• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice for a new Lucario player

Tdsholo

Smash Rookie
Hello! I'm just starting to play the game since years in brawl (So I know the basic concepts, no problem with that) and picked up Lucario again for main him

After reading the guide that is currently in progress (So good, actually), I jumped into for glory for playing a couple of matches with Lucario (I don't have anybody to play offline *sobs*) and I have a few problems, and I would like to ask for advice for that problems and other things in general:

-I find myself A TON of times in a position where my tilts/jab doesn't reach the oponent, but they actually do and I always whiff my jab/Ftilt and get sucked

-I don't know if I'm correct or not, but since brawl it seems like they changed a bit the movement and I find myself locked in animations like stopping from a dash or things and I always end punished. Would someone explain the best movement options there are now?

-Any other tip or thing do you think is worth training (I need a lot of training, but I don't know what to train!)

Thank you very much!

centauri_

Smash Rookie
NNID
centauri_SB
- For my experience, Lucario is more of a very close quarters combat in the neutral game. So close, in fact, that I'm convinced most of the casts' aerials out prioritize Lucarios aerials (I'm just pulling that out of my ass, I don't know for sure myself. It would be good to talk to some more experienced players about that topic.). Whenever I miss my first jab, I just keep jabbing until the third one which has more reach than the first two and will catch your opponent off guard.

-This one is more of a time thing. Once you get used to the new mechanics of his moveset over time, it will become a lot easier (At least it was for me.

-I can't offer a lot since I'm not that great of a teacher, but what I can say are these little tid-bits: Don't rely on your specials too much (good players can punish those laggy moves), practice not using extreme speed to land on the stage (any skill level can punish that two-day ending lag)/ practice coming in on the stage at a 40 degree or somewhat angle to cancel out the lag of extreme speed, and be aware of your percentage at all times.

I know most of that was common knowledge, but I hoped some of that helped. If anyone here knows more on this subject, please tell me if I'm wrong.

A-A-Ron

Smash Rookie
NNID
A-A-Ron-Coleman
3DS FC
1736-1976-7189
Lucario has moved to my main in the 3DS as of this month. The first thing I will say is this: Use your tilts. Lucarios smash attacks are very slow and more experience players will punish it easily. Your forward tilt will be great for getting people off you and give you space.

Secondly: his areal game is strong when you use it right. F-airs are great and you can hit up to three in a combo easy. His back air will take some time to master but it has great knockback. try using it off stage and get the KO by hitting them into the stage, if there is no tech it is very good.

Third: use the side special for spacing, at high percents it has a crazy amount of range, I often use it when I am knocked off stage to hit them o I can safely recover to the edge.

Finally: try to charge aura sphere near opponents on your backside, it damages them and it lets you safely charge completely most of the time. After it is charged, be patient with using it. It'll always be the first priority to watch for the asura sphere, so you can use that to your advantage and get many hits you wouldn't normally get.

Tdsholo

Smash Rookie
I like to use the sphere a higher percents as a pressure tool more than using it iself, just having it charged leads to mistakes in certain opponents, which is good! xD

I'm now practicing perfect pivoting and agh, I have practiced it for almost a week every day and I don't get it consistent yet, but it's getting better

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Don't bother with perfect pivoting. The time it takes to do it consistently, you're better off fine tuning your fundamentals and other aspects of your game plan.

Tdsholo

Smash Rookie
I dont have people to play offline here :'D I need to seek a bit for my zone

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
When at higher %'s you barely need any smash attacks to even send people flying too, his tilts can even KO at the right %'s

Top Bottom