• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for playing Kirby

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Ok so I got to finally try project M half a year ago. Get to play it every week or so at a group meet up at my university.

Really loving how Kirby is in this game :>

Now I usually play SSB4 +Pocket Smash but as long as it's Smash bros I'll play it anyway. My group usually do 1 on 1 fights on Project M and I'm wondering what are Kirby's best options for approaching in PM.

I'm still adjusting to the differences from Brawl and SSB4. I'm not used to incorporating Wave dashing or L cancelling to get around faster. Can't snap the edge

I forget how useful Kirby's dash attack is , even that I have the sideways final cutter or a decent hammer.

The only match up I'm having trouble with right now is up against Lucario because of how much I can get combo'd if I stay in one place and shield (A habit I need to get out of ) . It seems out of all the other characters that's the one people have taking a liking to in my group in terms of high level play. That's the only character I'm unsure how to deal with given how different he is.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
With approaching you have: Dash attack, short hop Fair and Nair, short hop inhale, or cutter dash. Also, just running straight up to them works to if you mix it in with your approaches. I have just run straight up to people and up smashed or hammered them before and their faces are priceless because they can't believe that you did that and it worked.

B00nes

Smash Rookie
Lucario loses to crouch cancelling HARD. Some of Lucarios attacks whiff when Kirby ducks, and dtilt is an amazing tool to poke that furry out of your happy bubble. Kirby doesn't have amazing approach options, so you often times have to bait out an attack. Lucarios so commonly go for dash attack when starting a combo, so bait it out of him by maybe dash dancing next to him and get him on that long cool down. When you get him off stage, dair for days. Also remember you can jump out of shield with a nair as a good way to deal with pressure, so unless the lucario is perfect at spacing, Short hop nair will definitely help

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Just remember that your Dash Attack, specials, and D-Throw are actually good in PM. :p

N-Air is super fast and a great way to protect yourself, and your B-Air actually hits a little bit in front of you. Also don't be afraid to experiment... nearly all of his moves are worth using.

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
So when i started out as Kirby in PM I kinda just practiced movement a bit, It's easy to rely on dash attack but to me you should only try and use it as a punish. I like to bait things out when i play people at higher levels and sometimes rather then approach them I get them to approach me so I can grab them into a combo or something.
If i do need to approach i would try and mix it up with DA or aerials or even try and jump>inhale if i think i can get something off it.
F-air i don't like as an a main approach option because it is pretty punishable but it is a good mix up,
N-air isn't as bad since it stays out for a decent time.
Low spaced b-airs are awesome imo because if you're close enough to the ground and l-cancel them then you can get away before the get out of shield stun. (it works with any aerial really but I really just like it with b-air seems to get me more rewards)

Then again I'm still kinda trying to learn how to be a gud Kirby so take that advice as needed i suppose :p

Top Bottom