• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice needed on my ZSS game and on utilizing her throws

WhiteWingDemon

Smash Cadet
I never use ZSS's throws in match. I know alot of people consider her down throw essential, but I can never find a way to use it. The lag on her throw is terrible and too easily punishable because it only grabs on the tip as it is expanding.

Vids:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joWlXPuuIrs - The best of me and DSR's three matches.

I like to be pretty aggressive using my speed to my advantage. That is why I switched from Samus to Zamus.

Anyway here is a brief list of what I think I need to work on, but I would love to here from you guys here.

-Too many dash attacks.
-Too much reliance on d-special and neutral special.
-Need to utilize ZSS's great aerial game.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
IMO, it's hard to judge since you have one video against a CPU player.

You do use the dash attack a bit too much. It's good, but not that good.
I personally wouldn't use downB that much.
The stun gun is nice to use every now and then, but against a CPU...playing in any sort of way "smart" with it won't do you any good.

Downthrow to hyphen smash or up air or even bair is nice.
Try working on playing human players.
I'm in NY, perhaps I can show you my Zamus some time when I'm not at work?

-Nox`

WhiteWingDemon

Smash Cadet
I don't actually have any friends who play Brawl competitively, though I do plan on attending some tournaments over the next few weeks.. It would be nice to play against you, though my Internet does incur a bit of lag at times. So I apologize for the lack of material. I'll try and work on getting some more.

Thanks for the advice.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Only throw you should use is Dthrow, because you can combo out of it. Uthrow gives them a chance to DI away, and the other two are just bad.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
The reason why the Down throw is so good is because even if the enemy escape the down throw to uair set up with their air dodge you can still purse them with a long rang attack like the side B or even another aerial like the bair.

Basically as long as you don't mess up you either get a combo move that can kill in the high 130s or hit your opponent with a finisher.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Well know the throw's advantage and disadvantage. ITs disadvantage is the terrible lag but the advantage is long range. I suggest using the throw long range while dashing.

Do a dashing shield grab(or dashing grab) with it does wonders since the range of the throw is very long. She has one of the longest grabs(Combine with a dash) in the game so take advantage of that.

You can also use it when they whiff a move. My suggestion is not to use it up close too much as you get punished more often. At least if you miss long range they have to get to you first.

Hope this helps.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
When you do use the Dash attack follow it up with a down tilt. The neutral combo really does nothing for you besides a bit of damage. Down tilt will set them up for aerial attacks. You can shield grab with her throw if your opponent uses a laggy attack. You can also often get someone who is running at you or rolling away but use caution. Also running and grabbing with it works well, especially when they're expecting the dash attack. Anyway you need to get her air game going one way or another.

Also don't use the paralyzer too much. Its ok to inhibit opponents who are charging at you but it is best used sparingly. Also if you hit them with the smash paralyzer you can actually use it again and then hit them with your F-smash. It only adds a bit of damage but every little bit helps.

If you happen to be at the edge and an opponent is trying to recover above you use Up B instead of Up Smash. It will spike them.

Also if you're planning to go to tournaments and stuff I suggest looking up wavebouncing. Its a great technique for ZSS. It basically lets you jump towards an opponent than retreat while using your Forward B. Its good stuff.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
I've evolved my game away from her D-throw and now rely on her D-tilt. Why? Because my friend's refuse to be grabbed now because they know that once I screw up they can punish me.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Try stunning then grabbing, then a down-throw.
Out of the grab use either an side-B, up-B, or aerial u-tilt, whichever you like or deem best for the situation.
oh, and I didn't watch your video, but if your opponent pursues you to when your off the course, use your down and b then spike on them, and don't be afraid to use your down-b before using your second jump, switch things up a bit.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I've evolved my game away from her D-throw and now rely on her D-tilt. Why? Because my friend's refuse to be grabbed now because they know that once I screw up they can punish me.
Really, Delicious? Because the more I play with Zamus the more I have to rely on her grab just to get a few reliable hits in. My game keeps on evolving into heavier and heavier grab dependences especially with people who memorized the distance of Zamus side B. Literately I’ve had over a half a dozen people who would charge toward Zamus only to stop perfectly in her side B dead zone even if I wavebounce it.

Top Bottom