that you have to keep him off the stage as much as you can. When he's trying to recover throw turnips down at him pr at high percentages, do a stage spike (bair him into the wall of the stage). Sometimes after being hit by the turnip the still recover, but get past the ledge for a moment and then grabs it. don't let this free hit go by. Hit him with a fsmash when he goes past and yo'll send him flying off stage or see him fail recovery. I hope this helps XD

Last edited:
Top Bottom