• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice Against Roy

King Elffy

Smash Rookie
I suppose this would count as a Roy thread. My brother is REALLY good with Roy. But only Roy. I have tried everything I can think of to beat him. Can anyone help? And please don't flame me for this thread in the Roy section.
p.s. He only uses the Smashes, up-B and B attacks

King Elffy

Smash Rookie
Ok. But do you have more of a strategy? All he does is clean up. He stands back and waits for someone to launch me, then charges in and up-smashes or up-Bs me.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
First, you need to have some patience when it comes to replies on this forum. It could take days, weeks, before someone will respond, though that usually is not the case.

Watch him on the screen, if he double jumps and you can knock him off of the edge, it's pretty much good game from there, unless he also happens to know his recovery very well.

If he is being a basic spammer with no tactic other than being opportunistic like you had said, then it should be pretty easy to take care of. Attack him and make him the middle of the fight. Instead of being a vulture, he'll have to fend for himself in the midst of battle, and that would mess anyone up.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
first, your bro is not "REALLY" good with roy. if he uses upb as an attack at any time, hes immediately considered a scrub (except reverse blazer on jiggs). you need to tell us your main first before we can help you. if you just play around, use marth and cstix the **** out of him.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Actually, you're an idiot. Roy Counters EVERYONE. So no surprise you can't win. The only way you CAN beat Roy is if you Roy ditto him. Plain and simple.

orintemple

Smash Lord
first, your bro is not "REALLY" good with roy. if he uses upb as an attack at any time, hes immediately considered a scrub (except reverse blazer on jiggs). you need to tell us your main first before we can help you. if you just play around, use marth and cstix the **** out of him.
I think the OP meant REALLY good compared to himself. Anyway there are a lot of ways to beat a Roy player. Easiest way is to take advantage of his poor recovery by edgeguarding(off-edge) with a good recovering character so you can make it back to the stage. I would not recommend Jigglypuff against Roy but someone like Fox, Marth, or even Pikachu(as long as you don't take too many smashes) should do the trick.

Although if you brother is overall just way more skilled than you then you will need to get better at the game or else it won't matter who you pick cause he'll beat you every time.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Try Mario cape him And Cstick him When you think he is going to forward smash And when he uses up b to get back cape him.
or just to tick him off use falco and just B Him from the other side of the stage.
Or use and projectile user and spam him, mainly Samus And super missle him.
Who is your Main Anyways???

ShuffleTrain

Smash Journeyman
Just knock the controller out of his hands or spit in his face.

That is how I finally beat my four year old nephew who mains Bowser and spams the shoulder buttons.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
My brother is REALLY good with Roy.
REALLY good???
p.s. He only uses the Smashes, up-B and B attacks
...are you sure you meant good??? Doesn't seem like it.

Yeah, if he only uses those moves, he can't be really good, no offense. If you want, you can use Marth and use Forward smash and forward tilt over and over.
If you want to get better at the game in general, start by learning advanced techniques and make your way to the Roy FAQ (to see Roy ups and downs) and make sure to take a look at the Roy Video Thread to see how competitive Roy players use Roy "the right way".

Links

Advanced Techniques:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wak+advanced+techniques
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=42749

Roy FAQ:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=51441

Roy Video Thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=80353

For which ever character you use, try looking up the stickied guide for that character and learn the current metagame of that character.

King Elffy

Smash Rookie
well i really dont have a main...sorta...i use IC alot and Samus...somtimes Marth so I guess my main would be IC. Im pretty good with Marth though...and your wrong about Roy countering everything...Im just to lazy to tell you why.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
^ This guy was joking
I'm getting tired. Seriously; No one is believing me. ROY COUNTERS EVERYONE. He counters everything and everyone. If the sun was thrown at Roy, he'd counter it. Plain and simple. Roy is the most awesome-sauce char this game or any game has ever seen. And you must respect him or die by his pwnlyness. PWNED.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
When I was really bad at this game, I used to make alot of posts like that.

Then...I realized it was rather annoying to most people, and I decided to put more knowledge into what I posted and get better at this game.

Eventually, I started winning matches AND made intelligent posts.

King Elffy

Smash Rookie
ok...so is anyone going to give me tips on how to beat Roy using Marth, IC, or Samus...cuz im all ears here...or are we just gonna talk about stuff we hate...oysters

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Go to character specific, go to the Marth, IC, or Samus forums, and ask fellow players who use those characters.

leefan

Smash Cadet
wow, is no one going to give serious advice? and if a roy just uses B moves, then most likely, it sucks balls. just take a marth and fsmash the hoe to death. ice climbers, ionno, i dont play him, try his section of the forums. samus, you should just missle cancel spam his ***. theres a reason why roy is low tier. his recovery is bad, take advantage of that. actually, if your spamming smashed and canceled missles via samus, that really wont matter much.
or of course, you can pick a character you like, and watch millions of professional videos of him/her playing roy, and learn the basic adv techs and techs unique to the char...
personally, i would use marth just to make a point that marth is better than roy.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
with Samus, if you can SWD, then just camp and then go in for a kill LOL

with IC, learn Grab comboing, chain grabbing, and wobbling. maybe even get him with the ICFG if it's just for fun.

with Marth, just go for tippers and Ken Combos.

Top Bottom