• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adventures with a fat keyboard, Fraps and a USB headset

asianaussie

Smash Hero
My short-lived commentary career begins and ends this month. Churning out vids with my 0.19mb/s upload internet. Screw you Australia.

matches are all friendlies, im not seeking advice because i know that i suck and nothing will remedy this lol

i will accept advice on how to improve the commentary, and maybe even background music requests

Session with Pete
Session with Blackshadow

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I've only watched like ten seconds of the aa (Falcon) vs Blackshadow (Fox) match, but a few things I've noticed.

1. that goddamn mouse pointer in the middle of the screen
2. in-game music is WAY too loud. can't hear you.
3. no need for background music. too much **** going on, making it even harder to hear and concentrate and whatever.
4. don't bother recording the game. record the playback. that way, there's no lag or anything. at least i think that's how this works?

Other than that, your accent is delicious, but unfortunately I can't comment on the content since I couldn't hear you without blowing my ear drums out from the in-game punching sounds. :awesome:

I briefly flipped through some of the other matches and noticed you rerecorded some of the commentary. That sounded good.

M!nt

Smash Champion
The music was fine, but yeah the sound effects were too loud.
Havent watched the blackshadow matches yet.
Nice matches though you're a funny guy.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
So I watched a few more of the Blackshadow matches and after getting accustomed to the volume, I enjoyed it quite a bit!

Sometimes it seems like you're doing less talking about the match and more "oogs" and "gahh"s and grunts and whatnot, but it was funny to hear you giggle when doing ridiculous things (reverse nairs with Link and dairs in the tent). Very amusing!

An advantage you have when commentating yourself is that you know how you play and what you want to do. I know there were a few times where you messed up a combo or something, and you sorta hinted that you messed it up ("ooohhhhh"), but it would be great if you could verbalize more what situations you found yourself in and why you acted as you did, or what you would/should have done.

It's always fun to hear what exactly is going on inside a players head.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Gotta love the elevator music in the last match with blackshadow.

But yeah, the sounds effect were a bit loud compared to the voice and the image quality could be better.

Good watch though.

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
maybe its cause you were being quiet but with your match against pete you sounded so pessimistic lol.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
So people wouldn't mind if I turned off the in-game volume completely?

I'm recording half-size and 30fps because behind-the-scenes trying for full quality killed my computer not once, but twice.

I guess I'll give good quality another go.

3. no need for background music. too much **** going on, making it even harder to hear and concentrate and whatever.
4. don't bother recording the game. record the playback. that way, there's no lag or anything. at least i think that's how this works?
I usually play (when I'm hosting/P2P) with background music and the in-game music off (but with SFX), it's just how I roll. I don't really want to change this up because I'm heartily sick of all the in-game tracks that aren't Yoshi's Island and Peach's Castle. Guess I'll slap on some touhou, nobody can complain about touhou...

Sometimes it seems like you're doing less talking about the match and more "oogs" and "gahh"s and grunts and whatnot, but it was funny to hear you giggle when doing ridiculous things (reverse nairs with Link and dairs in the tent). Very amusing!

An advantage you have when commentating yourself is that you know how you play and what you want to do. I know there were a few times where you messed up a combo or something, and you sorta hinted that you messed it up ("ooohhhhh"), but it would be great if you could verbalize more what situations you found yourself in and why you acted as you did, or what you would/should have done.

It's always fun to hear what exactly is going on inside a players head.
This is the reason I'm commentating live and not just from recording, since way way back when I did my first few commentaries I worked from recordings and was unable to understand some of my decisions - probably me getting better or something, I dunno. I'll do what I can to verbalize more of my gameplan, but this is much harder than it sounds - I know this both from psych theory and experience.

Also, it's to be special. Anyone and their mom can commentate a recorded match. And I would never show nearly as much personality when commentating on a recording.

One last question, are people ok with the quality of the play itself? I intend on playing some slightly lower level players, commentating on their habits and then linking them so they have a shot at improving. When I play vs Pete/ciaza etc I can't commentate and do as well as I normally do (though I normally lose regardless). This would give me more to say and also give me some room to explore some sillier options for characters.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
you're strange. i think anyone could listen to the dreamland music for years on end and never get sick of it.

though i am of course completely fine with touhou music instead (i found a really good track - kyuujigoku kaidou o yuku - you should totally play that).

asianaussie

Smash Hero
the reason i started doing this was half boredom, half because i watched the isai boom 12-char and thought at about 15 separate points 'wow if i could commentate on this it would have been reasonably awesome'

Olikus

Smash Champion
0.52 vs pete = lol

you tired man

I liked the 5.44 when you cathced him with an uptilt and said: said yeah got him. and sounded so amused. less yawning and more of those funny comments and you should be allright.

Top Bottom