• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice needed: Flat Stages and Projectile Spammers

AgentLemon921

Smash Rookie
I'm having a lot of trouble with ZSS against projectile spammers (read: Pit) on flat stages like FD and Smashville. Now obviously, when in these matchups I'll avoid those stages like the plague, but thats not always possible. The main issue is approaching: I definitely can't beat them in a projectile war, and a frontal direct approach doesn't work. I've been resorting to approaching with aerials (Fair and Nair) but with ZSS's high SH they're inefficient and hard to pull off. Any tips?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Replace aerials with a down-b kick, it usually does the trick if you are close enough to use that. The is/can be a lot lower than her short hop and it's easy to hit with.

There are probably more effective ways than that though, but it's worked on all of the spammers I've faced... which isn't too many actually.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
For projectile spammers, Crawling comes of good use. Pit can aim the arrows downward but it can't really direct them downward perfectly so crawling when he shoots is effective. And use her speed.

So My advice is to crawl when necessary and use her speed to evade projectiles and bring the projectile users to your range to attack.(ZSS is one of the faster characters in game so use it to her advantage)

Landing(From air) and Side B isn't bad move as well. Down B has invincibility so you can use that as well for projectiles.

You can try a Wavebounce side B for short hop attack but it is a bit of a advanced technique.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
The only stage really flat enough for guys to effectively camp is Final D and some parts in Dolpic town (whatever the name of that stage was).

On those stages, crawl or SHAD.

ZSS shouldn't have too much trouble with spammers, she has her >B after all.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
You can try a Wavebounce side B for short hop attack but it is a bit of a advanced technique.
I thought that required b-sticking, or was very, very difficult to do without it. I might be mistaken though.

Anyway, I completely forgot about crawling... good point.

Eten

Smash Ace
Zamus has some range. A thing that is true about ALL character with good projectile spam is that it forces you to do the approaching, which makes things more difficult. Zamus, imho, has a neat approach game.

Her fsmash actually spaces farther than just about any move in the game, and the stun shot, over-B, and grab also all give you almost as good long distance options. Getting close to a projectile spammer, is usually best done by mixing up short hops, shielding, spotdodging(very useful), and crawling. About crawling- she can be slow to go into a crawl sometimes, however she can go directly from a land to a crawl animation with 0 lag in between, so often after a shorthop you can crawl under certain projectiles for a bit. The trick to beating a good projectile spammer/camper as ZSS is having patience avoiding the projectiles, and getting into just that range where you're moves reach but theirs do not. A simple example- dashing towards pit, spotdodging an arrow out of the dash just within range of an fsmash, and then fsmashing with the tip right afterwards. After that, use ZSS's speed to get under him or keep him off balance.

When you mix it up to match it up with what they do and to not be too predictable, you'll find that you can move around and just space better than these projectile spammers and get them w/ you're superior range over and over.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
I thought that required b-sticking, or was very, very difficult to do without it. I might be mistaken though.

Anyway, I completely forgot about crawling... good point.

IT is kinda hard but it is not really. I mean it not as hard as you may think. Look at my b sticking guide to see how to do it without setting c to special.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154740

AgentLemon921

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I haven't really been using crawling that much up till now, but I can definitely see that its an important approach technique.

Top Bottom