• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice on hosting a school tournament?

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
Hello, fellow smashers; I approach you all with my first question-based thread. As a part of a charity organization I am part of, I have to run a charity drive for coats and shoes, and I wanted to be original with mine (since everyone else is just doing straightforward donations). I came up with the idea of having a tournament (which the principal has approved) for the people who donate (with a single item being the admission fee), with Project M being the "main attraction" (since it's probably the easiest competitive Smash for my school to get, since I believe we have two Wiis, I have a copy of Brawl + an SD card, and people will also likely bring in items for use) alongside other games; as I feel that having only one game would bore people like crazy. This would especially be true at my school, since a majority of the students aren't really familiar with Smash (although I am known for playing Smash 3DS on the bus) and the gamers tend to prefer Call of Duty and Madden NFL/other sports games. I want to make the tournament simple for a place where people aren't too familiar with Smash, let alone competitive rules- I'll list my proposed "simple" rules below. What is some advice I could use that applies specifically to a school tournament?
:mario2:

My proposed rules:
3 stocks, 6 minutes (so that it doesn't take too long and people get bored)
Dave's Stupid Rule does not apply (it probably would be a bit much for Smash newbies)
No Gentleman's Clause
Items are set to off and none
The first stage is picked by the result of rock-paper-scissors, and the other stage(s) is/are picked by the loser of the previous round (striking would take longer and possibly confuse people)
Best out of three matches
The mediator (who will most likely be me) will decide the outcome of all disputes
No starters/counterpicks (this would make no sense to most people)

Legal stages: (pretty much anything that isn't too "disruptive" is legal so that the selection isn't restrictive)
Battlefield
Castle Siege (PM version only)
Dream Land (HD)
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Frigate Orpheon
Kongo Jungle
Lylat Cruise
Norfair
Pokemon Stadium (2)
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island
Delfino's Secret
Hanenbow (PM version only)
Distant Planet (PM version only)
Green Hill Zone (PM version only)
Metal Cavern HD (Meta Crystal)
Rumble Falls (PM version only)
Smashville
Skyloft
Wario Land
Yoshi's Story (Island)
Luigi's Mansion
Bowser's Castle (competitive layout only)

mythbust4000

Smash Journeyman
NNID
do the competive stagelist and time/stocks. 1.) too much stages. I find no use to add more if the point is to make it more simple. 2.) I dont see this changeing much. if you have a lack of setups then ask people to bring equipment to help. I bet people on facebook are willing to let you barrow as long as you give back

Bleck

Smash Master
make sure to ask everybody to wear ****ing deodorant

Brisk187

Smash Rookie
Make sure to decide which type of tournament you will run, whether it be single-elimination, double-elimination, round robin, or something else I hadn't thought of.

Also, any kind of prize would bring in a lot more entrants. Discuss what would be appropriate with your school staff.

Last edited:

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
For stages you could just select some or all of those legal ones you listed, turn them on for the random select and just have the stage chosen at random from that list.

Top Bottom