• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for shield dropping?

Maza Nomains

Smash Rookie
I recently learned to shield drop and after about 2 weeks of drilling I can do it about 90% of the time on command. But I've been having trouble actually finding uses for it in-match besides as an extra way to escape pressure, which wasn't exactly hard to do with Fox in the first place.

So, can anyone tell me some good uses for the tech I just spent 100+ hours learning?

dvatch

Smash Cadet
if you are shielding on a platform, and a marth is attacking from below, you are correct in saying it is easy to escape his shield pressure. However, if you want to counterattack, shield dropping is very useful

Maza Nomains

Smash Rookie
I was more referring to how just shine or Usmash oos are such solid options anyway. I suppose if a Falcon tries to poke you with Uair under the platform you can counterattack with a shield drop, and similar situations. I dunno, it just seems really situational and not quite as OP as people make it out to be, especially for the effort involved in getting it consistently, not to mention the risk of screwing it up and risking your roll/spotdodge getting punished.

Burnaby

Smash Rookie
Shield dropping is no longer just a defensive option out of shield. Its now a movement option that lets you attack from any angle on a platform with Dash -> Shield Drop -> drill/bair/nair(if you're sick)

Its stupid fast.

ZombyDyno

Smash Rookie
Just gonna add on here, also experiment with shield drop waveland, and even shield drop -> waveland -> action (such as uptilt, nair, or drill). It's a really useful movement option, especially since you can pivot and then shield drop to waveland in order to face the appropriate direction for the uptilt or a waveland -> bair (kinda like what PPMD does with wavedash forward -> bair to beat someone running at him, but instead of wd back, it can be shield drop -> waveland forward -> bair)

It's also really good for getting to ledge from platform, and mixing it up with just wd off platform -> ff to ledge. If you wanted to be super next level you could even adjust the angle at which you waveland to adjust your spacing, but I haven't messed with that in particular at all.

CmonChapanya

Smash Rookie
Ive seen some guy use it to shine icees safley af (dash -> shield drop -> shine -> waveland on platform) that blew my friggin mind

ZombyDyno

Smash Rookie
Ive seen some guy use it to shine icees safley af (dash -> shield drop -> shine -> waveland on platform) that blew my friggin mind
You can also shield drop shine without leaving the platform, and it's more consistent than shine oos (at least on platform), meaning you can shield drop shine grab to pressure if someone is on platform

Top Bottom