• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advantages over regular Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternal euphoria

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4398-8837-3624
From what I've seen so far, Link and Toon Link play a very similar game. Are there any advantages/disadvantages of using Toon Link

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
They're really both a lot more alike in this game I feel. Here's what I think however.
Toon Link still definitely has the better keep away game. Link on the other hand has better kill potential and much much better range. There bombs both act very similarly now a part from Links being able to explode faster now.

Both characters can use BLC [Bomb Lag Cancel]
Links Arrow > BLC looks better from what I've seen.
Toon Link has a better Zair > BLC

A lot of similar things the characters have in this game there either better at or not as good as there counterpart. I'm glad Link is a lot more viable in this game but fighting against him is going to be a bit more of a pain now >.<

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
I have also notice Tink's smash have much less end lag than Link's, especially F Smash. Toon Link's options just seem much safe if he is been shielded.

Grantendo

Smash Rookie
Yea, I dont know why people say hes a clone! His up-smash, dash attack, and up-B are totally different... Toon link is more of a spam-camp then kill, and adult link is more of an aggressive attacker with heavy hits, but slow recovery, etc. Toon link is the one to play in this one due to his mid air game for sure.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
Toon Link is faster and shorter. Link is heavy and slow. They're similar, and Link does more damage, but his moves are severely punishable if not timed well.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Links F-Smash has KO potential, but as a trade off it is much harder to land the second strike (depending on opponents percentage of course) I find it is best to use the second strike in the last possible instance to be the most effective way to land it.

His Run-A is absolutely devastating, but due to his low speed it will be very difficult to connect with it.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
They're really both a lot more alike in this game I feel. Here's what I think however.
Toon Link still definitely has the better keep away game. Link on the other hand has better kill potential and much much better range. There bombs both act very similarly now a part from Links being able to explode faster now.

Both characters can use BLC [Bomb Lag Cancel]
Links Arrow > BLC looks better from what I've seen.
Toon Link has a better Zair > BLC

A lot of similar things the characters have in this game there either better at or not as good as there counterpart. I'm glad Link is a lot more viable in this game but fighting against him is going to be a bit more of a pain now >.<
What is BLC?

Anyway, Toon Link dies easier and Link kills quicker. Toon Link is better at racking up damage from projectiles, and Link has longer range with his sword. Fighting my friend's Peach, even with all the camping I did, it took only a few quick hits to shut him down. I prefer Link since he's more durable, but when I feel campy, I enjoy Toon Link too.

Yackabean

"He's shooting arrows out his butt" ~ Scotland
NNID
jack1996
3DS FC
3539-9728-7714
What is BLC?

Anyway, Toon Link dies easier and Link kills quicker. Toon Link is better at racking up damage from projectiles, and Link has longer range with his sword. Fighting my friend's Peach, even with all the camping I did, it took only a few quick hits to shut him down. I prefer Link since he's more durable, but when I feel campy, I enjoy Toon Link too.
BLC stands for 'Bomb Lag Cancel.' It allows us to cancel the animation of our ariel landing, air dodge landings and arrow landings by throwing a bomb with Down B.

Anyway the Peach MU is really good for her this time. Haven't played much as Link but when I have, I realised just how good he is because of his range and kill potential is. Toon Link struggles way much more finding that kill set up in my eyes. It's also two reasons to why Link is better up against Toon Link when they fight each other. He has a greater sword play game than Toon Link.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
What i wonder is why did Sakurai (if thats how u say it) nerf toonlink so much? I wonder what about his gameplay needed to be deminshed i just cant figure out. Maybe while they were trying to improve link they thought TL was still too strong so they decided to take away some of his abilities. They wanted to make them more even, though im not so sure they are .

2busywinning

Smash Rookie
I like Toon b/c he's faster. I do wish he had more kill power but you have to take the good with the bad... I like his nair a lot and his bair is also a go-to for me basically throughout the entire match. stupid stale moves kill me though

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Boomerang is better, Smaller hurtboxes.
Link has more moves that kill and is a bit slower with more lag.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
links running speed is slower but i dont know, he seems faster to me in terms of aerials and basic attacks seem about the same.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
This thread was only really relevant much earlier on. It would have been left to die off but recent activity which is essentially just spam at this stage has forced my hand. Any further discussion can be had in the social (though I personally don't see what the point would be at this stage).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom